User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Questionable flatbed pay

An OH-based flatbed outfit that I was recently in touch with, said that they pay 34cpm for loaded miles, and 17 cpm ( no, that's not a typo ) for empty miles. Also, no days off on national holidays for the first year. And they're a union outfit !!!!

Is this standard industry practice ? How much deadheading does flatbedding normally involve ?

Also, with companies that pay percentage ( say 24 % ), how much does the CPM work out to, on an average ?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
An OH-based flatbed outfit that I was recently in touch with, said that they pay 34cpm for loaded miles, and 17 cpm ( no, that's not a typo ) for empty miles. Also, no days off on national holidays for the first year. And they're a union outfit !!!!

Is this standard industry practice ? How much deadheading does flatbedding normally involve ?

Also, with companies that pay percentage ( say 24 % ), how much does the CPM work out to, on an average ?
Flatbedding can involve significant deadheading, just like any aspect of trucking, it just depends on available freight in the area.

As for companies that pay a percentage the only way to get a cpm figure is to do the math on a load by load basis. Some loads may pay more than others for several reasons (value of the cargo, multiple stops, etc.) so the only way to get a cpm figure to get the amount the load pays and divide by the miles you'll have to drive to get there.

as far as the pay .34 loaded/.17 empty seems a bit low for a union job, even for a newbie with none of that all-powerful seniority. I'd get verification on that.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Who? Just had a friend leave a union flatbed job in your area.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post

It sounds strange that they would not have days off, but it may be that you will need to work for those with more seniority.

Until about 2 years ago, my deadhead was around 10%. Since the economy tanked I have had to deadhead as much as 30% or more. Things have picked up so I don't necessarily need to deadhead so much. Deadheading depends on the availability of freight and lanes in which you haul. You will usually have less deadheading if you are not particular where you go.

One thing about working percentage is that each load will usually pay a different rate. In order to get a good idea of your actual pay per mile you will need to look at several loads and average rates. Over-sized or specialized loads should pay a higher rate than legal loads. I would ask the carrier with whom you plan on working to see if they can give you an average. When you work percentage you are not normally paid deadhead miles, but your percentage pay should offset any deadhead.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 AM

Nick Strimbu?

I would not work for those wages. I quit TMC at $0.38 on all miles and had all holidays off.

where are you located? I'm just outside of Grove City. unless you're partial to flatbed I know of a much better paying company that hires in our area.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES

Last edited by carterbeauford; 05-07-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
Nick Strimbu?

I would not work for those wages. I quit TMC at $0.38 on all miles and had all holidays off.

where are you located? I'm just outside of Grove City. unless you're partial to flatbed I know of a much better paying company that hires in our area.
I'm not really partial to flatbed. I would prefer tankers above all else, since most of my experience is in hauling pneumatic dry bulkers and doubles ( super b trains ). I recently passed the Hazmat test, and have obtained all the other endorsements on my CDL. I'm waiting for the background check to be completed. But, I have an open mind, and am keeping my options open, be it tankers, vans, or flatbeds. I live in New Castle.