User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Young Up and coming Driver

hello all, thanks for having me. I am a 21 year old guy, been wanting to drive truck for years, since i could remember. I have a perfect driving record, and i pride myself on it. thats my biggest thing i have going for me, i kept it clan for a reason. To Drive Truck. Okay so im excited, I have driven big trucks on random occasions, so i know training won't be that tough, and i understand maneuvers and all that jazz. I want to learn a ton more though. I know i need to to be an excellent driver. I have an App in currently with CR England. Now I hear negativity all over about them. But i dont care, I want to drive. All i have is my mom and a girlfriend. i dont have any kids to take care of. I understand i have to be out several weeks, and thats okay. I just want experience. My ain concern is my ork history. Ive only held 3 jobs. 4 months, 5 months and 8 months. Will this hurt my chances in getting hired? Im just worried. but again, i have no criminal record, perfectly clean MVR, and a positive attitude. And can someone tell me about England please?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Board Member

your work history or should I say lack of is going to be a big problem. Some Co. (CRE ?) may say no problem then after you complete the valueble training they cut you loose and you oue them $4 grand! Iv'e never worked for CRE but have worked for other comp. that have a better rep. and some of them sucked. If you ask me I'd stay away from CRE but you should do a search on here and make up your own mind. One thing you should do is pay for your own schooling to avoid haveing to sign an employment contract and be stuck at a bottom feeder.
Also now really isn't a good time to try to get into trucking, there's lots of drivers out of work right now
BOL
Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Rookie
Default Work History.

Normally, when you already have a CDL an employer will be required to have a 10 year work history.

If you do not have a CDL and will be going to school with England ,they will only go back 3 or 5 years, I can't remember which..

I don't think you'll have a problem Your pretty young,they don't care what you were doing at age 11.Call your recruiter at England and review it with them before you get on a bus though.If it ain't right, they will send you home.

I guess you already know about England being a dirtbag company.They are no worse than any other training company.Tough it out a year,and bail to a better company.

Good luck.

Last edited by Wolfhound; 03-05-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Board Regular

Why on earth are you trying to get on with C.R. England? I guess if you start at the very,very,very bottom you can only go up from there.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
Tough it out a year,and bail to a better company.
I wouldnt recommend even saying that. At this point you cannot expect to work a year and just bail. The way trucking is right now, if you have a job stay. I would say that if you get hooked on to CRE youll be spending more then a year there. If I knew then what I knew now I would of chose a different career.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Rookie

^^

I guess.But that don't mean he can't start talking with other carriers..

You never know, maybe things will have picked up by then.

I don't know why young people would get involved with trucking.As a job,especially just starting out,it kinda sucks.But you know how people are when they have their minds set on something.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member

You are going to have to be able to verify all time in your work history for the last 3 years.

The periods you worked should not be a problem, assuming you weren't working under the table, but the times you were not working can be.

You can use unemployment records, school transcripts (BTW attending school usually counts as employment where trucking companies are concerned) or as a last resort 2 or 3 notorized letters from non family members who are willing to verify that you were unemployed during those periods.

As far as how much of a problem the gaps in your employment history is going to be it is hard to say at this time. Before the economy took a dump a person's job history before they got a CDL did not play much of a factor, but with so many out of work and trying to jump in a truck companies can be a lot more picky than they used to be.