User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt Termination

Well, I stuck it out for 4 months and finally came to the end. They put me on a closed loop run where I was supposed to service one customer and go out 5 days and be home Sat and Sun. Turns out I worked every other weekend and was not doing the customer and then last week on Tues I asked to be home Sat morning for something I had going on. It was the first time in 4 months that I asked to be home on a specific day and It was a day i should have been home anyways so no problem right? Friday comes and I was planned on a couple of loads to work the weekend. Nope! Sent a message and they acted surprised. "Oh, you want this weekend off?" I said I told you that tuesday and they yanked the loads off of me and put on one that delivered 175 miles away on Sat at 1100. I got home at 1500 and missed my event. My boss then sent me a message telling me that I would be home every week and a half as freight allows. It went from every weekend off to 3 out of 4 to every other to a day off every 12 or so.

So I hunted around and found a new job and Tuesday gave them a weeks notice. I had messaged them monday and tuesday and didnt get an answer from my boss. guess he was mad that i didnt work the week end. Tuesday I sent my notice and within 30 secs got a message back wanting me to call. Funny how that works. Screw me around for weeks on end and when I quit now they want to talk about it. I didnt have much to say to them and just told them that That was my last day and I didnt care to discuss it. I wasnt happy with what I was doing and wished to end my employment on the following Monday and lets leave it at that.

They waited a few hours and my bosses boss sent me a message telling me that he wanted to have a conference call with me and my boss the next morning. Whatever. They then sent me a prepln for me to deliver in Mebane, NC Wed 0700 then deadhead to Charlotte and wait till 1800 for a load delivering thur afternoon in Hazelton, PA. This is far outside of what I'm supposed to be doing which was Eastern NC and Virginia. Silly me figured that they wanted the truck at a different terminal and they would put me there Fri and tell me to find a way home. Gee, that never happens does it?

I had no intention of sitting around a whole day to end up in PA on a holiday weekend and refused the load. They pulled it and Wed morn I delivered and sat an hour and my boss wanted me to call him. I knew I wouldnt move until I did so I called. I was non-commental to him and just said I didnt really care to discuss it and Monday was my last day. He said he didnt understand why I wanted to quit and what was my problem? This after trying to talk to him for several weeks about this run I was on. I just didnt care to talk to him and he told me to hold on for a minute. Sure enough I got his boss on the line. This clown was the guy that got me on the run in the first place telling me that I would be home weekends, get .44 per mile and 1800 miles a week. Non of which happened except the .44/mile. I had sat the weekend before in Charlotte having been sent down there to deliver on Sat at 1105 and waited till Sun at 1300 to pick up a load and leave. I complained and the weekend dispatch called him at home and he said that no, I wasnt supposed to be off on weekends and I could sit. UH-HUH.

Well, I wasnt interested in re-hashing this crap that I had spent weeks trying to straighten out and just told him I was done with this company, wasnt happy and was leaving. No problem. Oh yeah? He got really angry that I wouldnt talk or argue to him and demanded an answer to his questions. I told him that an employee dosnt need to give his employer a reason to terminate his employment. I was and was giving him notice. He then flew off the handle telling me how much money I could make on this run. He then told me that he had 5 guys that he could put in my truck that would love my job and would retire at it. I told him good, then he wouldnt have any problem with filling my seat and wouldnt inconvience the customers at all. I would bring this truck to any location the company wanted, within reason, and would vacate it. He got really upset that I wouldnt argue and told me that he was blackballing me from the company and I was to bring the truck to the Charlotte yard by noon or he would have people out looking for me and hung up on me.

No kidding. Like I was going to bring the truck anywhere else. I started driving towards the yard and got angrier thinking about that and stopped and sent a message detailing the conversation and telling my boss how I didnt care to have my integrity questioned in implying that I would abandon the truck when I would never do that and really didnt care to have my future livelyhood threatened by a blackballing by someone throwing a tantrum. I had never refused a load before and in four months asked for 1 day off. I also had a 100% on-time delivery and pick-up rate with them. I wanted his superiors ext. number so we could have a conference call and I could file a complaint about this childish behaviour. A few minutes later the supervisor that threatened me sent a message apologizing for what he said and asked me to please bring the truck to the yard. I said that I was on the way and it would be delivered there and I would check out of it and it would be cleaner than when I got into it. The apology was accepted and the conversation was forgotten. No problems.

So that is what I did. Instead of getting out of the truck on Monday I got out of it today, Wed. Kinda sucks but not much more than I expected. I saw this coming and last night, I had my girlfriend meet me at the truckstop and take all of the extra stuff out of my truck.

I start my new job on the 19th. That is a different thread.

Last edited by jonp; 04-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Funny how when you mention the words "I quit" that is when they want to talk to you and "work things out". I bet things might have gotten better for a short time and you would have been right back in the same situation.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

You betcha. I've played that game before and wasnt going to get sucked into it again.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Good to see that you remained a pro to the end Jon.

I hope that things pick up quickly and you can put this nightmare quickly behind you.

Sad part is.........not too long will pass and this story will repeat itself once again on this board. I have seen it so many times on here.

Commonly folks believe;
a) "it just can't really be that bad
b) "it won't happen to me"

Unfortunately, time after time it is that bad, and it does happen to you. Coolie carriers like JB Hunt are like bad pennies...............they somehow just keep showing up. Hell, at least they're consistent about being bad.

BOL moving forward Jon.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Good luck with the new job.

BTW, I got a domain I can sell.....

Just check my signature.

later

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Board Member

LOL. JB is no worse than other companies I guess. The job paid ok but just wasnt what I was looking for and not what I was told it would be. If a driver dosnt mind being out during the week and home for 34hrs every other week or so then he could make some money at it. I was on pace to end up in the upper $40's. I just wanted to be home more.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
LOL. JB is no worse than other companies I guess. The job paid ok but just wasnt what I was looking for and not what I was told it would be. If a driver dosnt mind being out during the week and home for 34hrs every other week or so then he could make some money at it. I was on pace to end up in the upper $40's. I just wanted to be home more.
Well, you did far better than I did. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I have to believe that there are some drivers who do really good there, as well as with most companies. Even CR England.

Just my thoughts.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Board Member

If you know of an England driver doing well please let me know. I havn't met one of those rare beasties yet.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Board Regular

Hope things work out for ya man! And i hope those bastards will know how to treat their drivers better.BOL
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member