User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Prospective Companies

I've talked with several folks on here about leads on jobs, none have panned out, they all want a minimum of 1 year OTR. I have 6 years all local and no logging. I take it I'm stuck with looking at Swift, Werner, the starter companies for a year minimum correct? Which is the best of the worst there for a year? I've got 1 more locally to give a call to, I have spoken sparingly with the owner's son about driving for them. The only problem is what to do during the offseason, work in a warehouse for them or sit at home, not sure how they would do that.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey since you dealt wit concrete, Give Atlantic Bulk a call.. They had an ad in the paper about 2 weeks ago.. Welcome to Atlantic Bulk Carriers
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Hey since you dealt wit concrete, Give Atlantic Bulk a call.. They had an ad in the paper about 2 weeks ago.. Welcome to Atlantic Bulk Carriers

There ya go Mr. Ford! Didn't know you were in the market for a job...sorry....I woulda been throwing out a suggestion or two!

And....Mr Hawk young man.......weren't you looking?? Did you talk with them??

Mr. Ford.....How about these guys as well..... American Bulk Commodities Inc. I see them up and down the coast...as well as in the midwest.

Or....How about these guys..... Southern Tank Transport, Inc. - Employment

Some choices to look at.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I was looking but imma stay put right now, i gotta local gig thats paying me around 530 to 600 take home and home daily.. its just the hour ride thats kicking my ass back and forth.. if can pay somethings off im looking at getting a place down there
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Board Icon

Yeah 'stan I'm looking around and not just of the trucking side right now, looking at govt. jobs. They just pulled something very similar to what Arrow pulled with their people. Shutdown this past Tuesday early and didn't tell us until a few hours after we had all gone home that we are closed till this coming Tuesday. Asked about our checks, told we'd have to wait till Tuesday afternoon to get them.............

The only thing about tanker is I do not have that endorsement yet. I know I know, just have to go to DMV to take the written test on it which isn't a biggie. I also do not have Hazmat. I think Atlantic has a place in Richmond. Southern's place is about a 3-3.5 hour ride from the house down in Giles Co.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

How do you look in orange?

Schneider to Hire 2,100 Regional Drivers | Journal of Commerce

"The customer demand for our regional service has exceeded our expectations and created enough freight density to get drivers home weekly,"
Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Yeah 'stan I'm looking around and not just of the trucking side right now, looking at govt. jobs. They just pulled something very similar to what Arrow pulled with their people. Shutdown this past Tuesday early and didn't tell us until a few hours after we had all gone home that we are closed till this coming Tuesday. Asked about our checks, told we'd have to wait till Tuesday afternoon to get them.............

The only thing about tanker is I do not have that endorsement yet. I know I know, just have to go to DMV to take the written test on it which isn't a biggie. I also do not have Hazmat. I think Atlantic has a place in Richmond. Southern's place is about a 3-3.5 hour ride from the house down in Giles Co.

May I suggest..... TSA.

TSA: Our Careers

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

My sister is in her 3rd year with them, and say's if you can make it past the "Back biting", you'll have a pension coming eventually.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, a buddy has been keeping an eye out for the TSA, neither of us has seem anything but that site changes everyday. The hardest part on getting a govt. job has been finding one that doesn't require a degree but also pays at least the same I'm currently making, $34-37K. Seems the only jobs not requiring a degree are janitor's and that doesn't pay but $20K.

CD, I have contacted Schneider but haven't heard anything back from them.............not sure I like that, means they got a problem with communication.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Yeah, a buddy has been keeping an eye out for the TSA, neither of us has seem anything but that site changes everyday. The hardest part on getting a govt. job has been finding one that doesn't require a degree but also pays at least the same I'm currently making, $34-37K. Seems the only jobs not requiring a degree are janitor's and that doesn't pay but $20K.

CD, I have contacted Schneider but haven't heard anything back from them.............not sure I like that, means they got a problem with communication.

Mr. F........You don't need a degree to be a Security Officer at one of the airport's. Just pass the required exams and and interviews. Sis started at $29K her first year, now she is at $43K in her 3rd.

The better your communication skills, the faster you progress through TSA. "Mumblers" get moved out the door fairly quickly according to Sis. Even though "we" don't notice that aspect of it. If you are a Vet, you have a "shoe-in" the door!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Mr. F........You don't need a degree to be a Security Officer at one of the airport's. Just pass the required exams and and interviews. Sis started at $29K her first year, now she is at $43K in her 3rd.

The better your communication skills, the faster you progress through TSA. "Mumblers" get moved out the door fairly quickly according to Sis. Even though "we" don't notice that aspect of it. If you are a Vet, you have a "shoe-in" the door!
I always thought it was "hold the weight and look scary" to get into something like that.
Eh, I love the autonomy at my current post.