User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Local Swift drivers in Phoenix

I might (and I stress the word "might") be relocating to the Phoenix area. Long story short... my dad wants to go out there and because of his health he doesnt need to be alone so I will be going with him. I already have a job there with the company I am with, but if that doesnt work out I want other options lined up. Swift is based in Phoenix so I'm sure they have local (LTL) drivers (please correct me if I am wrong) and was wondering if anyone has any info/thoughts/opinions on these positions. I know Swift has a less-than-stellar reputation as an OTR company, but I have no interest in driving for them OTR, just looking into a local position (I have to be home regularly to check on my dad). Other info on other LTL/local driver jobs in the Phoenix area are appreciated as well. I realize most will require hazmat and probably doubles/triples as well, and I am willing to get those. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Board Regular

Not a swift driver but living about 9 miles from the terminal west off of I-10 i've seen my fair share of daycabs when at home. I also noticed they haul alot of containers between the ports and Phoenix when coming off hometime and headed to the LA area to get a load. Its at least worth looking in to. The other option if you have more than 5 years driving experience is their driving academy. I've seen a few times positions listed there for that. Just another option to consider...

SAIA has had driving and dock positions listed for quite a while now. My wife put in for both but was never contacted, but its worth a shot. Doubles/triples and hazmat required. Another that I would be interested in is Heritage trucking... heavy haul and flatbed stuff. Not sure if their hiring or your experience but they want 3+ years of experience... nothing listed for flatbed experience though.

CTI Inc. is there... flatbed, dry bulk, tankers, etc. I found them one day looking. I've never contacted them about positions but I look at them once in a while. Only place i've seen on the website listed having an opening is Victorville, CA but thats been up there about 6 months now.

Shamrock foods has postings for Tank drivers pretty frequently. Their farm is like 58 miles or something SW of Phoenix. They've also had local delivery drivers listed.

Fedex has had posting there for linehaul drivers. Most recently I saw it was just after Christmas.

Frito Lay in Casa Grande (30 miles south I believe) has a plant there. No positions open as of now but a good one to keep in mind.

Autozone had a posting for a Hostler driver on their site at the warehouse about a month ago. Another worth checking into.

A few others that are there that I haven't looked into in quite a while include Petsmart, some paper company that escapes me, Con-way Freight (I know their not hiring right now per the shop guys when I was there for a PM at the first of the year), ABF, UPS, a few other milk carriers in Buckeye, United Petroleum (I see alot of their daycab trucks there), Duncan & Son lines (not hiring now).

I'm not in the market for a new job now but I always keep my options open and look around about twice a month to see whats there. Feel free to message me if you wanna know anything else. There are a few of us Phoenix guys lingering around here who i'm sure would answer questions too.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Wow... more out there than I thought there was. Thanks alot!

I only have 4 years driving experience... one year OTR in a dry box, one year in food-service delivery pulling reefer pups, and the other two years in a daycab pulling 48' and 53' dry vans (what I'm doing now). No flatbed experience but its something I've been wanting to try.