User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Like the Clash once asked, should I stay or should I go

Here's the thing... I have been at a small company in south Ga. for 18 mnths. I make .35 a mile an get home when I want and stay out when I want, been home since Thursday afternoon and was home every night last week. I pretty much go when an where I want.Took wife with me a few weeks ago to Spokane Wa. got empty on Thursday and was asked to stay until Monday for a high paying load. I asked for a motel and rental car so we could sight see,no problem. I have made $41000 so far this year and they are good to me. Those are the positive's. The negitive's are, they lease trucks through ryder and they are junk, very small (just a seat/bed basiclly), the southeast business we did in the past is shrinking so I have to stay out longer an go farther to make as much and the truck is very uncomfortable, they expect me to run illegal and everything has to be delivered first thing in the morning no matter how far. no benifits, no bonuses, .35 is top pay no more, can't take truck home so I drive 30 miles each way to work wasting my fuel.

I have talked to a few Celedon drivers in the past few weeks and they all had positive things to say.I called and am in orientation in 2 weeks. I am getting worried that I am letting a few negitives about the truck lead me from a good job to Celedon and they will turn out to be awful. Are there any current Celedon drivers that can give me some help. Like I said the ones I talked to on the road seemed very happy and they all drove big new Prostars so.........

Thanks

Last edited by eptp88; 10-23-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

How important is that freedom ( out when you want, home when you want, go where you want ) to you??? They set you up with a motel room and a rental car for 3-4 days with NO problem. $.35/mile is a fair pay IMHO. Your at 41k so far this year, so you should be around 48k-49k for the year, so it seems they keep you moving good. Not sure exactly what part of South Ga. your in but the cost of living for Ga. in general is fairly low so you are bringing home some good $ for this region. All VERY good reasons to stay put.

Now for the bad:

Driving a crappy truck......sit down with them and ask about an up-grade. The company I work for leases through Ryder and they can get any truck or model you ask for. They (Ryder) are not a one brand/model provider. Sit down and TALK with your employer. Offer solutions to the "maybe" higher cost of the lease. ( Could you stay out a little longer, not get as tired running those illegal hours?) Offer compromise. As far as no benefits, don't worry about that.......Obama has that covered for you ( ha ha ). The top pay thing.... is that carved in stone and forever???? I don't think so. Everyone knows that people need a COL ( cost of living ) raise. I haven't had one for two years now but these are strange times indeed. Tell them that you know times are tough right now and you are glade to hade a job but ask what their FUTURE plans are. 1/2 cent a year is a good average.

I'll be back to address other things later.......... supper is ready!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Sounded like a decent job until you said this:
Quote:
they expect me to run illegal

Is it worth it?

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

they expect me to run illegal
Csa.2010 That's all i have to say.. :smokin:

how do i get the blue quote thing to work????

Last edited by freebirdrfd; 10-24-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 AM

Double R and Ridge Runner both give excellent advice. My experience is that it's always greener on the other side of the tracks - until you get there. Just as Double R suggested, TALK to the folks at the home office. Do it tactfully and you may be surprised.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I would talk to your current employer and address your concerns. You don't have anything to lose since you've already planned on leaving. I would maybe stay if they get a different truck and run legal but there's still the no benefits deal to think about. Definitely a hard decision you're faced with