User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New husband and wife team

Husband with class A and endorsements and wife needing to upgrade from a class B looking for a good company who can start us out right? We're on the Washington coast, in our early 50's and ready to get moving. Any suggestions? Who to look for? And who to stay away from?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Rookie

It seems i'm not asking my question correctly since I received absolutely no responses? To tell you a little more about our situation. I'm a 30+ year construction truck driver from Alaska, the wife and I have decided since the kids are all grown up and on their own that we would try team driving. And we were hoping some of the Husband and Wife teams out there could point us in the right direction as far as which companies to inquire? Thanks for your time.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

It's not an easy row to hoe. My guess is that your experience is mostly equipment and supply hauling in day cabs? If so, your experience most likely won't count in the eyes of training companies; which is what you'll be limited to because your wife needs training. That means that most companies are going to require you to, at a minimum, go out with a trainer. Your wife is going to have to attend truck driving school to get her Class A. You can either send her on your own dime or sign on with a company that has a school of its own or an affiliated school. If you have the resources, I would recommend the former. There are only a few companies that are doing full-fledged schooling and most of them (England, Central Refrigerated, Swift) don't have great reps. There are better training companies that will hire new graduates of driving schools and have reimbursement programs. Schneider and Gordon come to mind as two operating in the NW that have better than bottom-feeder reps. Schneider, in particular, is decent for teams. Your time with a trainer is much more palatable because you train as a team and the trainer doesn't drive; he simply observes from the passenger seat. They also pay for hotels so the training team and trainer aren't sharing a truck. Often the team gets the hotel because the trainer prefers to stay with his truck/stuff. Now, this is how they used to do things and I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but things may have changed.

I believe Gordon hires graduates, but I don't know anything about their training methods. They have a decent rep as far as training companies go. Interstate is in your area, but I don't think they hire graduates anymore. Might be worth a call though. May Trucking is NW heavy and I do believe they hire new drivers. Market Transport out of Portland may also hire newbies, but I'm not sure. TWT used to, but I don't believe they do anymore. I'm not sure if Knight is hiring graduates these days; they might be.

There are several mid-size companies in the NW. Most require some experience due to insurance but you never know until you call. Do some research on the web and make a few calls. As a husband/wife team, you'll be in demand. After you get that first year under your belt, you'll be able to hire on with just about anybody. But getting your wife her Class A and getting the two of you trained might be a trying time. Really, it all depends on your attitude; if you're good at adapting and not too high strung, it'll be a cakewalk. Most of the problems that drivers have, they bring on themselves. Keep a good attitude and an open mind, do your research and don't rush into anything and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Gordon, maybe the best choice for ya, maybe give CFI (Conway) out of Joplin,MO. a call, they like husband/wife teams
down the hill