User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question for fuel tanker drivers

I am currently driving a dry van but am considering a jump to tankers. I just want to know what the pay is like, I heard some are paid by the load others are hourly. Right now I am averaging about 500-600 take home weekly, and I would like to know is it worth loking into. I am enticed by the fact that you are home every night,so the only other factor for me is the pay. I have both tanker and hazmat endorsements. And yes I am awarre of the added dangers of transporting fuel. I consider myself a safe driver and dont see mysself in any more danger than what I do now. Any repsonses would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Where are you located? Have you asked around the area yet?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Rookie

I have been driving a fuel truck since 1995 and some answers to your questions are that you can bring home anywhere from 500 a week to 1200 a week. It all depends on how hard you want to run and how many days a week you run. I drive for United Petroleum Transports out of OK City but i live in the Dallas area. The main reason i started hauling fuel was to be at home at night with my family. Most fuel companies slip seat each truck and run 12 hour shifts. Keep in mind that it is more work than most people think. You load and unload your own truck (which is fairly easy,with the exception of wrestling hoses). My advice would be to find a company that is willing to hire and train you and stick with them for at least a year. By this time you will know what other companies are in the fuel business and what each of them has to offer. You can then decide if the compny you are with is right for you or not. Remember that fuel hauling is not for everybody.There seems to be a gap between newbies and guys that have been at it for 15 or 20 years. I hope some of this info will help you. Good Luck
Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Rookie

Just a thought; have you considered dry bulk tankers? I do dry bulk cement and love it. It's like the best of both worlds (local/OTR). Very seldom wait anywhere for anything. No humping freight; just pump it off (takes about an hour to unload more or less depending on product). Takes about 15 minutes to load. Other than that (and pre/post trip), nearly all of your time is logged on Line 3. When I run a 14 hour day, I'm watching my Line 3 hours a lot closer than Line 4. In the end, I average 2300-2500 miles per week running two states in a daycab and home every night. It's not uncommon to have an assigned truck AND trailer (we even get to take ours home). Options are out there for local, regional, and OTR. Pay may be flat per load based on distance, mileage based, or percentage of gross. And I haven't seen too many dry bulk venues that require the hassles of hazmat (doesn't even require a tank endorsement).

I originally thought this would be a great stepping stone to lead into a future running liquid tankers, which I wanted but wasn't possible with limited experience. Now, I think I'm perfectly happy where I am

Makin' magic in a One-Stack-Mack-With-A-Window-In -Back:thumbsup:
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Hey Ron63,
Just my two cents, I frickin love hauling fuel it is an awesome job that carries with it a huge amount of mental stability, you have to pay attention at all times, get side tracked just once and it could mean anything from a small spill to dropping unleaded in a diesel tank. If you pay attention and follow the same procedure all the time (like brushing your teeth) you will be ok. Texas gas hauler is right the spilt between new guys and vets is rather large most guys in our shop have 12 + years with the company and only a few with 4 years the rest of us are under two years.
Here in Orlando our rack is awesome for the most part waiting to load is about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes sometimes it can be longer depending on levels but usually in and out with in 30-45 minutes. At the store again depending on how many tanks it can be anywhere from 15 minutes dropping diesel at Loves, or 40 minutes dropping regular 87 at a Murphy station, 20 minutes at a AM/PM. The head aches are dealing with idiots who try to run around your cones, people who park over the drops, and idiots on the road who fail to realize you have 8700 to 9000 gallons of highly flamable liquid on board, Lets not forget the guy who walks past you while you are dropping fuel and he is smoking, (opps didnt see your 45' tractor trailer) all of these issues are easily dealt with by realizing they are out of your control and you just do your best to correct them. Be patient and go slow, learn the proper ways to shorten your day and you will still make money, as said before any where from 500 to 1200 take home is right.
New guys coming in will most likely work the night shift with week days off. I started 3PM to 3AM with Tues & Weds off. Now I am at 12 noon to 12 midnight and Sun & Mon day in only 8 months of doing the job.
Work hard pay attention and you should be fine..

Timberwolf
Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Rookie

Hey just wanted to say thanks to allof you for your input. I know this is the right move for me,and that is why when I changed my license over from ccalifornia to michigan I kept my hazmat endorsement . Now I have to find out what is availvable in my area....... kalamazoo,battle creek area even grand rapids area, I am willing to travel..... so if anyone out there has any leads it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all the info guys
Ron
Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron63 View Post
Hey just wanted to say thanks to allof you for your input. I know this is the right move for me,and that is why when I changed my license over from ccalifornia to michigan I kept my hazmat endorsement . Now I have to find out what is availvable in my area....... kalamazoo,battle creek area even grand rapids area, I am willing to travel..... so if anyone out there has any leads it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all the info guys
Ron
check out Brenner Oil out of Grand Rapids.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Hey Timberwolf. I sent you a PM. I'm over in Tampa and was wondering if your company was hiring. Thanks in advance for your time.

L
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Rookie

I'm looking to get into fuel hauling too..With the economy and fuel prices headed back up,do you
guys remain busy? Right now i'm a 48 state freight hauler,with 15 yrs exp..

Last edited by Daddy's Rig; 06-14-2009 at 10:13 PM.