User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

So do Mexicans, and they will take over the trade like they have the construction business if AMERICAN DRIVERS do not do something in the next few years to stop this disaster.

If you guys did not strike when fuel hit near $6.00 I guess you never will, welcome to hell, it will just keep getting hotter if you guys do not organize.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=business

Quote:

In 2008, more than 3,000 trucking companies filed for bankruptcy as the industry spending on diesel fuel rose 34 percent to $150.9 billion, according the American Trucking Associations. A one-penny price increase in diesel prices annualized over an entire year costs the industry an additional $397 million, the trade group said. So, with prices rising again, diesel costs are once again causing heartburn in some quarters.

Truckers just sit back and take it......going broke is a way of life I guess and truckers do not seem to want to be the leaders they could be.

We do have a new Pro-Union President who is not an oil criminal, so the time is right to strike, you got it wrong man !!!

Last edited by avc; 06-24-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterbaatezu View Post
Reason for termination: violation of company policy regarding: Overall unsatisfactory job performance. Got popped on I94 wb in southern WI 400 lbs over axle on the drives. Shipper scale shows me legal, Illinois scale on US 41 nb out of Chicago area gave me the green light. Load was too light (less than 42,000 lbs) to get reimbursed for a CAT scale. Due to alleged overaxle weight, I was pulled in for a level one DOT inspection (which lasted for an hour and a half) and was made forty minutes late for delivery instead of being there with bells on. I have had a grand total (in my own recollection) of 5 service failures in nearly 4 years. Of which, only 2 were entirely my own fault. The other three stemmed from circumstances beyond my control. (see above example)
So, you're saying that y'all won't get reimbursed for scale tickets on any load less than 42,000lbs with reefer trailers? And all trucks having APU's?
(I'm guessing that you've read that out of the company handbook or some official documentation of theirs)
That just seems wrong to me, on several levels. At Werner, there's no lower limit to the weight for which they'll reimburse you, that I know of. Heck, I've weighed loads that were listed as 27,000lbs before (Yeah, I know, no chance of it bein' over, but the trailer felt a little heavy when pullin' a few hills and I didn't want any unexpected surprises) and got reimbursed for it.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
So, you're saying that y'all won't get reimbursed for scale tickets on any load less than 42,000lbs with reefer trailers? And all trucks having APU's?
(I'm guessing that you've read that out of the company handbook or some official documentation of theirs)
That just seems wrong to me, on several levels. At Werner, there's no lower limit to the weight for which they'll reimburse you, that I know of. Heck, I've weighed loads that were listed as 27,000lbs before (Yeah, I know, no chance of it bein' over, but the trailer felt a little heavy when pullin' a few hills and I didn't want any unexpected surprises) and got reimbursed for it.
I drive for Marten...only 4 months now...but, have been out here 17 years and find them to be a great company. As far as scaling loads goes, it's true about the 42,000 lbs....but, Martin trailers are also equipped with axle guages that are fairly reliable and a guage inside your truck showing drive axle weight. Once you figure out how to use them they're pretty reliable tools. I will add that I've found some faulty guages on trailers...but, not too many. On loads I question...I scale it...claim it at tax time...scaled a lot at first...then got the hang of the guages and don't worry about it anymore. I've also found most folks in the "office" as with most places...are pretty good folks. I've never had to ask for my detention pay or had to "argue" for any pay due. In fact, I was 4 days late in getting home once...before I could message in to ask for the PO for $200 ($50 a day, it was sent to me). Anywho...I haven't run across a company in 17 years that has 100% satisfied employees...and I can't say every week out here I've got the miles I've wanted...but...that's nothing new.....6 week average is more than what they promised.

Bear in mind, my comments are not "against" the unhappy driver...just stating my experiences thus far. Do I have some complaints???? What driver doesn't...comes with the job...ie...that's trucking.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post
So do Mexicans, and they will take over the trade like they have the construction business if AMERICAN DRIVERS do not do something in the next few years to stop this disaster.

If you guys did not strike when fuel hit near $6.00 I guess you never will, welcome to hell, it will just keep getting hotter if you guys do not organize.

Trucking firms edgy over rising diesel prices

Quote:

In 2008, more than 3,000 trucking companies filed for bankruptcy as the industry spending on diesel fuel rose 34 percent to $150.9 billion, according the American Trucking Associations. A one-penny price increase in diesel prices annualized over an entire year costs the industry an additional $397 million, the trade group said. So, with prices rising again, diesel costs are once again causing heartburn in some quarters.

Truckers just sit back and take it......going broke is a way of life I guess and truckers do not seem to want to be the leaders they could be.

We do have a new Pro-Union President who is not an oil criminal, so the time is right to strike, you got it wrong man !!!
Uh...yeah why would I want to strike because of fuel being so high?I made a killing on fuel surcharge last year.Most of the time the fuel surcharge fully covered the cost of the fuel for the whole trip and I put a couple hundred extra off the fsc in my pocket.
I also hauled alot of chemicals for the oil industry.....when the economy tanked and they slowed production my work died so I say bring on the high oil $$$$ and fuel $$$$.
Also I would never consider working with those teamster they are the bottom of the bucket in my eye's.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post

Trucking firms edgy over rising diesel prices

Quote:

Fuel never hit $6.00 a gallon, even on the "Left"coast. Worst I saw was $5.18 in MA.

