User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default heartland express

Anyone of you gurus have info on heartland express, am interested. please follow up if you have an honest response. thanks Creed
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Default Heartland or Heartless?

I, too am interested in hearing the good, bad and the ugly about this company. I recently answered a Craigslist post regarding a regional job that supposedly will get me home EVERY week. It turned out to be Heartland Express. Ok, I'm open minded, I'll look into this. I'm getting tired of not going home for 2-3 weeks at a time and I like what I hear. But... I'm an adult. I know when a recruiter is blowing smoke up my skirt. So what can I really expect from this company? Poor miles, good miles? Good equipment, poor equipment?

I live in Las Vegas. No company has ever spent much effort recruiting out of this region and there's a reason for that: there just isn't much freight coming into or out of this area. So... anyone have something to offer in the way of anecdote or hearsay? We're all ears.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I worked for them a number of years ago. At that time they treated their drivers like dirt. I spoke with one of their drivers yesterday and he has been with them for about 7 years. He said he makes about $60,000/year, drives a 61 mph truck and is limited to driving 500 miles per day. I would try to find some current drivers and see what they have to say about them.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I called them a couple of years ago. After a couple minutes on the phone, I knew they weren't right for me.

1) You only fuel at their terminals unless absolutely without another option. And, yes, they run you out of route for this (recruiter told me that)
2) No power inverters of ANY kind, including ones that plug into a cig lighter socket. If they even find one in your truck (not connected), they immediately get rid of you (again, from the recruiter)
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Senior Board Member

There is an old thread or two on the forum that were written by drivers working at Heartland. You should find them and read them. There is also a former recruiter for Heartland on this forum. Maybe "Batman" will put away his keyboard long enough to answer your questions.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I did some more investigating on other boards and talked to the recruiter again. I will NOT be moving over to HE.

I have to fly right now but I'll be back to update my findings if anyone is interested.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Rookie

I've mostly heard not-so-good things about heartland express.. happened to meet one of their drivers a few years back... he was really unhappy working for them.. Said it was the same with all of their drivers.. Heartland doesn't treat them well. you'd be better-off not working with HE..
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

It is kind of a mixed bag from what I have heard over the years. They advertise a pretty decent pay, but most drivers seem to complain about not getting the miles to make it worth anything. Equipment seems about average as far as fleet spec'd goes. Best bet for you is to try and talk with current drivers there and see what they are saying.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Rookie

I did 3yrs with them, quit 10/2011. Did their SYSTEM and Regional out of JAX Fl. Made some good green with them, the trucks were nice, but NO inverters at all and no APU's. Trucks wont idle between a certain range ( I heard it has been adjusted somewhat) Didnt like not being under control of one dispatcher. You were at the mercy of whatever area termnl that you were in and they seemed to take care of the local guys, not you ! Stayed out 4 to 5 weeks and still couldnt get me home when i wanted to be there. I was driver of the month and never delivered a load late. Seems they would take care of a guy like me ??? If they had APU's I'd consider going back.