User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default From Skateboard to Dry box

Now that I have a little time and a good WiFi conection I thought I would start this new thread and make the cut from Arrow.
Its been a fun but frustrating career move, going from Retail to a Big Truck driver. It's now time for a change from what I liked doing, Skateboard, to all I can say is the easy life of dry box.

I might jump back over to Flatbedding but for right now, i'm enjoying the less work. Don't get me wrong, having to learn how to use a load bar or a load strap and dealing with sometimes boredom of sitting up against a dock is a negative. Not to mention all these different delivery times.

I wave at the other box drivers or say hi and they either grunt or don't wave. I have gotten to speak with some guys but for the most part they aren't as friendly as a skateboard drivers.

Why is that?

So I am off and running again but will keep tabs on the Arrow Thread....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2 View Post
Now that I have a little time and a good WiFi conection I thought I would start this new thread and make the cut from Arrow.
Its been a fun but frustrating career move, going from Retail to a Big Truck driver. It's now time for a change from what I liked doing, Skateboard, to all I can say is the easy life of dry box.

I might jump back over to Flatbedding but for right now, i'm enjoying the less work. Don't get me wrong, having to learn how to use a load bar or a load strap and dealing with sometimes boredom of sitting up against a dock is a negative. Not to mention all these different delivery times.

I wave at the other box drivers or say hi and they either grunt or don't wave. I have gotten to speak with some guys but for the most part they aren't as friendly as a skateboard drivers.

Why is that?

So I am off and running again but will keep tabs on the Arrow Thread....
Because they are Cyborgs; You will be assimilated!!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Board Regular

Well..... :whistle:opcorn::booze:Still sitting here not moving..... alot of trucks here.

Im at the Pilot at exit 99 on I-5

The lot is full right now. you should have seen sunday and monday nite. Trucks parked on the sides, a couple sitting in the fuel island. 2 trucks were sitting next to the scale.

Not much movement, I've seen the same trucks/drivers for 2 days now. They delivered yestrday morning and hustled back to grab a spot later that morning.

havent seen any arrow trucks yet.

Its about 65-70 and I have a central referidgerated truck next to me. The male and female were just arguing :argue:about nothing... now they are idiling away. Hope they leave soon.

can ya tell i'm bored....
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM

All I've done is pull a box, either dry or reefer. It is definitely easier than tarping or chaining on a skateboard. My dad has always pulled a dry van, he says flatbedding is too much like work... lol

I don't think van pullers are any more or less friendly than any other type of truck driver. I've met total jerks that pull all types of trailers and good guys that do the same. You talked about the guys you met working at Arrow who wouldn't help anyone else tarp or chain or didn't even want your help. That just proves it. There are good and bad in all. But, there are a lot of guys who pull a van trailer. This is the biggest segment of truck drivers without a doubt so you could be running into a bunch of jerks. I for one sit around a talk to other drivers while I'm waiting for a load in a terminal or a truckstop. I've met drivers at my company that won't hardly get out of the truck. When I was stuck in St. Louis for 3 days, there was some other drivers the same amount of time. One guy was there as long as I was and I only saw him when he came in to use the bathroom, or use the microwave.

I wish you the best of luck pulling these box vans. I'll probably never run into you out on the road since you run western region and I run southeastern region for Heartland, but I've enjoyed reading your posts about Arrow and now with JB. Hope everything goes well. Keep us updated!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
All I've done is pull a box, either dry or reefer. It is definitely easier than tarping or chaining on a skateboard. My dad has always pulled a dry van, he says flatbedding is too much like work... lol

I don't think van pullers are any more or less friendly than any other type of truck driver. I've met total jerks that pull all types of trailers and good guys that do the same. You talked about the guys you met working at Arrow who wouldn't help anyone else tarp or chain or didn't even want your help. That just proves it. There are good and bad in all. But, there are a lot of guys who pull a van trailer. This is the biggest segment of truck drivers without a doubt so you could be running into a bunch of jerks. I for one sit around a talk to other drivers while I'm waiting for a load in a terminal or a truckstop. I've met drivers at my company that won't hardly get out of the truck. When I was stuck in St. Louis for 3 days, there was some other drivers the same amount of time. One guy was there as long as I was and I only saw him when he came in to use the bathroom, or use the microwave.

I wish you the best of luck pulling these box vans. I'll probably never run into you out on the road since you run western region and I run southeastern region for Heartland, but I've enjoyed reading your posts about Arrow and now with JB. Hope everything goes well. Keep us updated!
Thanks P A Frederick,

I agree there are jerks that pull different trailers but for some reason it just seems like the box drivers tend to keep to themselves. But your right, I did have say a fellow Arrow driver did hang out in his truck while a few of us did help eachother.

Since I'm new to box driving and still plain just new i'll shut up about it for now.....

Heck never say never about running into eachother..... maybe i'll get a load running east and you get a load running west and we stop at the same place and watch UFO's fly by:lol:
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Board Regular

well, at 2215 i'll have completed a 34 reset. :zzz:

I have a load that I'll drop/hook up in Marysville, WA and run down to Pico Rivera, CA before 3pm friday. did the drop yesterday for 1572 and fri should give me 1243 and then off to the house. If Im figuring it right i'll gross 1041.55... figure net around 850.00

better then arrow and alot less work. I did have to do a reset and be out a little longer.....though....
Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Board Regular

Ill say this....If your new and trying to blind side into a parking space ya need to get out and look to see what your doing.

I'm watching a female team trying to back into a spot here blind side. she's shaking her head and getting flustered. Her co-driver is in the wrong spot, another driver has gotten out to help her into the hole.

GOAL and not soccer or hockey:thumbsup:
Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2 View Post
Heck never say never about running into eachother..... maybe i'll get a load running east and you get a load running west and we stop at the same place and watch UFO's fly by:lol:
Yeah tell me about it..
I've finally made my long awaited highly anticipated comeback to CAD and what do ya know...A few days later, Double R is stalking me through Pittsburgh again today..:thumbsup:

As far as flatbedders being more freidnly.....I dont know..
I try to be friendly as possible and usually overly helpful, but it seems that no matter where I park when I get to one of my stops, I'm always in someones way and they're in the biggest hurry of their life and always ask me to move. Drives me freakin MAD! Oh well..Thats part of the deal I guess. Good luck with the dry vans, I'm interested to know how it works out pay wise considering the hours wasted sitting at docks. Hopefully you get paid for that.

Anywho, good luck.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard View Post
Yeah tell me about it..
I've finally made my long awaited highly anticipated comeback to CAD and what do ya know...A few days later, Double R is stalking me through Pittsburgh again today..:thumbsup:

As far as flatbedders being more freidnly.....I dont know..
I try to be friendly as possible and usually overly helpful, but it seems that no matter where I park when I get to one of my stops, I'm always in someones way and they're in the biggest hurry of their life and always ask me to move. Drives me freakin MAD! Oh well..Thats part of the deal I guess. Good luck with the dry vans, I'm interested to know how it works out pay wise considering the hours wasted sitting at docks. Hopefully you get paid for that.

Anywho, good luck.
Were you hiding??
Old 06-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

You mean you didnt notice??
AGHHH!!!!
Next time, I'm gonna sing everyone a swan song! You watch and see buddy! Then you'll notice me!

Adapt and overcome.