User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombestonebilly View Post
The argument is not dry-van vs tanker it's dry-van vs HAZMAT tanker.

You have your opinion and I respect that. But call up an insurer like say Progressive and tell em' you want an insurance quote (comprehensive/liability) for hauling general commodities. Now tell them you want to also haul hazmat ans see what happens to the rates they quote you.

You will see a rather big difference in the rates. Now if a big insurance company knows there is more risk in hauling hazmat than non, than that might tell you something about the risks involved.
I have to agree with tombestonebilly here.

I wouldn't mind driving a milk tanker. If there is a spill, everyone can just break out their Lucky Charms and have a field day....because they're magically delicious.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
I agree with Orange TX. You had 18 months experience, then you took 12 months off. Now you basically have zero experience. You might find a 1/2 way decent company that has a refresher course, but I don't know. Heartland has a free refresher, but I wouldn't recommend them right now. They might be o.k. to work for in better times, but dry van freight is slow, slow right now. Most companies say "one year experience within the last 18 months" or something like that. With your experience, its going to be tough.

Here's the key also to sleeping with a reefer. Can you sleep with the truck idling? Before you go to bed, go to the control panel on the reefer unit and set it for "continuous" operation. That way the motor will constantly run, but it will just kick the compressor on and off when it needs it. Sounds basically like the truck idling when its like that. Sure, it uses more fuel, but if you are a company driver, they are paying for the fuel. Besides, you get so used to that unit kicking on and off you don't even notice it after a while. Its easier to sleep with the continuous set, but you would adjust really fast to a reefer.

Good luck finding a job man, but I think you are going to have a tough time. First, your experience is pretty slim as far as insurance and companies goes. Sorry to tell you, but its true. Second, the economy is totally in the crapper. I read an article (I think in Landline) about the drop in freight. Out of the "big 3" types of freight, flatbed has been hit the hardest, dry van is number 2 and reefer freight is down, but has been steadier than the other two.

Hope you find something. Let us know how its going. I'd start calling recruiters as soon as you got up and don't stop till you either find something or they go home. Call as many companies as you can. First thing, ask if they will take you with your experience. If not, mark them off the list. Then weed out from that shortened list. Keep going down through all the things you want. You may find something, but more likely you are going to have to take a hit on one of your "requirements" for a while.
Thanks for your input, P A Frederick!

I had considered Heartland but I was hearing what you are reiterating here. They are extremely slow.

I will definitely consider doing what you suggested if I should end up driving reefer. An idling truck doesn't bother me at all. The reefers that I've gotten stuck sleeping next to were a lot louder than my truck idling. Maybe it depends on the reefer type. I have no idea about that.

From the looks of it so far...the 11 months off doesn't seem to be an issue. The Gordon guy asked what I have been doing and I told him. He was like ok. Then, he asked me to fill out their printed application and fax it back to them when I can. They have a dropyard not too far from here, too...and I can leave my truck there.

I also applied directly at Roehl, Hogan, Paschall, deBoer. I think I will apply at Crete, too. They have a terminal in Ottawa. It's not really close...but it's not horribly far either. I think it's about 60 miles away.

deBoer seems to have places around here but the female recruiter didn't seem anxious to provide that information when I told her my problem with parking the truck. She said there are a lot of drivers around here and they found places to park their trucks. I don't know what that means. Do they leave them in the WalMart lot, pay to park it in someone else's gated yard, can legally park a tractor in their driveways? No idea! I guess I will have to call and ask someone who can give me more information about that.

Barr-Nunn guy says I have to keep the truck with me but I can drop the trailer in the yard. That doesn't help because I can't legally park a commercial vehicle in the driveway. I can't see myself anxious to pay someone to park my personal vehicle while away and paying to park a company truck that isn't mine!

That is where everything stands at this moment.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombestonebilly View Post
The argument is not dry-van vs tanker it's dry-van vs HAZMAT tanker.

You have your opinion and I respect that. But call up an insurer like say Progressive and tell em' you want an insurance quote (comprehensive/liability) for hauling general commodities. Now tell them you want to also haul hazmat ans see what happens to the rates they quote you.

You will see a rather big difference in the rates. Now if a big insurance company knows there is more risk in hauling hazmat than non, than that might tell you something about the risks involved.
I understand what your saying, but how many of the big dry van companies require you have Haz Mat to run OTR with them? Quite a few. I found one where I didn't need it just because I've never had to have it before. Some of your reefer companies you have to have it now, too. So really I'm looking at it not as dry van vs. Haz Mat tanker to Haz Mat dry van vs. Haz Mat tanker. See where I'm coming from?

Sure there are more risks in hauling Haz Mat, thats easy. If there weren't, you wouldn't need an endorsement to do it would you? There is a bigger risk involved, but it seems companies are willing to pay you for taking that added risk. I think if you're a careful driver, you shouldn't have a problem with the Haz Mat tanker route. I'd do it myself if I had a terminal closer to me (which at most Haz Mat tanker companies you have to park the truck at a terminal). The closest I've found the company isn't hiring anyone right now.

Maybe taking 11-12 months won't be as big a deal as I thought it would be. I hope you find something. Just don't get conned into "we don't have any company trucks available, but we've got some lease trucks here...." I've had a couple companies pull that on me. Seems now that everyone is keeping their job they can get more guys who need a job (or a better job) roped into leasing a truck just so they have something. I'm looking everyday for something better myself. Miles I'm getting aren't working out at all.

What about running intermodal for someone up there. Surely you would be close to someone's yard by that route. I know Schneider does a lot of intermodal, but their main terminal for Chicago is in Gary.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
I understand what your saying, but how many of the big dry van companies require you have Haz Mat to run OTR with them? Quite a few. I found one where I didn't need it just because I've never had to have it before. Some of your reefer companies you have to have it now, too. So really I'm looking at it not as dry van vs. Haz Mat tanker to Haz Mat dry van vs. Haz Mat tanker. See where I'm coming from?

Sure there are more risks in hauling Haz Mat, thats easy. If there weren't, you wouldn't need an endorsement to do it would you? There is a bigger risk involved, but it seems companies are willing to pay you for taking that added risk. I think if you're a careful driver, you shouldn't have a problem with the Haz Mat tanker route. I'd do it myself if I had a terminal closer to me (which at most Haz Mat tanker companies you have to park the truck at a terminal). The closest I've found the company isn't hiring anyone right now.

Maybe taking 11-12 months won't be as big a deal as I thought it would be. I hope you find something. Just don't get conned into "we don't have any company trucks available, but we've got some lease trucks here...." I've had a couple companies pull that on me. Seems now that everyone is keeping their job they can get more guys who need a job (or a better job) roped into leasing a truck just so they have something. I'm looking everyday for something better myself. Miles I'm getting aren't working out at all.

What about running intermodal for someone up there. Surely you would be close to someone's yard by that route. I know Schneider does a lot of intermodal, but their main terminal for Chicago is in Gary.
Thanks...and good luck to you, too! How does intermodal work? I know you haul containers around. Do you just get straight mileage usually? Driving around Chicagoland in a rig, you would have to get seriously compensated with extra incentives (local stop pay) or paid hourly to even make it worth it. Traffic blows here! Is all of the intermodal stuff local deliveries? Every time I had to run a local load with WH, I spent way too long doing it and making no money. I hate driving around Chicago...that is why I was doing and want to continue doing OTR.