User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I'm just wondering here...and I may be starting a major fight...or not....but do you suppose this "trainer" is the same goofball that was training the rookie a few months ago, who managed to get himself killed up there in Olympia WA....while the trainer was in the bunk?
as far as i know, that guy is still collecting workmans comp or something.

But again, are we really going to be bashing this dead horse again as to 'where the mentor should be' during the 42 days?? Do you really think that the mentor running the truck like a team the last week (when you should already know the basics, and know enough to watch your big azz, and know when to slow down, etc.) is really going to hinder your learning process afterwards? you get 10% of your training in the mentor's truck. the rest comes on your own after you leave his/her truck, learning on your own as you go.....something called "experience".

So tell me, what is the basic difference between the 90% learning on your own, and the mentor running the truck like a team truck the last week of training? (and dont tell me 'well the trainer is getting paid to train you...blah blah blah.....i said basic difference) fact is there is none. And if a newbie driver dont know enough to slow down for a rain slick road, then thats his own fault....and its just plain stupidity.

we dont need more stupid drivers on the road.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
Well y'all,

I'm half way thru my 6 weeks of trainee hazing with Swift....my mental-mentor makes me drive while he sleeps it the bunk....listening to dvd's run on and on.issedoff:When he does drive,which is seldom,it's a three hour tour.....remember Gilligan's Island?
I've noticed on his logs that he always starts an hour or 2 (on paper) before he really climbs in the saddle...and he has the nerve to try and get me to fudge my log so I can drive more.....not gonna happen....I'm a trainee not a slave.

I've managed to log over 10k miles in 19 days, including two (2) 34's in that time period.
I've also learned to take care of everything when we stop at a TS whether I feel the need or not,had 2 cases of the runz, gotten fungus feet and major crotch rot without trying.Jeepers,think it has anything to do with the weekly shower I've been allowed to take? :thumbsdown: He may enjoy B.O. but I don't.

And then there's the food or lack of.Jenny Craig has nada on me,I dropped 10 pounds in 2weeks without trying.
I can now shove Pilot hot dogs down my throat at lightning speed,so fast that Linda Lovelace would be impressed.:lol:

I know I'm low man on the totem pole and have to pay my dues,but is this a normal routine for trainees?

Things will get better in 25 days or so.

its a little late now for a change, but this is what you SHOULD have done. After the first week when you did your week 1 review with the training department in phoenix, was have been honest with yourself. Did you feel you were getting the proper training the first week? was the mentor showing you how to use the qualcom (other than using you to read off the directions as he drove) Did you get atleast 10 backs within the first 5 days? Were you getting showers atleast once every other day?

If you felt like he wasn't teaching anything, or actually HELPING with you learning something, then it is your job to ask for a new mentor.

My first one sucked....on his truck for 14 days, only got credit for half that time, not to mention i only got 2 backs, and during the first few days, i always started driving from the side of the road or an on ramp. If you felt you wernt getting the proper training, you should have asked for a new mentor after week 1. sticking it out as long as you did....you have nothing to complain about.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah... and get rid of him if he doesn't buy you dinner... bloomin' bungehole!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Board Regular

That's not normal at all! I had my training with swift too, out here in Phoenix, and had to change two trainers since, the first one had some truck problems(he was an owner op) and had to get another one.Both of them were pretty cool,one completed the other in their training and learned from both of them quite a bit.

The last one kind of pissed me off,since i had to run always at night as he was sleeping.I did happen a few times,until one night i parked the truck at a truck stop and climbed into the bunk too.I got fed up with that,having to drive night after night and him being into his normal sleeping hours.For a guy that has been driving for 4 weeks i don't consider this very normal, but much rather a accident waiting to happen,especially when having to drive until the morning.

Make sure you voice over your opinions on what you believe is right and safe.Don't cover something stupid or illegal cause you'll be the one paying for it.Driving a 40 ton monster is no joke and can cost you dearly in all fronts.

