User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face SOS Transportation/Concert tour trucking

I have been looking at this company, SOS Transportation(their a concert tour, theater, events trucking company, because they are near my hometown(or where I pickup my mail :-( ). Since I don't keep a home, don't mind been out for long periods of time, willing to travel everywhere(eg. Northeast, Canada) I thought it be something interesting to peruse.

Currently, I driving flatbed but thing are slow with no pre-assignments, longer wait to reload, and sitting in the company yard for several days(no layover paid when that happens). It is a good company but I am getting restless.

My question is I looking for anyone who has done this concert tour/events work as a driver. Specifically, what type of pay structure do these companies have? Do they pay mileage, hourly rates for loading/unloading, a flat daily rate on the road, or what? I think I can figure out a lot of the other issues, but I don't want to go blind into applying for this job when it comes to pay.

Any experienced insight on this type of gig would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Your best source of info on how that company pays is that company.

I did some event hauling once for a couple of months and I was paid mileage in between venues and a flat rate to help unload/load if needed and another rate per day for each day I sat until it was time to reload and move on. I was also put up in a motel at each stop if it was going to be more than a 24 hour deal.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Rookie

If you end up working there, please start a blog.

That's something i've always wanted to do.
It's a combination of my two favorite things, driving and show business.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Board Regular

Got a buddy doing that now for Stagecall out of Vegas.....his G/F says he is enjoying it and making decent money. Uturn is right about the pay setup, from what I understand, but contact the company that you want to work for and get specifics.

My buddy is currently on the Brittney Spears tour.....poor guy:cry::cry::cry:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Board Regular

Thanks. I will contact them. I just want a feel so I don't come across clueless.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Rookie

I have been pre-hired for Upstaging out of Sycamore, Il. The pay with them is you are on a salary of $675 per week; $350 per diem paid on ComCard every Monday and the balance paid every 2 weeks. All that is taxed is $325 per week. This is just to sit in the truck and be ready for work. So between tours this is the least you will make.

When on a tour, you get "bumps". You get a mileage bump if you drive over 400 miles to the next venue of $200 I think and it goes up the more you drive. You also get a motel bump of around $35 if the road crew is utilizing a motel as well. Most drivers of course pocket the bump and sleep in their trucks. There are also end of tour bonuses, but not always. The bumps and bonuses are paid in cash weekly..not taxed, although it is possible to get 1099'd for a tour bonus...but rare.

Another plus is catering...all you can eat while on tour for free. This info is just for Upstaging and I may have omitted some info. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Man I am jealous, sounds like an awesome job!

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerTony View Post
I have been pre-hired for Upstaging out of Sycamore, Il. The pay with them is you are on a salary of $675 per week; $350 per diem paid on ComCard every Monday and the balance paid every 2 weeks. All that is taxed is $325 per week. This is just to sit in the truck and be ready for work. So between tours this is the least you will make.

When on a tour, you get "bumps". You get a mileage bump if you drive over 400 miles to the next venue of $200 I think and it goes up the more you drive. You also get a motel bump of around $35 if the road crew is utilizing a motel as well. Most drivers of course pocket the bump and sleep in their trucks. There are also end of tour bonuses, but not always. The bumps and bonuses are paid in cash weekly..not taxed, although it is possible to get 1099'd for a tour bonus...but rare.

Another plus is catering...all you can eat while on tour for free. This info is just for Upstaging and I may have omitted some info. Hope this helps.
and the home time? Those guys are some road warriors.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerTony View Post

That's pretty close to what I got. The bumps were paid in cash by the production manager. Your company has nothing to do with them. Every driver had a stage pass and could watch the show if they wanted. It get's boring after the first couple of times, so we would hang out at the motel or the trucks for the most part. Some of those venues are hard to get in to, but you have plenty help, usually 2 or 3 drivers blocking traffic and spotting for you.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Smalltown Rube View Post
That's pretty close to what I got. The bumps were paid in cash by the production manager. Your company has nothing to do with them. Every driver had a stage pass and could watch the show if they wanted. It get's boring after the first couple of times, so we would hang out at the motel or the trucks for the most part. Some of those venues are hard to get in to, but you have plenty help, usually 2 or 3 drivers blocking traffic and spotting for you.
How many miles would you average in a month? How many days a week were you driving? What amount of labor would you be doing at load ins and outs?

With the per diem, salary, and bumps would it be likely to make $1000 a week. Thou pay may not be an issue, I wouldn't want to come in too high or low on my expected earnings.

As far as being out, I only have a mailbox and family spread around the country. I would expect some downtime only when I came off tour.

Thanks