User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 AM
jonp's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Mbi

I have a chance to drive for MBI (Mr. Bults, Inc.) hauling garbage. Day cabs, home every night with an occasional 1/2 day on Sat. The guy said it was paid by the load and I should be able to make around $150 - $200 a day.

Anyone know anything about this company? Anyone haul garbage and does that seem reasonable?
I'm going to have to move back home, 900 miles, for this job and want to know beforhand if this is just bull.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM
INKTOXICATED's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CENTRAL JERSEY
Posts: 179
Default

compare it to kephart trucking at there websites payscale. thats a big trash hauler. 200 a day sounds fair if the hours are less then 10 a day with good benefits. hows the equipment. i wouldnt want to drive around trash in a peice of trash all day for less then 200. 200 x 5 plus maybe a sixth day for 1000 is fair, but like i said if your working more then 10 hours a day it begins to get low. 150 a day is to low
. then again im in jersey an anything less then 275 a day sucks
http://www.kepharttrucking.com/driver.php

Last edited by INKTOXICATED; 02-15-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Board Regular
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 209
Default

I drive for MBI in Salt lake city Utah and I'm pretty happy with it. Each terminal will have it's own payscale as the runs are different for each. We have 3 different transfer stations to pick up from, but we deliver to the same landfill. We also run super sets here! I believe we are the only ones that do so, so we have to break up our sets at the landfill, dump each on, and put them back together

Our guys can make about $1000 a week give or take. But times are slow now and we miss alot of runs. I missed over 50 runs last year so my yearly was over 5k short. But I still made 49k. But from what I understand, you do not get raises here! There is no cost of living increase, nor is there a increase for seniority. I have a big problem with that, but oh well.

Bennies are average,,,good for a driving job,,,average or below for a regular(skilled) job.

Retirement is ok, they match 100% up to 3%, vested in 5 years.

Vacation sucks ass bad! 1 week first 2 years, 2 weeks after 3, 3 weeks after 9years"WTF?" 4 weeks after 19 Years

You also get a little bonus to you check if you work a full week and make all your runs. Ours added up to about 200 extra bucks a month, but do to the crappy economy Jim Bults put that on hold for a while.

Trucks are late model red Kenworth T-800 daycabs with Caterpillars in them. They're ok. Ours seem to rattle like hell all the time.

We work M-F with most guys averaging 9.5 to 11 hours. We didn't work very many saturdays last year(6or7)

This has been the best driving job I have had so far. I have been here 2 years and don't have any intentions or leaving(at least for a driving job).

One thing to remember tho,,,,you're dealing with trash! It's gonna stink and there's gonna be some gross ass stuff in it and if you have a seagull or bird problem like we do, you're gonna get pooped on all the time! Also you have to tarp your trailer so the trash doesn't fly out. I think you're going to be using the steel mess ones that go from front to back. You'll have to climb up and unroll it by hand and then reroll it back up when loaded or done unloading.

Our Terminal uses a bidding process for runs, so I'm not sure what your terminal will be like. And most MBI terminals do lay off when it slow, so be aware of that until you build up seniority. Most terminals will let you keep your senority when you come back after a lay off.

We laid off 3 guys and then brought 1 back after a week, Phoenix laid of over 30 out of 100 trucks due to some accounts being lost.

I'd say go for it. The job(for me) is extremely relaxing! I get loaded at the same place everday and I deliver to the same place everyday. I know within $100-200 what ny check is going to be like every week.
I get my own truck and my own trailer set that I have had for 2 years.

I'm happy except for the damn birds, but I have the best damn Boss on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, send me a PM if you have more questions. Also let me know what terminal you are going to and I will ask my Boss if he has heard anything through the grapevine about that place.