Right now after 2 and a half years experience i see things much clearly and from another perspective ,and for sure i love coming home in one piece and enjoying life with my dearest ones around.Best of luck though!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
Well y'all,

I'm half way thru my 6 weeks of trainee hazing with Swift....my mental-mentor makes me drive while he sleeps it the bunk....listening to dvd's run on and on.issedoff:When he does drive,which is seldom,it's a three hour tour.....remember Gilligan's Island?
I've noticed on his logs that he always starts an hour or 2 (on paper) before he really climbs in the saddle...and he has the nerve to try and get me to fudge my log so I can drive more.....not gonna happen....I'm a trainee not a slave.

I've managed to log over 10k miles in 19 days, including two (2) 34's in that time period.
I've also learned to take care of everything when we stop at a TS whether I feel the need or not,had 2 cases of the runz, gotten fungus feet and major crotch rot without trying.Jeepers,think it has anything to do with the weekly shower I've been allowed to take? :thumbsdown: He may enjoy B.O. but I don't.

And then there's the food or lack of.Jenny Craig has nada on me,I dropped 10 pounds in 2weeks without trying.
I can now shove Pilot hot dogs down my throat at lightning speed,so fast that Linda Lovelace would be impressed.:lol:

I know I'm low man on the totem pole and have to pay my dues,but is this a normal routine for trainees?

Things will get better in 25 days or so.
Jay, I discussed your situation with my instructor and he said to turn this guy in now. If you don't do anything about it, he will take advantage of another student in a few weeks. You can request a new mentor at any time, and there will be no repercussions.

I do believe that you should discuss this with the mentor first, and let him know you will be requesting a new mentor if things don't get better.

I know it seems like it may be easier to just cope with the situation and get the 42 days over with, but the mentor should at least treat his student with some respect. Now I would expect to do all of the work while on a mentors truck, but I would also expect to be able to eat and shower on a regular basis. The mentor program dictates that for the first 2 weeks the mentor is to sit in the jump seat and the student does all the driving. Starting with week 3 the truck will begin to operate as a team. Even when running as a team there is still training that the mentor should be doing.

For myself, I plan to sit down with my mentor on day one and ask them how they plan to run the truck. I will try and make sure that all of these details are ironed out before we even get started.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:07 AM

I feel so thankfull i didnt have to go through that kind of situation. I luckily had a trainer that was on a dedicated route that just happened to take us back to the home area everyday so I never actually slept a full night in a truck when i was training and I also had the good fortune of having a trainer that was my age,liked the same kind of music and movies and had similar interests,and It just so happened that I had actually worked a previous job in a warehouse with him and he turned out to be a clean freak so the truck was 110% spotless inside at all times and he never smelled funny. I feel like I had the best experience in the world compared to what some of you guys had to go through.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I would say report him. B U T, are you going to be able to PROVE it?

Just because you say that he's doing it, is not going to be proof enough for Swift to take any sizeable actions against him.

At the least, contact driver services at your home terminal and tell them you want a new mentor.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

????????????????????
10,000 miles in 19 days?? what do you drive? a 747?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm pretty sure with logs like that, he'd better hope he's not pulled up for any audits any time soon.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 AM

:lol::lol:

Well things have changed....I guess saftey and driver services saw my logs,I am not driving many miles a day now,500 tops and the mentor now jumps in the saddle when I say.I'm not sure what happened,but I know he tried to blame me for some stuff that was his fault.Maybe they took a second look and saw thru his BS.
I was gonna bail on Monday but changed my mind.We had a talk about about his crap.
I said I can leave,you can kick me it doesn't matter,but if we can't get along I am going to end it now.
I talk to my classmates from the acadamy on a regular basis and they all have ******* mentors like mine.Everyone is ready to get on their own now and with only 2 1/2 weeks left to go changing now may hurt me,so I'm gonna stick it out.
I do have a surprise though for him at the end of my training.

A 747?? LOL no man,he's an owner-op or thinks so and his truck can go 72 mph.....I hit a whopping 80+ on a nice down grade....it if were'nt for the cruise control being on I would have gotten an over-speed.:rofl: It was worth the look on his face! His butt was pulling seat cushion.:hellno: