User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yes, they do get you home for your hometime. I have been home a day early a couple of times. But, I have been talking to a number of drivers who are either looking elsewhere or are getting nervous. Too many changes lately and none of them benefit the driver, only benefits Barr-Nunn.

I talked to a driver who lives in NY state a little over a week ago. He told me that about 2 weeks before, the company told him that he and all drivers living in NY state had 30 days to find a new job because the company was laying off all NY state drivers. He said he was told that it was because Barr-Nunn didn't have enough freight in NY state and that fuel prices were too high. Actually sounds like they need to get the guy/gal who is supposed to getting loads in NY and rip them a new one. Get rid of good drivers and keep the sales staff that can't get loads? Makes sense to me.

Don't know how true this one is, but I talked to an O/O who was telling me that a company driver he knows is leaving Barr-Nunn because he has already been at 2 different companies that went under totally. These 2 companies had the same person in charge, and now this person is one of the top people at Barr-Nunn. So, he (the driver) is figuring on getting out early instead of being blindsided.

Same O/O told me that he is only getting 2000 miles per week and every now and then gets 2500 miles. Said that every O/O he has talked to is telling him the same thing. Also, Barr-Nunn is revoking the Fuel Guarantee and replacing it with a 2 cents per mile increase. Said he would be losing about $700 per month on that. He said he felt that Barr-Nunn was trying to get rid of O/O's. Didn't want to tell him that I have been getting 2800-3500 miles a week lately.

Hopefully Barr-Nunn makes some positive changes soon and we can get them posted up here.

BTW, did anyone catch that thing about Schneider going to be dropping their trucks down to 60 MPH?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
BTW, did anyone catch that thing about Schneider going to be dropping their trucks down to 60 MPH?
They already did just a short time ago. There was a story over on Layover about it being part of their attempt to be the largest and most environmentally friendly trucking company out there. Makes you wonder if Al Gore is on the board of directors.

:roll:

Old 05-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKELE
Yes, they do get you home for your hometime. I have been home a day early a couple of times. But, I have been talking to a number of drivers who are either looking elsewhere or are getting nervous. Too many changes lately and none of them benefit the driver, only benefits Barr-Nunn.

I talked to a driver who lives in NY state a little over a week ago. He told me that about 2 weeks before, the company told him that he and all drivers living in NY state had 30 days to find a new job because the company was laying off all NY state drivers. He said he was told that it was because Barr-Nunn didn't have enough freight in NY state and that fuel prices were too high. Actually sounds like they need to get the guy/gal who is supposed to getting loads in NY and rip them a new one. Get rid of good drivers and keep the sales staff that can't get loads? Makes sense to me.

Don't know how true this one is, but I talked to an O/O who was telling me that a company driver he knows is leaving Barr-Nunn because he has already been at 2 different companies that went under totally. These 2 companies had the same person in charge, and now this person is one of the top people at Barr-Nunn. So, he (the driver) is figuring on getting out early instead of being blindsided.

Same O/O told me that he is only getting 2000 miles per week and every now and then gets 2500 miles. Said that every O/O he has talked to is telling him the same thing. Also, Barr-Nunn is revoking the Fuel Guarantee and replacing it with a 2 cents per mile increase. Said he would be losing about $700 per month on that. He said he felt that Barr-Nunn was trying to get rid of O/O's. Didn't want to tell him that I have been getting 2800-3500 miles a week lately.

Hopefully Barr-Nunn makes some positive changes soon and we can get them posted up here.

I know about the guy you are speaking of that is mostly running the company and I have heard from another long timer at the company the same things about failure following the guy around.
And i also got bitten first hand with the new 34 hour layover policy this week. Sat for 34 hours but after subtracting the time for the deadhead miles it only came to 31 or so without a load. No pay for me. Its such a lovely new system that I know they had the best interest of the drivers in mind when they came up with it.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Rookie

don"t go there. they will do to you what a baby does to it"s diapers. they fired me and then boned me on my DAC. i had 100 percent on time delivery. they promised me home all weekends and gave me few. run away do not go or stay at barr-nunn.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Board Icon

Nice pull, grade a.
I thought this was a new thread, til I looked at the date(s).

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKELE View Post
They recently sent out a message tells us that they were looking at cutting the trucks back to 62 mph from 66 mph in order to save money on fuel. They wanted our responses to that and whether we thought it would be a good idea or not. Of course, I felt that they have made up their minds about it and just wanted to 1. forwarn their drivers, and 2. find out how many drivers it would upset.

Every company that pulls this is going about it the wrong way. Want to save fuel mileage, then offer the driver 80% of the fuel savings above a certain level, say 6.5 mpg. The company would still save a bundle of money in fuel and wear on the truck and the driver would have a REAL incentive to operate the truck in a way to save fuel. Both sides win and the driver can then expect to make a little something for not being able to cover as much ground in a 11 hr cycle. And the truck would still have the speed when needed to start a hill or pass on a two lane road. I know, insurance companies also strong arm the companies to slow the trucks down, but there is no real safety gains. If the driver doesn't want to make any attempt to do things right, then show him/her to the door. Don't penalize the good ones.

Oh well, what do I know. I operate the truck I own in a way to get the most out of my fuel and tires. I bank the savings and I can still bury the speedometer if I need to get into it.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Default $1000 Sign On Bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grade a View Post
don"t go there. they will do to you what a baby does to it"s diapers. they fired me and then boned me on my DAC. i had 100 percent on time delivery. they promised me home all weekends and gave me few. run away do not go or stay at barr-nunn.
How did they bone you on your DAC?

A thousand dollar sign on bonus sounds pretty good. Too bad they whacked their CPM so much during the last year.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj View Post
Takes a lot more than reliable hometime to make a good company.
:rofl: