User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Republic services waste trucks

I know this is a little different that most of the questions on here but does anyone know about the company Republic services waste management company? How are the drivers treated, is it a good company? I heard they make real good money, 20+ an hour to start. Anyway I have an interview this week. Its for residential driver by the way. Thank you guys for any info, for any help.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Board Icon

With garbage, long hours quickly become the standard in any company. No matter how hard you try to get done quickly, dispatch will put more stops on your route sheet. Dad used to drive for the company Republic took over, BFI. He left at the takeover along with a bunch of others from 2 locations. A few stayed on to see how it would be before leaving themselves. I've heard Waste Management is better to work for as far as pay goes but it's the same garbage you will have to put up with. Buddy is with WM, a lot of days he is angry. Sometimes they work him out of his home location, sometimes they send him 150 miles away to work from another location in an area that is unknown and expect him to hit every stop in the same amount of time.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Well that was not encouraging, thank you for the info anyway though. They are union employees right?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Rookie

Oh and I have tried so many times to get into WM but I mean no sniffs, just once I had a phone interview. I applied the other day to WM for a roll-off driver position. Pay was really nice, 21 and change to start. I have NEVER driven a roll-off truck, is it an easy thing to learn and understand how to get the dumpster on and off the truck? I have driven a class B for 15 years but never a roll-off.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Board Icon

A roll-off takes some getting used to. There are times when you don't actually lift and slide the box onto you, instead you pull yourself under it while still sitting in the cab.

I have no idea about them(Republic) being union, the one's around me are not union.

I guess it depends on the area your in, the local WM is hiring every now and again for all sorts of trucks, residential, roll-off, front-end. They picked up a driver for roll-off who also had his haz-mat license from my neighboring company, paid him $24 or 25 to start. He wasn't complaining at all while he was with them.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks again Mr. Ford95. I have tried so many times to get into WM but for some odd reason have had no success. I mean I have driven a similar class B truck with air brakes for 15 years. I thought I'd be just what they were looking for. I want it because its a good paying local job, I could not care less about the hours, its local with good pay. There is a WM yard literally 5 minutes from my house. I really thought I was gonna get a WM commercial driver job, oh man talk about perfect. I would of loved that job I think. Anyway thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagetrucks View Post
Oh and I have tried so many times to get into WM but I mean no sniffs, just once I had a phone interview. I applied the other day to WM for a roll-off driver position. Pay was really nice, 21 and change to start. I have NEVER driven a roll-off truck, is it an easy thing to learn and understand how to get the dumpster on and off the truck? I have driven a class B for 15 years but never a roll-off.
Not sure where you live, however here in Central Florida, the Waste Management and Republic Services guys dont make a whole lot, Waste management starts guys at $13 and change but you will do residential before you do anything else rolloffs and frontloads are choice and given to drivers via senority and openings. The same goes for Republic Seriveces except I think they get 14 to 15 to start, plus their equiptment looks cleaner then WM.. Neither one of these outfits is Union. The Union in florida is about as usefull as an ice maker in Antartica, so you really would not be missing out on anything other then giving your hard earned pay to someone else..

Timberwolf
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Rookie

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKS FOR REPUBLIC.. NEGOTIATING THEIR CONTRACT.. NOT GOOD FOR DRIVERS.. MOST MONEY WILL GO TO DRIVERS THAT WILL RETIRE SOON.. NOT MUCH LEFT FOR OTHERS.. UNION YES. PAY IN BUT GOOD LUCK GETTING ANY OUT.. PLENTY OF BS UNLESS YOUR" one of the boys meaning you have a friend in management or higher.. or are not from this country....
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Rookie