User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Barrelburner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A free western state
Posts: 50
Default Sherwin Williams?

Can anyone tell me anything about driving for Sherwin Williams?

I live near the Truckee Meadows area.
__________________
...another place, where the faces are so cold
I'd drive all night just to get back home
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Default

All I know of them is I see a lot of them driving from Reno to Portland all year long. That means running 395, 97 and 58 in the winter.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
feederfred's Avatar
Board Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Frostbite Falls, Nevada
Posts: 364
Default Sherwin Williams

If you look closely at the trucks, you will see that they are a contract carrier leased to Sherwin Williams. The drivers are not Sherwin Williams employees. I think the company is called CTL Lines or something like that. SW recently closed it's LA distribution center and moved some of it to Sparks.
__________________
"What did BROWN do TO ME ?????
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Scoe's Avatar
Administrator
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred View Post
If you look closely at the trucks, you will see that they are a contract carrier leased to Sherwin Williams. The drivers are not Sherwin Williams employees. I think the company is called CTL Lines or something like that. SW recently closed it's LA distribution center and moved some of it to Sparks.
Partially true. I drove for CTS (Contract Transportation Systems) based out of Reno for about 4 years. While it appears to be a separate company it is actually just a subsidiary of Sherwin Williams. Just an accounting procedure, all my benefits and pay checks came from Sherwin Williams.

Now, back to the original question. It was one of the best paying and better driving jobs I ever held. They don't pay strictly by the hour or by the mile. They pay activity pay and everything you do is compensated. Somethings are flat rated, some mileage, some hourly. When I worked there I was based in Portland and they brought loads out of Reno to me that I would deliver in Seattle or meet the truck in Eugene and deliver in Portland. Once a month or so they would have me go down to Reno so they could remember what I looked like. The last time I worked for them was in 2005 and maybe things are different now but I would expect to make at least 60 if not 70k a year for them running the western states.
__________________
"In trucking, 2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do!!"





Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 975
Default

i delivered to the one in pa the other day. they did have some o/o's in and also some company drivers. if i'm not mistaken it was CTS. the company drivers were real nice and all seemed to really enjoy working there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Barrelburner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A free western state
Posts: 50
Default

How are the benefits?

With Crete, I'm paying $3840/year to have health insurance for me and my family. Then I pay the first $850 of covered charges per person before the insurance kicks in.
__________________
...another place, where the faces are so cold
I'd drive all night just to get back home
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Scoe's Avatar
Administrator
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelburner View Post
How are the benefits?

With Crete, I'm paying $3840/year to have health insurance for me and my family. Then I pay the first $850 of covered charges per person before the insurance kicks in.
You can look up the exact benefits on the Sherwin Williams employment site. When I worked there I only had insurance on myself and it was like $80 a month. The 401k was a dollar for dollar match up to 6%, in other words if you contributed 6% you would actually be getting 12% put in. After you have been there 5 years the provide you with a SEP of another 6% for retirement. They also had many bonuses, one bonus was just for turning in your log books with out any errors.
__________________
"In trucking, 2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do!!"





Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Barrelburner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A free western state
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe View Post
You can look up the exact benefits on the Sherwin Williams employment site. When I worked there I only had insurance on myself and it was like $80 a month. The 401k was a dollar for dollar match up to 6%, in other words if you contributed 6% you would actually be getting 12% put in. After you have been there 5 years the provide you with a SEP of another 6% for retirement. They also had many bonuses, one bonus was just for turning in your log books with out any errors.
Thank you for your reply

It sounds like CTS has the same benefits as the rest of Sherwin Williams. I guess that I am just used to trucking companies offering lower-tier benefits for drivers.

At Crete, the company match portion of the 401k plan is 10% of the first 5% that the employee contributes..that's right, it works out to 0.5% of your income
__________________
...another place, where the faces are so cold
I'd drive all night just to get back home
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Barrelburner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A free western state
Posts: 50
Default

Thanks for the replies...I am on my first run with CTS today
__________________
...another place, where the faces are so cold
I'd drive all night just to get back home
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Scoe's Avatar
Administrator
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,889
Default

Good luck. Keep me posted as to what's changed, etc. since I was there.
__________________
"In trucking, 2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do!!"





Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.