User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driver Demand?

Anybody have any thoughts on when the demand for drivers will return??
Old 07-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

The demand for which drivers? The safe, experienced drivers or the I have a crappy work and driving record and I need to work for an outlaw carrier because nobody else would hire me.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 AM

I don't know, but I have recieved 6 e-mails from Schneider last week telling me they are in serious need of experienced drivers? Not sure what that means, but it could'nt hurt to check them out. I used to get them all the time then they kinda went away, but they are back saying they have weathered the economy and are at the top of their game and are now looking for drivers.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Board Regular

yeah, sni seems to be stepping it up a notch.
i now see billboards advertising solo dry van dedicated around milwaukee.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Rookie

I start for sni on aug 1st, I just wanted to sign up for part time, western regional. Been driving for 35 years, they are gonna hire more in the Fontana, Ca terminal
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I am starting to see a little upshift in driver demand, though this is going to be a slow process. I sense, from reading a lot of industry publications and watching the government mucking up the system with various moves, that any increased demand will be for O/O first before any real upsurge in company drivers. Driver experience/quality being equal, it is easier to bring on O/O than company drivers. With company drivers, you have to invest in equipment and have the tax and benefits issues to deal with. A lot of companies are not really ready to invest in equipment, and with the threat of ObamaCare, Cap & Trade environmental legislation, etc looming on the horizon, it is less risky to meet any increased demand by using O/O until the demand is more stable, then they will consider buying equipment and bringing on more company drivers. If timed right, it may be a good thing for someone considering getting a truck of their own, but the risk is greater than in the past. But, if timed right, it may turn out to be a real good thing. No one knows at this point. Kinda like trying to get in on that buying that stock that is poised to go thru the roof. It could tank and you lose all your investment.

Demand is slowly coming back. I am running my log book into the ground. But freight isn't stable yet.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I am starting to see a little upshift in driver demand, though this is going to be a slow process. I sense, from reading a lot of industry publications and watching the government mucking up the system with various moves, that any increased demand will be for O/O first before any real upsurge in company drivers. Driver experience/quality being equal, it is easier to bring on O/O than company drivers. With company drivers, you have to invest in equipment and have the tax and benefits issues to deal with. A lot of companies are not really ready to invest in equipment, and with the threat of ObamaCare, Cap & Trade environmental legislation, etc looming on the horizon, it is less risky to meet any increased demand by using O/O until the demand is more stable, then they will consider buying equipment and bringing on more company drivers. If timed right, it may be a good thing for someone considering getting a truck of their own, but the risk is greater than in the past. But, if timed right, it may turn out to be a real good thing. No one knows at this point. Kinda like trying to get in on that buying that stock that is poised to go thru the roof. It could tank and you lose all your investment.

Demand is slowly coming back. I am running my log book into the ground. But freight isn't stable yet.

You make a good point. However lots of these big companies have equipment parked. They will hire company drivers first to get a return on that capital investment before turning to OO's in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

You would be right if the carrier has equipment parked. A lot of them have unloaded tractors a while back and never ordered any replacement. My carrier hasn't made a purchase in a while. While not a LARGE carrier, they are about average size for most carriers (200-500 trucks). Since these medium sized carriers still as a whole make up a very large segement of the entire trucking industry, they will not invest in new equipment on an economic upturn unless they are positive that the upturn is here to stay. To fill the gap in that time span, it is more prudent to bring on contractors so that there is no capitol investment to leave their neck out on the chopping block. Also makes for a lot simpler accounting with no rise in medical insurance or workmans comp costs you would have with bringing on employees. This is not only the direction that trucking will go temporarily. It is already happening in other industries. They are contracting out extra work and production until they see what the future holds. Hear about this all the time on the business channels on XM/Sirius, even they feel that transportation will do this on the short term. My carrier is already looking at a few O/O to bring on, but are staying tight fisted about investing in employees. Of course, JB, Swift, Schneider, etc will always be hiring at some level. As large as they are, they are only a small portion of the 3.5 million trucks in the industry.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I want fresh Prime Rib on every buffet!

I want every load to pay me $2.00 per hub mile!

I want to only work Monday, Tuesday and half of Wednesday, only work a total of 4 months each year and gross $221,000 every year.

I want every fuel desk attendant to be 22, blonde and helpful!

I want every fuel desk to be efficient and have zero lines, and zero waits for showers!

I want a new truck every 100,000 miles, tax and payment free!

Those are my demands! And I will stick by them!!

:lol2: :lol2:
Old 07-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Rookie

SNI wants either company drivers or lease drivers only. Apparently they have trucks open. I just left SNI as a company driver to become a O/O. Just thought I would see what they would do on a rehire as an O/O and was told that they are not hiring any O/O and haven't been for about 3 months now.