User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Age Requirement For Fuel Haulers

Do all fuel haulers require you to be 23 years age or older?? Every fuel hauler i've looked up has 23 years or older...
Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM

A lot of "non-training" companies require you to be 23 before they can hire you. Notice I said CAN, its because of their insurance. Really, the insurance companies are in charge of hiring. If they say "no," it doesn't matter what the companies head of HR or whoever said, they are not going to hire you. I assume hauling fuel the insurance prices are pretty costly anyway (even greater than general freight insurance would be) so they try to make some of these costs slightly lower by not hiring drivers who are 23 or who have questionable safety records.

If I were you I'd just wait if hauling fuel is really what you want. Make sure you keep your record clean, too. When I got hired to haul dedicated, the company (Henderson) had a 23 age requirement. I was about 4 months shy of being 23, but I had a great safety record, and had been driving since I was exactly 21, so the insurance decided they'd let me drive. Now, I wasn't hauling gas or anything hazardous, but it does help to have a good record.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Do all fuel haulers require you to be 23 years age or older?? Every fuel hauler i've looked up has 23 years or older...
23 is the generally accepted "lower" limit for hauling fuel or most haz-mat. Like PA said, that goes towards the insurance stance. Those majors whom are still hiring drivers for their company owned trucks, generally hold to 26 to 28. This goes more towards the "maturity" issues, than insurance.

These companies want someone in their truck, or delivering their product, whom is not going to fly off the handle at every little thing that can go wrong during the course of a day. When your delivering to C-stores and in large market areas, plenty goes on during a delivery. Most companies feel that a person has reached that "maturity" level by 26.....but people are fickle.....they can fool you.

You can not let the "little things" under your skin while you are doing your job.

When things go wrong, you need to take charge and do your job quickly. It does not take long for 100 gallons of gas to be on the ground.....and 100 gallons of gas on the ground looks like a 1000 gallons. 1000 gallons looks like a million.

Just a cup full can give you that "awe chit" feeling when your busy and smokers are hanging around...and believe me they do!

Hehehe....ask Belpre how many times in 2 years of fuel hauling he has had the "awe chit" feeling!!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Hehehe....ask Belpre how many times in 2 years of fuel hauling he has had the "awe chit" feeling!!
I was hoping that you could get some guidance about the age requirement from some other folks Hawk. I just haven't been able to get a good answer around here as most of the drivers are a bit older.

OK Stan. first of all that is now over 3 years of fuel hauling!:thumbsup:

The "awe chit" feeling seems to run in spurts. A little bit of gas here and there. Not a real big deal most of the time. LOL

It's the "awe fack!" situations that will make you pucker! Stan, maybe you should tell young Hawk about rain sometimes being your friend. Well then again maybe not.:smokin: Nothing like watching #2 dyed diesel shooting up through a tank vent tube 'a la Jed Clampett' and you can't figure out why, and are helpless to stop it. Not that it has ever happened to me.

Or the story of the genius that had a bad Scully overfill system on his trailer, took the Scully cord over to the next lane and hooked it up to that trailer and proceeded to blow diesel fuel out his top hatch while under the rack!:lol: That was definitely an "awe fack." Fortunately I was just a bystander for that genius move. LOL

Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
I was hoping that you could get some guidance about the age requirement from some other folks Hawk. I just haven't been able to get a good answer around here as most of the drivers are a bit older.

The "awe chit" feeling seems to run in spurts. A little bit of gas here and there. Not a real big deal most of the time. LOL

It's the "awe fack!" situations that will make you pucker! Stan, maybe you should tell young Hawk about rain sometimes being your friend. Well then again maybe not.:smokin: Nothing like watching #2 dyed diesel shooting up through a tank vent tube 'a la Jed Clampett' and you can't figure out why, and are helpless to stop it. Not that it has ever happened to me.

Or the story of the genius that had a bad Scully overfill system on his trailer, took the Scully cord over to the next lane and hooked it up to that trailer and proceeded to blow diesel fuel out his top hatch while under the rack!:lol: That was definitely an "awe fack." Fortunately I was just a bystander for that genius move. LOL
Sweeeeet memories. :thumbsup::clap::thumbsup:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post

I remember a delivery, back before vapor recovery was anything more than a "Kalifornia Dream", and looking up from a hose change, just in time to see gas spraying out of a vent tube, catch fire from the BBQ grill on the second floor balcony of the apartment building directly behind the station. Friggin wind anyway!!! Fire department joked for a couple hours about "Flam-b-aid". That was right around the time of a lot of the "farm aid" and "We are the world" stuff!

Good ole Scully system!! Now...where did I put that paper clip??

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

When by-passing the safety system, it is usually a good idea to be paying attention! "Gushers" on lane 3 are not popular, when the bosses watch the morning video sweep!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Board Regular

Yeah driving around with 20-30k of gasoline behind you is like having a bomb strapped to your back and being insured too.

The insurance requirement is the prime factor in this, since the risk is quite big
Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Wink

[QUOTE=

When by-passing the safety system, it is usually a good idea to be paying attention! "Gushers" on lane 3 are not popular, when the bosses watch the morning video sweep!

Morning Video sweep???? you mean someone is watching me pick my nose and scratch my azz while I am at the loading rack? I always wonder if some of the guys realize they are on camera from the minute they enter the facility. I watched one guy walk off the rack and go over to one of the tanks to take a piss instead of waiting to use the proper bathroom in the BOL shack. that stunt got him locked out for two weeks they had video of his every move with time stamps...

Timberwolf
Old 06-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Rookie

I'm thinking about getting into the gas/tanker yanker end of things..almost 15yrs exp with a van..Good driving record..Looking into Kenan Advantage Group..But with this economy and fuel prices headed
back up,may hafta hang with the van a while longer..