User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Barr Nunn info?

Any Barr Nunn drivers around? Curious what the status is over there. We've had a few drivers calling in today saying Barr Nunn is struggling and they're looking to jump ship before it sinks...one was from a very long-term guy over there, so I put a little more stock into that than the standard driver.

Yeah, yeah, I know...trucker talk. That's why I always check here with current guys that might be driving for a company to see what's up?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member

I loved that movie.....Farris You're my hero!

Oh Yeah! --- I think that was a one hit wonder for Yellow.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I've got a friend (10+ yr. driver) that's been with them for about a year and a half now and was perfectly happy with them up until the last few months.

Hasn't really spoken bad about them (he's no complainer) but I DO know he's actively seeking another company....

That tells me somethings up because he's also not a "job-hopper".
Old 04-26-2008, 03:24 PM

As far as their actual financial status, I don't know. I have talked to several drivers who have been with Barr-Nunn for years who are looking elsewhere now.

While I have not had any problems getting reimbursed for scale tickets, getting reimbursed for parking, florida tolls, and headlights have taken many weeks and phone calls to get reimbursed. On the phone, I am usually told, "Oh, I see that and I don't know why the reimbursement hasn't gone through yet. It will be on your next check." About half the time, it takes another phone call and another payweek for it to appear on my check.

They recently sent out a message tells us that they were looking at cutting the trucks back to 62 mph from 66 mph in order to save money on fuel. They wanted our responses to that and whether we thought it would be a good idea or not. Of course, I felt that they have made up their minds about it and just wanted to 1. forwarn their drivers, and 2. find out how many drivers it would upset.

They also changed their layover pay. Now you have to sit for 34 hours in order to qualify for layover pay. After the initial 34 hours, layover is paid on a 24 hour basis. They raised the layover pay from $60 to $80 per day, but you have to sit for 34 hours to start to qualify for it. Now, sitting long enough for layover pay is very unusual (at least with my dispatcher), but it would really suck to sit for 24-30 hours and not get layover pay for it.

Loads seem to still be strong though. I still get good miles. They are mot splitting the shorter loads like they had been doing. You can get paid a little more per mile for shorter loads, but you have to pick up and deliver. If you pick up or drop at a droplot or split the load with another driver, you don't get the extra per mile pay. For a while earlier this year, they were splitting a lot of loads without needing to. I guess to save the extra couple of cents per mile. But that doesn't seem to be happening now.

Like I said above, I don't know their actual finanacial status. I have talked to several drivers who have said that from their experiences, Barr-Nunn is acting like a company with major problems. But, with fuel prices the way they are, what company isn't have problems and trying to find ways to cut costs?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Thanks for the info, Alkele. It's been sounding like a little more than CB talk.

And you're right. Lots of companies are hurting right now.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Rookie

I still work for Barr Nunn (formerly known as Jagerbomber). I have been a pretty strong defender of the company but I will say that things have certainly slowed down in a big way for a lot of drivers there in the last couple of months and they are starting to slowly but surely institute some new policies that I think will certainly run off some drivers new and old....one of those policies they just kicked in is that they no longer pay layover after 24 hours...you have to be without a load for 34 hours to qualify for layover then every 24 hours after that. Thats just one of the new ridiculous things. 34 hours is way past un-reasonable to wait for a load without getting paid a dime. It is still a decent company to work for but I think they are slowly but surely moving from an above average company to an everyday middle of the road nothing special about them carrier and I think its going to drive that turn over rate throuh the roof. I am currently looking to move on myself and if you go back and read alot of my old Jagerbomber posts you will se i have been a very strong defender of the company in the past. I'm not going to badmouth them and trash them but i think they are headed in the wrong direction.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Board Regular
Default Barr-Nunn and Hometime

Since 1993 a Barr-Nunn driver down the road from me has had his rig parked EVERY Friday. I don't know the guy/gal and have never spoke to the person. But, it amazes me that EVERY weekend (and Holiday) for the last FIFTEEN years he/she has been home. It is a Barr-Nunn truck not a lease truck or IC. I thought I was getting home early yesterday (around 1600), sure enough his rig was already parked. I smiled to myself and thought no way can Barr-Nunn be a bad company. One of these days I am gonna go knock on his/her door and get the scoop.

That's my Barr-Nunn personal observation - 15 years of verifiable weekends and Holidays at home.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Rookie

Getting you home is the one thing Barr Nunn has really impressed me with, you will very rarely find a driver complain about their hometime policies. But what we are doing during the week in between leaving and getting home is what is getting bad, trust me its not just newcomers that are complaining, I run to other Barr Nunn drivers alot at our regular customers and there are alot of long timers from the company that are getting fed up with the changes and are sticking the hooks in the water at other places. If you talk to the long time guys they will tell you just how much the company has changed from only just a few years ago.Different management, a drastic change in freight lanes and coverage areas, a switch from running all 48 to just barely ever hitting Colorado and running mostly short haul that is paying them good and leaving us hanging waiting for loads. Plus as i said, they just switched our layover policy from 24 hours to 34. Most of the changes are not for the better. But yeah, they definitely do honor the weekends home thing if you are on regional.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Barr-Nunn and Hometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
Since 1993 a Barr-Nunn driver down the road from me has had his rig parked EVERY Friday. I don't know the guy/gal and have never spoke to the person. But, it amazes me that EVERY weekend (and Holiday) for the last FIFTEEN years he/she has been home. It is a Barr-Nunn truck not a lease truck or IC. I thought I was getting home early yesterday (around 1600), sure enough his rig was already parked. I smiled to myself and thought no way can Barr-Nunn be a bad company. One of these days I am gonna go knock on his/her door and get the scoop.

That's my Barr-Nunn personal observation - 15 years of verifiable weekends and Holidays at home.
Takes a lot more than reliable hometime to make a good company.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Barr-Nunn and Hometime

Really fried your brain coming up with that retort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver

Takes a lot more than reliable hometime to make a good company.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.