User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
Madaxeman lookup some girl (or guy, we dont really know) named novacane. He/she It worked for Reohl and had a long blog. Hahaha!

Its like a soap opera about trucking, life, and love! You'll need a few weeks to get through it.
http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...83-my-day.html
Thanks, snowman...I will do that!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebo072 View Post
been with em for about 7 months now on flat bed side.

tarp pay went up to $22 lumber/$12 steel

decent co. like any other. drive and don't complain and they leave you alone.

alot of mid-west driving.

so far averaging around 18-1900 a week

i can't stand pulling anything with doors on the back, but it helps in the winter when fb frieght goes down.

*rumor* they are requiring hazmat,passport, and fast card by june. driver expense. *rumor*
Thanks for the info, kebo! What kind of position do you have? Are you National, Regional, 7/4 7/3, etc? What is a fast card? I definitely will have to get my hazmat, background check and passport! The only reason I don't have them is...I have never needed/used any of them in the past.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
Just wondering, what is a "fast card". Whatever it is don't give one to a JB Hunt driver.
LOL...I was wondering the same thing...or to Swifts going through the mountains in PA. I saw one on I-80 eastbound. The driver must've been going 80+ downhill. They crossed the giant grass median into oncoming. A bucket truck (big dump truck) sliced the truck in half and the cargo was everywhere! Westbound was shut down for many hours.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31 View Post
A FAST CARD is a permit similar to a passport that allows you to enter/exit from Canada.
Thanks for the info, Larry! Any idea how do you get one...and what the cost is?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighunter View Post
been with them for 3yrs and pull flatbed and im a trainer. when freight gets slow on the flat side we can pull vans, if the van side gets slow there waiting for a load because they cant pull flat no load securement class. we do have hazmat card we carry i think less than 5% we dont placard so its not that much. you watch a video on hazmat. they do ask you to get a passport for canada (you pay for it no reimbursement) the fast card the company would get and charge you for it. the ez-pass cost a $1 a week out of your pay cheak. dont know how much fast card would cost if we get it. havent heard of that one. 11 months out of work they might have you go through evo1 ( 10-13 days out ) and evo2 (10-13 days out) or have you go out for 7-10 days with a trainer. that call is the companys.
Thanks for the info, bighunter! I'm looking to drive national dry van (maybe regional). That is 'odd' that they expect you to pay for hazmat, background check, passport, ezpass and fast card...and not reimburse you for anything! I guess times have changed! I figured that most companies would want me to go out with a trainer. I do have 18 months OTR experience and never had an accident, ticket, etc. At the first (last) job out of school, I went with a trainer and he was sleeping in back by the end of the first week. He was like "I think you are ready". LOL We made it back to the terminal on day 10. I took the test and got a truck.

You don't placard with hazmat loads?
Are the trucks all manual 10 speeds, all auto-shift 10s, or both?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:21 AM

One thing I forgot to ask is...are there any Roehl terminals/dropyards in the Chicagoland area? I need to be able to park my truck when I go home. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Rookie

To answer your last ?. Yes, Roehl has a terminal in Gary, on W. 15th Ave, just about 3 blocks off of Cline Ave (NB).

I started with Roehl through RDTC back in 06 and left them last year for a local position in the Twin Cities.
I can say that during my time there I had no problems with Roehl and enjoyed my time there. I drove van national and spent some time out west / northwest, but for the most part it was everywhere east of the Mississippi, and trips to our neighbors to the north.

I had my passport well before working for Roehl so Canada was never an issue, but yes the cost is on you the driver. And as Bighunter said, Prepass/EZ pass was $1 a week. I to had a hazmat card, but never in my time there did I pull a hazmat load.

When I was there, Canada wasn't a requirement for being hired. Those who could drive Canada earned a higher percentage on quarterly incentive bonuses, those who couldn't would earn less. Don't know if they've made it a hiring requirement now though.

Like drivers everywhere, there are slow freight times and there are good freight times, just have to take it in stride.

Trucks are 10 speeds, Freightliners and Intl's.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaxeman View Post
Thanks for the info, kebo! What kind of position do you have? Are you National, Regional, 7/4 7/3, etc? What is a fast card? I definitely will have to get my hazmat, background check and passport! The only reason I don't have them is...I have never needed/used any of them in the past.
I am on national fleet. and you are in a good location for roehl.
I would say a regional or hometime fleet would be easy to get in the chicago area.

tarping isn't that bad. once you do a couple you learn how to work with the wind.

FAST has been explained in a previous post. hazmat is always good to have as is all other endorsements, they open doors for you.

I am usually out 13-15 days and get 2-3 days off (estimated).

right now i am off for a couple of weeks for gall bladder surgery, and i am ready to hit it again. I never thought i would get sucked in to the "road life" but it sneeks up on you. LOL

I keep a excel spread sheet of all my loads, miles, pay, and days out. I started in august '08 and have averaged $520 a week net and 7 days off a month. and i live in a bad freight area for f-bed. so you would probably do pretty good considering your area. I've driven 294 till i am sick of it.LOL

they are really safety conscious. and very micromanaged. the micromanage thing has always bothered me in any job, but being in a truck, away from corporate helps. they will only bi*&% when you do something wrong. and believe me, i have had those calls.LOL

if you decide to go with them just remember. ALWAYS keep your log current to the last duty change and if you have a problem treat dispatch with respect and be a grown up about the situation.

They are putting APU's and inverters on all the trucks with less than 300,000 miles. so thats a plus also.

good luck
Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Rookie

having the hazmat endorsement is not required for roehl. the passport is for canada makes it easier to get in and out out. canadas not required to be hired for roehl but it helps if your able to travel through or deliver into. theres a terminal in gary, in off I-94/80 freightliners 10 speeds there weeding out the intl's some autos. the fast card is for boarder crossing (canada) if you've ever been to the boarder and sit in the long line to cross 1hr,2hrs, or more, fast card lets you pass all that a go to the front. i looked into myself i think it was around $300 a year (dont quote me). good luck
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member

If you are a company driver why do you have to pay for the Ezpass. Sounds like some BS to me.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug