User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Need suggestions on companies to check with - preventable wreck on record

My husband is looking for work, but we are having a lot of difficulties finding a company who will hire him. The details are below and any advice on companies to check with is much appreciated. We are DESPERATE for him to find work after being a single-income family for almost three years.

My husband drove for Star Transportation out of Nashville, TN for three and a half years. Prior to obtaining his CDL, he drove tow trucks and shuttle buses for several years and had no at-fault accidents while doing so. While with Star, he obtained 1 and 2 year safe driving awards.

On March 26, 2008, he was involved in an intersection crash that was ruled preventable and was released from his job. He was cited for "Failure to Use Due Caution" as a result of the accident. Due to miscommunication, the ticket was not paid in time and his license was suspended. It took us almost two years to save up the money to pay off the resulting fees and fines, but his CDL is now active. He has not worked since the wreck.

We are running into dead ends with every company we check with. Everyone is telling him no for one of several reasons:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]

Does anyone have ANY suggestions on companies to check with?? We are looking for that ONE company that will look past the issues that occurred as a result of the accident and will pay more attention to the years of safe driving he had prior to the wreck.

We live in upper middle Tennessee, but at this point, we don't care where the terminal is located.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 PM

if you can, have him take a refresher course, then most of the student companies shouldn't have a problem hiring him i would think.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Rookie

We looked into him doing a refresher course, but due to only having one income and our credit being in the toilet after a home foreclosure shortly after the wreck, we can't afford to pay for one. The school that did his original training offered free job placement/refreshers for life, but they closed down last year. Another door slamming.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Default sorry

i'm sorry to tell you but from what you have said your husband is going to find it harder that you think to find a driving job.

1st the preventable alone would make it hard to get a driving job--- that you already know.
2nd having had his license suspended is even worse.
3rd not working for 3 years is as bad.
4th with csa 2010 starting he is more or less unemployable as a truck driver.

your husband's record is bad and doing a refresher course woud help BUT the student companies will not touch him because of the preventable, suspended, ticket & the 3 year unemployment.

all he can do is start calling every company he can find and see if he can find anyone (even if he hates the company) that will give him a shot.

sorry to say it realy doesn't look good....
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLeah View Post
We are running into dead ends with every company we check with. Everyone is telling him no for one of several reasons:[*]He's been unemployed for almost three years
I think that's the major hurdle right there. I don't know of too many folks, trucking or otherwise, that would be willing to hire someone who was unemployed for more than a month or two, much less three years. The best thing I can think of is to just find some form of employment to get some money rolling in (even if it isn't much) and try to piece his employment record back together. Good luck with that quest, though.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

maybe try something local like a logging company, cement or a dump truck operation?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
maybe try something local like a logging company, cement or a dump truck operation?
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Try a local garbage hauler, construction company, paving company, septic company etc. Just to get his azz back in the seat for a year or so and to get the money coming back in for you guys! Good luck and keep plugging...