View Poll Results: When applying to a company what percent of your decision is based on the quality of equipment you'll
0% 1 5.26%
10% 0 0%
20% 1 5.26%
30% 1 5.26%
40% 1 5.26%
50% 4 21.05%
60% 3 15.79%
70% 4 21.05%
80% 0 0%
90% 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Company equipment

I was just wondering how much people factor in a company's equipment when applying to them. For instance KJ trucking out of Farmington,NY seem to have mostly mid 90's internationals with small flat tops. I really didn't think much about them. But recently they changes thier name to Priorty Transportation and bought all new International 9400i's with 72" hi rise sleepers. This made me become more interested. But it turns out I needed to be 23. Of course you have to consider that the company probably now owes quite a bit of money to someone. Which means drivers don't get as much money as they could. Anyways, what's everyone's take on company equipment?
Old 07-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know where 100% option went but just use 90%. But if you base your whole decision on what equipment a company has and not on pay, benefits and all the other stuff then you have a screw loose!!! :lol: lol
Old 07-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Of course you have to consider that the company probably now owes quite a bit of money to someone. Which means drivers don't get as much money as they could.
Ah, another YOUNGIN' sees the light.

Quite a bit of consideration about the equipment must be taken into account. No one wants to drive an unsafe piece of shit just to make a few more dollars, not to mention the the dreaded D.O.T/DMV inspectors just waiting to put a truck out of service... Lots of lost time there! However, as the TK person has stated the companies with the *circus wagons* don't pay as well and don't begin to cover the basic needs as far as benefits. Now, of course, there is an exception to everything as some one will, no doubt, point out!!!

Old 07-18-2004, 05:02 PM

Newer, thats all i care about. The truck needs to be a newer model, clean and in good condition. Right now i drive a 379 Pete and don't like it. It is only 2 years old and taken care of. But it doesn't have much room inside. Some of the companies I have looked at run Internationals, Pete 387's, T600's and Freightshakers. Speed is another important factor to some. I really dont care as long as it is at-least 65mph. If a truck can go faster then i will follow right along. I dont get tickets with slower trucks so their ok with me. :lol:

As far as pay and benes go. Most companies I look at pay relatively the same per mile, within a couple pennies. benefits all seem fairly close also. most have basic health for driver and family. medical, dental and some sort of lousy optical plan. The cost does make a difference and can be quite alot. Running areas do mean alot to me. A company that runs the east coast alot is usually off my list. But an occasional trip there doesn't bother me.

With all that said the truck plays a big role in decision time. I have driven my fair share of junky nasty old trucks and dont care to do it again. But, if they want to pay me for my time and the pay is up there I'll drive what they have. I wont drive a non road ready truck and have stressed my share of truck owners with repair bills. They can either fix it or a shop can. It will either get fixed or parked. 8)

If all things are equal or very close. I'll take the nicer truck.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Quote:
Of course you have to consider that the company probably now owes quite a bit of money to someone. Which means drivers don't get as much money as they could.
Ah, another YOUNGIN' sees the light.

Quite a bit of consideration about the equipment must be taken into account. No one wants to drive an unsafe piece of $&!+ just to make a few more dollars, not to mention the the dreaded D.O.T/DMV inspectors just waiting to put a truck out of service... Lots of lost time there! However, as the TK person has stated the companies with the *circus wagons* don't pay as well and don't begin to cover the basic needs as far as benefits. Now, of course, there is an exception to everything as some one will, no doubt, point out!!!
Dr. Who,
I was reading your response and sitting back relaxing with a nice glass of ice water which I nearly choked on when I read your signature!
:lol:
Old 08-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Rookie

I chose 30%. I'm currently in school and still comparing companies, and I'm trying to find a good balance between pay, hometime, and the equipment I'll be using. I don't have to consider benefits much, my wife has a good, stable job and excellent benefits. A company's reputation also has to fit in there as well.

I don't need anything fancy, but I do want to be in something that is safe, reliable, and comfortable enough to live in. Another consideration regarding equipment is transmission.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices to three companies right now.

One company leads in pay, pretty good hometime, but I've heard the equipment isn't quite as nice, and the company is moving to autoshift. Again, I can live with the "not as nice," but if I end up not liking the company and want to move on, or go local, my lack of manual experience will really hurt me.

The second company doesn't pay quite as much but close, hometime is adequate (at my minimum), and the equipment is pretty good.

The third has good equipment, best hometime, but pay sucks. I'm afraid the low rate of pay would cancel out the hometime because even if I could go home, I couldn't afford to be NOT running.

So if I had to make my decision today, it would be the second company as it seems to provide the best balance.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Well as far as trucks and room inside. I have never driven a marmon or a westernstar. But I have had petes,freightshakers,KW,volvo and internationals. And they where all condo's. And out of all of them I found the volvo to have the most room.