User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Knight out of Fontana, CA

Looking for info on Knight out of Fontana. In reading past threads, the info seems to vary greatly. (naturally, I guess)

As I understand, the particular terminal makes a difference. I realize MTs will be hard to find.

Is anyone happy there?

Do dispatchers leave you alone? As in, not hassling you too much.

How long is the average run?

Is it possible to take home-time in different parts of the country?

Is it possible to get a decent dispatcher?

Can anyone recommend a dispatcher?

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Looking for info on Knight out of Fontana. In reading past threads, the info seems to vary greatly. (naturally, I guess) knight is mostly run out of the phoenix terminal. their safety nazi is also big on the no u-turn policy, and will fire anybody caught doing one in a public road, regardless of the reason. he's also full of crap. he says a lot of bullcrap and doesn't follow up on it. oh yeah, he'll also tell you to drive with two flat tires while loaded.

As I understand, the particular terminal makes a difference. I realize MTs will be hard to find. kevin knight will do ANYTHING it takes to hold on to the company's fortune 200 status. kevin knight is the typical POS, money hungry mormon. there are plenty of perfectly good trailers being sold everywhere within the company. good luck finding that golden empty within the so-cal area. if you do find one, you will probably be told to go drop it somewhere, or something else in the effect that you cannot have the empty. if you don't comply, you'll sit for a very long time.

Is anyone happy there? the newbies are. it's only because they're too new to really understand why it is they're being run into the ground while the experienced drivers are sitting without loads. when they finally wake up and smell the coffee, they bolt real quick.

Do dispatchers leave you alone? As in, not hassling you too much. depends on how well you do the job. some babysit no matter what. depends on your dispatcher.

How long is the average run? 400 - 600mi

Is it possible to take home-time in different parts of the country? maybe.

Is it possible to get a decent dispatcher? depends on luck of the draw.

Can anyone recommend a dispatcher? i'm recommending that you don't come to this company. it's run like a giant frat/sorority house. i know for a fact that knight is undercutting swift on many accounts as well as jb hunt, heartland, and schneider. you're better off finding a better company to drive for.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok, so who would you recommend?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
knight is mostly run out of the phoenix terminal. their safety nazi is also big on the no u-turn policy, and will fire anybody caught doing one in a public road, regardless of the reason. he's also full of crap. he says a lot of bullcrap and doesn't follow up on it. oh yeah, he'll also tell you to drive with two flat tires while loaded.

. kevin knight will do ANYTHING it takes to hold on to the company's fortune 200 status. kevin knight is the typical POS, money hungry mormon. there are plenty of perfectly good trailers being sold everywhere within the company. good luck finding that golden empty within the so-cal area. if you do find one, you will probably be told to go drop it somewhere, or something else in the effect that you cannot have the empty. if you don't comply, you'll sit for a very long time.

i'm recommending that you don't come to this company. it's run like a giant frat/sorority house. i know for a fact that knight is undercutting swift on many accounts as well as jb hunt, heartland, and schneider. you're better off finding a better company to drive for.

I take it that the young lad is not having fun at Knight!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I take it that the young lad is not having fun at Knight!
hell no i'm not! only here until i find something that is truly worth it. i don't care if i have to move up to canada for it, either. i'd be willing to move up there! hell, i'll even deal with the french-canadian people if i must!

dle: i would recommend the OP check into companies that aren't mormon owned and ones that haul the specialized commodities. there isn't really any money to be had hauling the dry crap, refrigerated junk, and most of the regular flat bed nonsense.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Rookie

Syncro: Thanks for the info. Appreciate the honesty. My gut feeling was that it was a pretty bad place to be a driver.

The relatively nice volvos seem to make one think ...maybe it's not so bad. No matter where I'm at, I seem to always see Knights bobtailed. I'll keep away. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretolearn View Post
Syncro: Thanks for the info. Appreciate the honesty. My gut feeling was that it was a pretty bad place to be a driver.

The relatively nice volvos seem to make one think ...maybe it's not so bad. No matter where I'm at, I seem to always see Knights bobtailed. I'll keep away. Thanks again.
no problem, heretolearn! glad i saved you from making a terrible mistake! the relatively nice equipment is basically a facade that helps hide the clown running the whole show. many of them are actually pretty close to being rolling pieces of crap. they will not fix it if it costs more than $300, even at a knight terminal where their "mechanics" are being paid wages that only immigrants would be thrilled about.

many of those bobtails you see driving around are drivers who are most likely searching for that empty trailer. another crappy thing here at "your hometown national carrier" is that they have cut down the speed even more on most of the trucks. the one i'm currently in does 61 on the pedal and 59 on cruise control. it's pure HELL driving in most of the states with exception to oregon, california, and maybe washington. i'm nothing but a mobile target, and the drivers of passenger vehicles really love clinging to me much more than before. i solve that by taking an exit or steering them into pot holes and/or road obstructions. a few weeks ago, i steered a driver of an over-modified rice rocket into a tractor-trailer tire that was in the middle of the far right lane. i laughed my ass off as i saw his crappy front spoiler tear off, and a headlight came out. he immediately took the next exit.

one last thing before i go. this company has also gone electronic. the days of cheating on paper are now over.

Last edited by Syncrosonix; 02-02-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

good stuff syncro!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I've talked to several drivers out of Charlotte, NC. They are all happy more or less. I guess it is true that the terminal you work out of makes all of the difference. Thats true for every company as each has its own people and personality.

Not finding an empty in LaLa Land is the same for every company out there as is the freight especially in the winter. Its like finding something in South Florida.

I would hesitate to base my employment future with a company on the recommendation of one obviously disgruntled employee.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
hell no i'm not! only here until i find something that is truly worth it. i don't care if i have to move up to canada for it, either. i'd be willing to move up there! hell, i'll even deal with the french-canadian people if i must!
You first have to pass the spelling test. Can you spell Canada?

(ummm C., eh?... N., eh?... D., eh? )