User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fcc

Does anyone know anything about Fremont Contract Carriers out of Fremont, Nebraska
Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Fremont Contract Carriers (FCC)

What's safersys.org have to say about them? BOL
Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnvrocky View Post
Does anyone know anything about Fremont Contract Carriers out of Fremont, Nebraska
A friend of mine worked at FCC for quite a while. He left them probably 3-years ago. Liked working for them. He joked that the FCC stood for Future Crete Carrier! I know that's not much help, but their website sez even less!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Rookie

I'm leased to them right now. I've worked for them on and off for the last 10 years. They used to really be great. Not so much anymore. :thumbsdown:

They built a new terminal (which is really nice) about 3 yrs ago. I think it's created a little more overhead then expected and it's really starting to weigh them down. They sent out a letter in Feb. to every contractor and employee that they were weathering the economic storm fine and wouldn't be cutting anyone's pay or laying off any people. :clap:

They cut our FSC by $.03/mi in April.. That's about a $5000/yr pay cut for me or 8-10%. Gee... Thanks.

I don't think they are hiring right now. Things are awful slow. But... you can try. I'm gone the end of this month... I might even sell you my truck if your interested:thumbsup:
Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member

It all depends who you ask. I have been with FCC for a little over a year and a half. Sure, it is not the perfect outfit, but it is pretty good... a darn site better than most. Wouldn't be here except that my last carrier who I was with for about 9 years sold out, so made a move here. I like it. I run the Midwest Regional and have done fairly well even with the economic mess going on. Like Barney said, they did cut the fuel surcharge a little (went from a 5.5 mpg calculation to 6 mpg), but I am averaging in the low 7's for mpg, so it didn't hurt too bad. They have arrainged some pretty good discounts at various fuel stops, so that helps a lot in still keeping fuel costs manageable. They even have the current days discounts available on their website so I can see who is offering the best discount in my run, and it is updated throughout the day. Miles have been pretty good overall, considering the economic condition. The customer base is not bad and most of the customers they have treat drivers real well. As for freight being slow like Barney said, yes, compared to last year, but then everyone's freight is generally slower than last year. Terry, my travel agent, does a darn good job at seeing I have something to do. I really don't sit that much. On the company side of things, the trucks are pretty good and almost all of them have APU's now. The trailers are maintained pretty well.

I have been with 5 carriers (1 large carrier, 2 with 25 trucks or less, and 2 with about 200+ trucks) in over 26 years and FCC is right up there. I have no plans on leaving. If I leave, it most likely will not be due to FCC, more likely the endless parade of crap that comes out of the government. Like Barney said, I don't think they are taking on any more drivers right now. You would have to talk with Scott in recruiting to see what that situation is. Any company is going to work for some and not for others. Depends on who and what kind of driver you are and what you are looking for in a company. At least you won't be a number here and I always am greeted by a smiling face when I go into the company head shed. I email various people in the company when I have a question, including Mike Herre the owner, and usually always get a quick response and answer to any question or concern. Safety can be a little picky at times, but they are fairly easy to talk to and deal with. I never get that feeling like I'm am going to the dentist for major teeth work when I go into safety. Overall, I like the experience here. Sure, there are a few knotheads, but you get that with any company. I haven't been lied to, and that is all I ask.

Last edited by Copperhead; 07-16-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Rookie

FCC is ok and they may be the best of the dry van companies in the Midwest, but there are better jobs out there for sure and they sure aren't the GREAT company that they once were.

BTW...Copperhead... I know you. We chatted for a long while over in Walcott last summer one time. It doesn't matter if you get 4 mpg or 8 mpg. We all got the same pay cut. The f.s.c. is not based off what you get for fuel mileage. I get 8 mpg and I'm still pissed about it. You know better then that.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't like that the FSC was changed, but with this economy and how freight rates are for the company and load availability, etc..... I am not pissed. A little frustrated that it happened, but not worrying about it. My miles are good. Oh, I'm sure that there is probably that all time great deal out there, but you will never know until you are in the saddle if the horse is a good ride. As long as I am doing ok, I'll stick with this one. An awful lot of factors have to be considered on how good a company is. Settlement rates, FSC, etc are only a part of the picture. You may get a better package on paper, but the customers are crap, the miles fluctuate all over the place with no consistency, can't get home as regular as you want, etc. I'll settle for the new FSC since I am still averaging 12K miles a month and getting home every weekend and I don't have a hassle with the customers. Terry does a real fine job of keeping me busy. I have had some real losers for travel agents in the past, so I tend to appreciate one that knows what she is doing.... something else that needs to be factored into that "great" company. We each have our own likes and dislikes. When I compare this to other places I have been, FCC is not too shabby. Not perfect, but then there is no "perfect" trucking operation.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I don't like that the FSC was changed, but with this economy and how freight rates are for the company and load availability, etc..... I am not pissed. A little frustrated that it happened, but not worrying about it. My miles are good. Oh, I'm sure that there is probably that all time great deal out there, but you will never know until you are in the saddle if the horse is a good ride. As long as I am doing ok, I'll stick with this one. An awful lot of factors have to be considered on how good a company is. Settlement rates, FSC, etc are only a part of the picture. You may get a better package on paper, but the customers are crap, the miles fluctuate all over the place with no consistency, can't get home as regular as you want, etc. I'll settle for the new FSC since I am still averaging 12K miles a month and getting home every weekend and I don't have a hassle with the customers. Terry does a real fine job of keeping me busy. I have had some real losers for travel agents in the past, so I tend to appreciate one that knows what she is doing.... something else that needs to be factored into that "great" company. We each have our own likes and dislikes. When I compare this to other places I have been, FCC is not too shabby. Not perfect, but then there is no "perfect" trucking operation.
Agreed... However... I'm not getting 12k a month anymore. I'm not on regional. I'm OTR. I've been lucky to hit 10k the last couple of months. Lots of sitting (12-16 hrs a night.) Not good.