User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Penn Tank Lines / Chester City Carriers

Well i went to penntank.com and sent them an app. About 5 days go by and i get a phone call. It is a small fleet owner that is leased on to penn tank lines (9 trucks). The name of his company is Chester city carriers. To make a long story short he knows my oldman (went to High School together). Once he found that out i couldn't get him off the phone.

Well since i never pulled gas he will train me for 2 weeks which is paid at 100/day. Then after 2 weeks i go on my own at 17/hr. After 90days i get to 18/hr. After 1 year i go to 19/hr. * no OT is paid after 40hours.* Also have to sign some BS saying if i quit before 3 months i have to pay for the training.

Now lets get to weekends. Have to work every single weekend.

Benefits. You have to pay 50% of your medical insurance. For me being single it is around 250 month. One week vac. After 1 year and 2 weeks after 5 years. Does have a 401k were they match 2% of your pay. One dollar per load bonus at the end of the year. So if you haul 700 loads you get a 700 buck bonus.

I asked him if penn tank lines hires for there own trucks. He says they do but not in my area. They are all O/O or small fleets. They guy was a super nice guy and was cool to talk to. My dad says he is not a pencil pushing type of guy. If you ride by his yard you see him in coveralls working on the trucks and what not. He also was not givin anything he worked for the 9 trucks he has. He also told me he has been leased to penn tank for almost 30 years. Says they are a great company to lease too.

I didn't take the job. Cuz I'm trying to better my self. I get 18/hr now with OT after 40 plus i don't have to pay 1 dollar for my medical insurance. So i will stay were I'm at.

Just thought i will tell you my story.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Board Member

For a young guy, with zero gas experience, his offer really isn't that bad. The insurance is pricey. The bonus is pretty decent, if they give the driver a regular "City" schedule.

Some city drivers deliver as many as 7 and 8 loads a day. If a driver worked everyday that was available, say a 5 day week, the bonus could be substantial. With a 5 load per day average it would be about $1,250. Not good...but still not bad, for a driver that wanted to get two years of gas experience, so he or she could move on to the better paying companies.

I'm willing to bet that he see's a lot of those driver's seeking the experience.