User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Transport America How U Doin!!!

This will be my lil mini blog of how I as a company driver is doing. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have and I will do my best to answer or find someone who has the answer. Will keep this updated on where im at and where im going.

If you want to know about Det time or extra stop pay extra let me know and I will add it.

If a trip has more then two loc listed then they are extra stops.

Trips week of 01/18 - 01/24 MT LD

Holland, MI - Louisville, KY 89 341

Louisville, KY - Seymour, IN - Warren, OH 0 402

North Jackson, OH - Brownstown Twp, MI 10 200

Fostoria, OH - Mt Pleasent, IA 79 470

Eldridge, IA - Olean, NY - Syracuse, NY 97 858

( will see if I get another trip in before end of pay wk)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals MT 275 LD 2271

Last edited by wepwawet; 01-23-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Rookie

Went to a driving school in Indy after retiring from Army in '98. TA rctd me out of it. they deducted the 3 wk driving school cost from my pay over 12 mos, but refunded it all when I stayed on with them after 12 mos.

After the 3 wk private school, went to their place in Clarksville, IN for 4 wks. 2 classroom, 2 driving pad & local roads. Food, local motel & trans provided. it was a great learning experience with good instructors.

Went to Atlanta terminal. 2 wks local driver training their, 2 wks otr w/trainer. left on my own after that. TA did a great job of training drivers. hope they still do & hope other companies would do as well.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Rookie

wepwawet
i worked TA back in '03,(are you out of north Jackson).it was way better than flatbed.85%D/H, did alot of time in the northeast area mass, Maine, Vermont, upstate New York,New Hampshire wasn't to bad.picking up paper rolls loads out of jay,Maine going to Chicago.that was sweet run.now I'm working for FedEx freight here in Ohio. i haven't worked 40 hrs since Halloween,been thinking going back OTR with TA
Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 PM

GI Joe: They do it a little differ now. after going to school a they bring you to scottsberg, IN for 6 days paper work/ road rides/ and a course for backing. If you make it out of the 6 day then you go with a trainer for 21 days logged of driving more then 6 hrs per day. Then you off to solo land.

Word has come out that we will be cutting 50 trucks this month and rumor that another 150 trucks in Feb thats about 10% of the fleet. We are not in trouble right now just taking the proactive steps to keep everything on a even keel.

As for would I rec someone to apply here? Yes and NO, IF you have places/things your not willing to do/go then I would suggest to keep looking in the frieght enviroment that we are in you have to willing to do as needed in order to make sure the company stays in the black. Meaning if NYC is were the load is then you need to be willing to go in and get it without a 5hr crying fit.

I had another good week even tho I got laid over in Syracuse, NY for 3 days Fri morning to Monday morning.. so from there

Shortsville, Ny to Coloma, MI 61 555

Kalamazoo, MI to Covington, GA 42 736

This run here was a little borked due to having to recover a trk/trlr due to the driver failing to pay his overweight tic in NC so I will give the whole run down of the trip

P/U empty at Covington to Atlanta, GA to our yard and dropped
Bobtail to Cordele, GA (Pilot) P/U his empty and dropped another driver off to take trk back to the Atlanta yard
So Cordele, GA to Savannah, GA to P/U load

Savannah, GA to Carlisle, PA 351 681
----------------------------------------------------
TOTAL 454 MT 1972 LD

I have another trip im doing now that will bump me over 3k for the wk but this one is turning into a nightmare and dont know if I will complete it in time for the pay wk. Had to have a service trk come out and unfreeze(with a torch) the breaks due to ppl not drying the breaks before dropping and now a drive blew 20 mi after that so here I sit again waiting on a repair trk to come and give me a new drive.

I cannot complain about how im being treated at TA as I have said before the only thing that will pull me away is a tanker job dont know why just really want to pull a tank I wish I know someone that owned a tank that I could "play" with in a lot somewhere. At this junction Im just glad to have a job as I read/Hear about all the lay offs etc happening everywhere. While I have nothing on my Dac everyone is replaceable these days

Hope this is giving all that want it a ensight into TA If you have any questions just ask I will get back to you. even if its a wk later
Old 03-28-2009, 11:51 PM

252 1,995

65 1,788 hometime 3 days

277 2,269

309 1,961

240 3,045

305 hometime 5 days

165 2,763

Sorry for the huge gap will try harder to keep up with this. Im done with my Eye shots that I got 1 a month for a year so home time will be less. As you can clearly see TA is not in fact in a no miles state of affairs. While I do not understand the hiring of new drivers when on avg out fleet does 3xx per trk a day but im sure theres a reason just I dont know it.

NO TA is not all lollypops and candy canes, If your a worker and not screaming and yelling at your FM cause you dont want to goto NYC etc they will take care of you. Im no one special at TA and as you can see im getting miles. are some weeks down? Yep but it all avg out in the end.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

What rate are they paying you CPM?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 AM

I make .37 and a extra .04 when hauling haz.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the update! I am supposed to start orientation on the 6th.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:39 AM

I am supposed to drive to Janesville. Susan said she will call me back this week. I guess someone is going to give me a ride to IN for orientation. What is the orientation like? What kind of truck are you driving? (Year, model, mileage, features, etc.) Do they have a bunch of available trucks? Or will I have to sit around and wait for a truck? Thanks much!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Orientation is paper work like any other and a check ride. Pretty laid back should go quick

Freightshakers is what we drive as for mine. 08 with 262k on it had it a yr now but run team well when both of us manage to stay in the trk. (long story)

You can plan on a high mileage trk to start but we are switching over to a cascada fleet so shouldnt be too long you will have to deal with it.

Features LOL ummm the engine runs? Basic company trk

We have lots of trks sitting seeing how we "trimmed" the fleet keep profits up but umm we keep hiring so getting a trk shouldnt be hard prob have one in Janesville for you.