User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anybody work for Knight? Other recommendations for companies?

Hi...I currently work for a bottom of toilet company (just being honest...they are terrible). I am looking for a new job. I have 22 months experience in last 3 years (and a class A license with TX endorsements and a passport). I also have a spotless record for accidents, tickets, duis, positive drug test, felonies, misdemeanors, out of service, logs, overweight, etc. I live near O'Hare airport in the Chicago burbs.

Knight called me and want to hire me. What are the pros and cons of them? How much hometime and time out for real? What is the actual pay (approximately that you will make)? They told me 2500 miles/week. Is that accurate?

Also, any other companies you guys can recommend? I want to get something lined up before I give my notice.

Just be honest. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Board Regular

I'm going to be a dick and say right off the bat,"do a search" Knight was discussed recently and I doubt things have changed within a month. You are basically going from one bad job to another IMO. Knights standard sales pitch is 2500 miles blah blah blah. They won't tell how you'll have to search for hours, unpaid to find empties, nor their terrible routing, nor the decrease in pay(.04 since I left them,in good terms, in 06), nor the fact that you can do better.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Board Member

In this economy a firm job offer isn't a bad thing to have. There are a couple of threads on this sight about Knight. Just like any other company good and bad comments. If you live near a terminal you might have good luck with them.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Where is Syncro-shnizzledude??? He works...or worked for.... Knight...these last couple months!!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Recommendations for a company to check in to? All depends on what you want in a company, where you want to run, how long you want to stay out, etc.

I will jump in though, and recommend the one I am with.... Fremont Contract Carriers out of Fremont, NE. A smaller carrier (100 company, 200 O/O) that has vans and flats. I am in the Midwest Regional side and get me home every weekend and holidays and for anything else I need to get home for. Meanwhile, I make as much or more than I ever did running 48 and Canada. I live in Iowa, but am in or thru the Chicago area every week. We have a drop lot in Romeoville. The insurance is BC/BS. Good company equipment with APU's. I work the O/O side (started as company driver for them) and there is no preference of company trucks vs. O/O for freight. Good family atmosphere and a good customer base. Sit time is minimal. None of the waiting two days for a load crap. Most wait is a few hours to maybe overnight to pickup the next morning. The fleet managers are REQUIRED to have 80% of their assigned trucks pre booked for freight the next day before they can go home that night.

They are hiring some drivers. There is not a large turnover, so they are a little picky. They want good, reliable drivers. They expect you to do the job legally and operations has a leash on them to make them cater to legal. No saying they want legal and then playing games with drivers. But keep in mind, when you have hours to run, you better be working and not goofing off. But you will not be forced to run illegal and not be penalized for not doing so. Just communicate what your hours are and what you can do. They will plan the freight on that. You do have to take an active role in communicating your hours to them. Don't expect them to keep track of hours for you. They expect you to be an adult and act like it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Recommendations for a company to check in to? All depends on what you want in a company, where you want to run, how long you want to stay out, etc.

I will jump in though, and recommend the one I am with.... Fremont Contract Carriers out of Fremont, NE. A smaller carrier (100 company, 200 O/O) that has vans and flats. I am in the Midwest Regional side and get me home every weekend and holidays and for anything else I need to get home for. Meanwhile, I make as much or more than I ever did running 48 and Canada. I live in Iowa, but am in or thru the Chicago area every week. We have a drop lot in Romeoville. The insurance is BC/BS. Good company equipment with APU's. I work the O/O side (started as company driver for them) and there is no preference of company trucks vs. O/O for freight. Good family atmosphere and a good customer base. Sit time is minimal. None of the waiting two days for a load crap. Most wait is a few hours to maybe overnight to pickup the next morning. The fleet managers are REQUIRED to have 80% of their assigned trucks pre booked for freight the next day before they can go home that night.

They are hiring some drivers. There is not a large turnover, so they are a little picky. They want good, reliable drivers. They expect you to do the job legally and operations has a leash on them to make them cater to legal. No saying they want legal and then playing games with drivers. But keep in mind, when you have hours to run, you better be working and not goofing off. But you will not be forced to run illegal and not be penalized for not doing so. Just communicate what your hours are and what you can do. They will plan the freight on that. You do have to take an active role in communicating your hours to them. Don't expect them to keep track of hours for you. They expect you to be an adult and act like it.
Sounds like one of the few, smaller companies that actually likes to keep its ducks in a row.
But, that's the MidWest and I'm in the fool's gold state, so that's one major difference.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Sounds like one of the few, smaller companies that actually likes to keep its ducks in a row.
But, that's the MidWest and I'm in the fool's gold state, so that's one major difference.
Fremont does 48 state as well. I only stated I was in the Midwest Region.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Fremont does 48 state as well. I only stated I was in the Midwest Region.
Well, there aren't as many well-equipped ones here and many are not really basing operations here anymore due to those clean-air rules.

Other than that, the 48 state operation sounds attractive.