As for Unionization.....Why? Because you whine and cry?

Who are you? I doubt you are even a driver. OR....your BigDiesel in disguise...trying to stir chit.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Board Member

AVC quit spewing your TEAMSTER CRAP. The TEAMSTERS HAVE KILLED MORE TRUCKING COMPAINES than TED KENNEDY HAS HAD DRINKS IN HIS POLITICAL CAREER. In the 70's between 60-70% of the trucks in the nation were UNION Carriers. Deregulation hit and THE TEAMSTERS refused to give the carriers the flexibility to adjust to the conditons needed. Hell even Schiender was UNION THEN THEY SURE AS HELL ARE NOT NOW EXCEPT FOR less than 50 drivers that he could not get rid of and they are all about to retire.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Board Regular

As a former 30 year Teamster, (Locals 63 and 578-Southern California) and former shop steward at UPS and now "semi-retired"..I can tell you first hand that (A). The Teamsters power is rapidly dwindling in this country and has been for many years. Union leadership only care's about it's next forced dues increase and has completely lost touch with their base members, the trucking industry. (B) The few unionized companies that still exist such as YRC and ABF are basically teetering on the edge of financial doom. The Teamsters long ago abandoned the freight business and now concentrate on organizing government employee's because it's much easier..I used to be a big Teamster "flag waver", but over the years became convinced that the Teamster brotherhood is a myth. Give away contracts, minuscule pensions, and the ability to fire an employee at will are the norm in most contracts now. Teamster power is a joke..."Card check" legislation was gutted by Congress and the Mexican trucks keep rolling across the border...Some Teamster Power" huh ? Jimmy Hoffa is not his father and never will be...Just a fat former attorney who never did an honest day's work in his life. UPS is having their own issues now in this economy. Lay-offs and "furlough" days are happening at the company because the volume just isn't there anymore....That "shut-down" hoopla has been talked about for years and will never happen because you couldn't get four truck drivers to agree on the correct time of day, much less to organize..By the way...TDU is a dissident organization that has no credibility in today's labor movement...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Board Regular

i do not dislike unions...i do not like them either. i agree that i got bills to pay. so all u die hard strikers out there. good luck. i will be hauling ur frieght while you sit at home for free. what amazes me most is all the talk of truckers sitting for free...but u think sitting for free is gonna fix something? if you strike your job will go to someone that NEEDS work. whether that person is american or mexican. all the union will do is get you a 5 to 10 cent raise per mile..then you are gonna pay 4 to 9 cents in union dues. not worth it to me. has anyone ever thought to themselves..hey i aint happy doing this job, i dont get paid what i feel i am worth? if so and you agree..get the **** out. why would anyone go to work and be miserable and go out of there way to make everyone around them miserable. i love my job. i am comfortable with my pay. i love my homelife and everything i got there. u hate truckin so bad..cya!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Fuel never hit $6.00 a gallon, even on the "Left"coast. Worst I saw was $5.18 in MA.
Only $5.18 and you bend over and take it with a smile !!!

LOL :lol2: :clap:

The trucking companies are counting on people like you who fall in line, you guys deserve the worst and that is what you will get, because you are cowards who will never stand up for your own profession.

Kids out of high school will take your jobs and so will Mexicans !!!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBski View Post
I drive for Marten...only 4 months now...but, have been out here 17 years and find them to be a great company. As far as scaling loads goes, it's true about the 42,000 lbs....but, Martin trailers are also equipped with axle guages that are fairly reliable and a guage inside your truck showing drive axle weight. Once you figure out how to use them they're pretty reliable tools. I will add that I've found some faulty guages on trailers...but, not too many. On loads I question...I scale it...claim it at tax time...scaled a lot at first...then got the hang of the guages and don't worry about it anymore. I've also found most folks in the "office" as with most places...are pretty good folks. I've never had to ask for my detention pay or had to "argue" for any pay due. In fact, I was 4 days late in getting home once...before I could message in to ask for the PO for $200 ($50 a day, it was sent to me). Anywho...I haven't run across a company in 17 years that has 100% satisfied employees...and I can't say every week out here I've got the miles I've wanted...but...that's nothing new.....6 week average is more than what they promised.

Bear in mind, my comments are not "against" the unhappy driver...just stating my experiences thus far. Do I have some complaints???? What driver doesn't...comes with the job...ie...that's trucking.
Well, all I can say is you must be accepting their per diem package. I can tell you right now, you ARE going to regret it 4/15 next year. Have fun paying in instead of getting a return. I just didn't think a $650 million/ year company needs my 42 dollar a day write off, especially when I wasn't getting enough miles to make the per diem pay off. Also, when you gross 1100 on a good week and only take home $175, you can't afford to piss away 10 bucks a load on scales, ESPECIALLY when there's one on the shipper's property. As for not having to argue or fight for your fair share, don't get comfy. You make any kind of wave, or have any kind of medical condition, you will be singled out, gotten rid of and blacklisted so you won't be able to find another job. Welcome to Bendovi wisconsin.