User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stevens Transport

I have been leaning toward Stevens and was wondering if any drivers out there could tell me anything about them. I have not found hardly anything from a driver stand point on them good or bad. I found one thread on another forum from about 2 or 3 years ago, all negative, but no one posting actually had worked for them. Any information would be helpful as I have narrowed it down to just a few companies, but like I said, I am currently leaning towards Stevens. Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Board Member

they're another crappy coolie carrier that doesn't pay worth a damn, and they're actually based out of mesquite, tx. they're no different than the rest of the non-unionized, non-specialized companies. you're better off getting into specialized commodities. there is no future in reefer, dry vans, and common flatbed junk.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Board Icon

From what I've heard, Stevens' drivers are out a month at a time, and they come home for a couple days. They pay around 30 cents per mile, and you run all 48 states. You haul just about anything you can cram into a 53' trailer.
As far as how the company treats drivers, I have no clue. Who knows, they might know ya by name when you walk into the office.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM

They told me that I would be out 4-5 weeks but back 4-5 days at a time....so that part sounds truthful so far, my biggest concern though, is with the miles. They don't pay quite as much per mile as a few of the other companies, but Stevens is claiming 3000+ miles a week on avg, even governed at 62 while it seems most other companies are hanging around 2500 maybe a little more and some of them arent governed. They do claim to average over 1500 a trip, but so do a few of the other companies as well. I am going through school on my own, so I have a few more options as to where I can start out at, just want to make sure the company I plan on working for isn't a complete lie. I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps, so I know that recruiters lie, that doesn't bother me, just want to make sure I with the company that was MORE honest and a better fit. Stevens seems a little more strict than the other companies I have researched and that aspect I like.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member

if you're wise, you'll come to find out that the coolie carriers are all one in the same. the only difference is the logo. if you're real intelligent, you'll find a local driving gig that pays well or go into something that is specialized. however, many of the specialized companies require some years of experience, solid work history, and clean MVR. keep your nose clean and protect that CDL at all costs. don't become one of those job hoppers. in the end, it'll cost you. you'll then become one of the many who cycles from one super chitty company to another.

what ever you do, DO NOT lease a truck. if you decide down the road to become an owner-operator, go to a dealership and get a truck the old fashioned way. if your credit isn't good enough to do so, then don't ever bother leasing from the company you drive for.

trucking company recruiters will tell you anything you wanna hear. take what they say with a grain of salt.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
if you're wise, you'll come to find out that the coolie carriers are all one in the same. the only difference is the logo. if you're real intelligent, you'll find a local driving gig that pays well or go into something that is specialized. however, many of the specialized companies require some years of experience, solid work history, and clean MVR. keep your nose clean and protect that CDL at all costs. don't become one of those job hoppers. in the end, it'll cost you. you'll then become one of the many who cycles from one super chitty company to another.

what ever you do, DO NOT lease a truck. if you decide down the road to become an owner-operator, go to a dealership and get a truck the old fashioned way. if your credit isn't good enough to do so, then don't ever bother leasing from the company you drive for.

trucking company recruiters will tell you anything you wanna hear. take what they say with a grain of salt.

x 10000000000000 :thumbsup:
Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM

One of my good friends is with Stevens and has been with them the last 2 years he is about to quit them I think. He is out 4-6 weeks and home 4-5 days and gets bugged 2 days into his hometime to get back out, I've heard him arguing with his DM many times over the phone. He makes .35/mi now, they stick him on the East coast a lot of the time, he lives in California. He says they give him a lot of hand count loads. He spent the last week shuttling trailers in Southern California. I remember one time him telling me they sent him between Boston and NYC for 2 weeks straight. The trucks are governed at 62 and many don't have jake brakes. Trucks cannot be taken home and only parked at approved Stevens locations his location is over 50 miles away. I have not worked there myself just going by what he has told me many many times he is a straight up honest guy (veteran) and have little reason to doubt him. I hope this helps. I know he does not care for them at all he is like a lot of people and just trying to get his experience and move on.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Yeah, I knew they send you out for long periods of time, and that's my biggest concern. I would like to get home a little more often than that but I like the miles they get. I live just off I-20 and have a Love's and a TA right here by my house, so unless they lied to me on that, those are approved parking facilities for me so thats not a problem. I do appreciate the info as I am a veteran as well and their military style of doing things (at least from what I have read) is what attracted me to them to begin with.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Board Regular

Stevens likes to push their fleece program really hard! I think you can do alot better than them! With them being a lower end coolie carrier, you're gonna get sent to most of the crap grocery and refrigerated warehouses
Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Thanks.....that I am NOT wanting to get into....If I were going to be an O/O I'm not going to lease a vehicle that I am making regular or higher payments on and not have a vehicle to show for it in the end, and I'm not going to be an O/O until I have plenty of experience in the business and feel that I can manage it on my own. That is if I decide to take on being one ever. Anyway, thanks again for more input, trying to find out as much as possible about the few companies that were near the top of my list. Most of them were coolie carriers simply because they are "driver mills" and I don't have the experience, but I am slowly learning now that I have more opportunities than I thought before since I will be going through school on my own. I knew it would open up a few doors, but I did not realize how many companies actually do recruit out of school provided it is a reputable school.