User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Wanna git outta trucking?

In this economy, the truck driver has too many things stacked against him/her. The trucking companies are taking advantage of less freight, less we have to pay for drivers, or shipping cost. The o/o's sre getting clobbered by those undercutting their rates. I drive for a local company, home every night. Does the job suck? Sure it does, but it is better than being far from home feeling miserable. There are times that I want to get into another field, but at 51 years of age, what can I do? Especially in this economy. I am so busy during the work week, [still put in at least 60 or more hours per week], that I do not have the time to really put anything into motion. Guess I will have to wait until vacation time to do anything serious. I would like to work for myself, again, In this economy, what can you get into that so many have lost their shirts already?It will be a rough ride in 2009.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Board Regular

go, cya. how can you say truckers got so much against them and then turn around and tell us how busy you are? don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. all of this negativity is starting to piss me off. bye bye.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
go, cya. how can you say truckers got so much against them and then turn around and tell us how busy you are? don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. all of this negativity is starting to piss me off. bye bye.
X2:thumbsup:

Go ahead and find another line of work. Just don't come crawling back in a few months :cry: that you got laid-off and now no trucking company will hire because they have to many drivers.

Geez, 60 hours a week and driving local and still :cry:. JUST BE GLAD THAT YOU HAVE A JOB AT THIS TIME!

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrucker1 View Post
In this economy, the truck driver has too many things stacked against him/her. The trucking companies are taking advantage of less freight, less we have to pay for drivers, or shipping cost. The o/o's sre getting clobbered by those undercutting their rates. I drive for a local company, home every night. Does the job suck? Sure it does, but it is better than being far from home feeling miserable. There are times that I want to get into another field, but at 51 years of age, what can I do? Especially in this economy. I am so busy during the work week, [still put in at least 60 or more hours per week], that I do not have the time to really put anything into motion. Guess I will have to wait until vacation time to do anything serious. I would like to work for myself, again, In this economy, what can you get into that so many have lost their shirts already?It will be a rough ride in 2009.
go tell the guys that are getting laid off left and right that you have a 60 hour week job you want to get rid off... i heard heartland is doing some downsizing, maybe one of them can use the job, hell i'm in VA, where in NC are u?? hand it to me!! i'll take it off your hands ... what a clown this guy is!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Dear Boss,

In these hard economic times I really dont want my local 60 hour a week job anymore. Even though iI should be lucky to have a job. I feel badly because owner operators are getting undercut by their competition and company drivers are being paid less. I dont know what else I can do as far as job skills so I went on a trucking message board and they didnt help me. Some guy named Hawk Jr. said he would take my job. Please let him have it.

Your grandson,

Frank
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Just cuz he is working 60/hrs a week doesn't mean he is making money.

But if i were you i would stick around at your current job. I been looking for local jobs and no one is hiring. So just keep what you got for now anyway.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

But if i were you i would stick around at your current job. I been looking for local jobs and no one is hiring. So just keep what you got for now anyway.
2nd that, we have no idea if he is working 60 hours a week at minimum wage or what. Right now is not the time to be leaving your current job though. Stick with it as long as you can at your company unless they are closing up shop and you absolutely need a new job.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

+1
My current job , i am paid by the load not for time worked. I spent 11 hours last tuesday on just 1 load. Made $100 for the day. But I really like this job as these are not average days and I am very grateful I have a job. Our local classified went from having a full page of jobs to just 5 ads last week and all of those were perma ads from the coolie carriers.

Just be patient and count your blessings
Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
a full page of jobs to just 5 ads last week and all of those were perma ads from the coolie carriers.
Many days around here of late we have maybe 5 ads total in the paper. Had one day a couple of weeks ago and there was NOTHING in the help wanted section.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
X2:thumbsup:

Go ahead and find another line of work. Just don't come crawling back in a few months :cry: that you got laid-off and now no trucking company will hire because they have to many drivers.

Geez, 60 hours a week and driving local and still :cry:. JUST BE GLAD THAT YOU HAVE A JOB AT THIS TIME!
Got to agree...

If your job sucks, just tell your boss. I'm sure he doesn't want/need to have unhappy employees.

And right now, as you read this, Obie is creating LOTS of new jobs...