User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have my 3rd (and hopefully final) interview with Wal-Mart the 1st week of January. Hopefully after 7yrs of trying, I can get on. It made a major help that they now process all their apps thru an outside company and corporate now hires the drivers instead of a driver commitee at each location...... I got my fingers crossed
Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I have my 3rd (and hopefully final) interview with Wal-Mart the 1st week of January. Hopefully after 7yrs of trying, I can get on. It made a major help that they now process all their apps thru an outside company and corporate now hires the drivers instead of a driver commitee at each location...... I got my fingers crossed
Congratulations & best of luck... That's definately one of the top company jobs out there as I understand it. They even pay when you're parked for the night in the truck. Don't forget us little people.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Hmm..I'm new to the world of driving, but I've never known Wal-Mart to outsource deliveries. Product creation is one thing (although I think all the products are manufactured in Arkansas), but Wal-Mart is a multi-million (billion?) dollar company. They're constantly making money, hiring on new people and providing incentives. I would be totally shocked if Wal-Mart pulled a move like the one you assumed. I realize that it's not completely impossible, but I think Wal-mart is a better company that what a lot of people say.

In short, never fear. Wal-mart is here!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckn00b View Post
Hmm..I'm new to the world of driving, but I've never known Wal-Mart to outsource deliveries. Product creation is one thing (although I think all the products are manufactured in Arkansas), but Wal-Mart is a multi-million (billion?) dollar company. They're constantly making money, hiring on new people and providing incentives. I would be totally shocked if Wal-Mart pulled a move like the one you assumed. I realize that it's not completely impossible, but I think Wal-mart is a better company that what a lot of people say.

Wal-Mart has it's own Private Fleet, but also outsources to contract carriers such as Schneider, Werner, and Swift. Mainly for their grocery division, and all of their reefer division is outside carriers. The main reason for doing this is that Wal-Mart only has to pay the outside carriers for their delivery miles, the deadhead back to the DC is all out of the carriers pocket as wal-mart does not pay for this. In the long run, they save money by using outside carriers.

As I stated, my father has been with Wal-Mart for 25yrs (of his 45yr career) and he has been the transportation and saftey administrator up until 2yrs ago when he went back on the road (daycab driver) I know all the ins and outs, the little secrets and hidden features they offer. While they are a great company to work for and about the best paying in the biz (avg $80k yr) they also have their set-backs such as bad health insurance and 401k isn't too great either. But like my dad stated, he is treated well and paid equally well, so he doesn't mind finding outside sources for his health and retirement.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
and all of their reefer division is outside carriers, the deadhead back to the DC is all out of the carriers pocket as wal-mart does not pay for this.
Not true.. they pull reefer's out of their Pottsville PA warehouse and out of a warehouse in Maine... and wal-mart must pay for all miles with their trailer's.. at least in the grocery department..
Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Hmm..I'm new to the world of driving, but I've never known Wal-Mart to outsource deliveries.
Let's see, Great Wide runs loads out of the McCarran terminal, England runs out of the Cheyenne terminal, Swift out of the Red Bluff terminal. There's probably a few more I'm missing here on the west coast, yes, Walmart out sources.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Board Regular

Greatwide also has the Paul's Valley, OK grocery DC (and AWG in OKC,OK)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckn00b View Post

All their products made in Arkansas? Wake up and smell the sweet-and-sour chicken! Wal-Mart used to pride theirselves on American-made products, but I doubt that many of their non-food items are made in the US anymore.
As for outside carriers, I'm surprised they even have a private fleet anymore, rather than doing like DG and outsourcing ALL their transportation.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Board Regular
Default Oh yes they do...

I have a good friend that works at the Apple Valley, CA. Wal-Mart DC as a driver. Over the past couple of years, they have seen a steady decrease in their miles driven, as more DC to store trips are performed by Schneider and Swift. In addition, Walmart is in the process of building a new grocery DC in the Barstow, CA area. All runs out of this new DC will be operated by Swift Transportation. My friend seems to think the days of Walmart operating it's own fleet are numbered, due to the constant rate cutting by the Swifts and Schneider's, among others. As much as they may like to have their own fleet, with their store profits not where they used to be, and the closing of a lot of Sam's Clubs, they may be looking at just that.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Rookie

I was wondering the same thing seeing all those Swift tractors pulling WM loads up and down the 5 frwy. Thanks for the new insight on what is really going on boys.