Last edited by scythe08; 02-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Mr. Ford95's Avatar
Board Icon
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orange, VA
Posts: 5,628
Default

The equipment that runs thru my area(NOVA) looks good but the drivers look like bums straight off the street.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Board Regular
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 209
Default

Haha, we have a few of those too! But the majority of our guys are old timers. So they look decent but drive slow as hell
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM
jonp's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default

The new terminal will haul for one dump only so I'm not sure how that will work out. Thanks for all of you input.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Orangetxguy's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08 View Post
I drive for MBI in Salt lake city Utah and I'm pretty happy with it. Each terminal will have it's own payscale as the runs are different for each. We have 3 different transfer stations to pick up from, but we deliver to the same landfill. We also run super sets here! I believe we are the only ones that do so, so we have to break up our sets at the landfill, dump each on, and put them back together

Our guys can make about $1000 a week give or take. But times are slow now and we miss alot of runs. I missed over 50 runs last year so my yearly was over 5k short. But I still made 49k. But from what I understand, you do not get raises here! There is no cost of living increase, nor is there a increase for seniority. I have a big problem with that, but oh well.

Bennies are average,,,good for a driving job,,,average or below for a regular(skilled) job.

Retirement is ok, they match 100% up to 3%, vested in 5 years.

Vacation sucks ass bad! 1 week first 2 years, 2 weeks after 3, 3 weeks after 9years"WTF?" 4 weeks after 19 Years

You also get a little bonus to you check if you work a full week and make all your runs. Ours added up to about 200 extra bucks a month, but do to the crappy economy Jim Bults put that on hold for a while.

Trucks are late model red Kenworth T-800 daycabs with Caterpillars in them. They're ok. Ours seem to rattle like hell all the time.

We work M-F with most guys averaging 9.5 to 11 hours. We didn't work very many saturdays last year(6or7)

This has been the best driving job I have had so far. I have been here 2 years and don't have any intentions or leaving(at least for a driving job).

One thing to remember tho,,,,you're dealing with trash! It's gonna stink and there's gonna be some gross ass stuff in it and if you have a seagull or bird problem like we do, you're gonna get pooped on all the time! Also you have to tarp your trailer so the trash doesn't fly out. I think you're going to be using the steel mess ones that go from front to back. You'll have to climb up and unroll it by hand and then reroll it back up when loaded or done unloading.

Our Terminal uses a bidding process for runs, so I'm not sure what your terminal will be like. And most MBI terminals do lay off when it slow, so be aware of that until you build up seniority. Most terminals will let you keep your senority when you come back after a lay off.

We laid off 3 guys and then brought 1 back after a week, Phoenix laid of over 30 out of 100 trucks due to some accounts being lost.

I'd say go for it. The job(for me) is extremely relaxing! I get loaded at the same place everday and I deliver to the same place everyday. I know within $100-200 what ny check is going to be like every week.
I get my own truck and my own trailer set that I have had for 2 years.

I'm happy except for the damn birds, but I have the best damn Boss on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, send me a PM if you have more questions. Also let me know what terminal you are going to and I will ask my Boss if he has heard anything through the grapevine about that place.
Be thankful your not on the Gulf Coast!! It's starting into Crawfisg Season...and the trash dumps are gonna be unbelievable with the discards !!! :hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno:

$1000 a week isn't enough for doing garbage.
__________________
Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Board Regular
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Be thankful your not on the Gulf Coast!! It's starting into Crawfisg Season...and the trash dumps are gonna be unbelievable with the discards !!! :hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno:

$1000 a week isn't enough for doing garbage.
On my route, we get the carcasses from a local mink farm,,,Bleah! Salt lake isn't known for it's high paying driving jobs. This has been the highest paying local work I could find besides maybe LTL or fuel hauling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
The new terminal will haul for one dump only so I'm not sure how that will work out. Thanks for all of you input.
So is this a brand new terminal? Are you one of the first guys to be there? If you are and it was like SLC, it's going to be a hairy ride until everyone(MBI, the transfer station, and the landfill) get everything coordinated enough to run good. But it will be so worth it if you are up the list on seniority! The guys who are on the top here start work at around 6 and usually only put in 8.5 to 9 hour days and they almost always get all their runs

Last edited by scythe08; 02-16-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
jonp's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default

No I wont be at the top of the board. Some guys are coming over from another company and the terminal manager needs another 6 to fill the trucks so i'll be behind some guys.
Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.