User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default May Trucking - Looking for your experience with them

I'm a CA driver with Schneider thinking long and hard about getting the hell out of CA. May has a O.C. in AZ which would be great if I move there. Does anyone have any knowledge of how good a company they are? There website like all the rest paint a rosy picture but I want to know what any of their drivers think of the company. Miles per week, lease purchase (I'm not crazy about any lease but I want to go Owner Op at some point) hazmat req. , refer loads on the 48 state worth it? etc. etc. and dang nab it.....etc. Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrat View Post
lease purchase (I'm not crazy about any lease but I want to go Owner Op at some point)
A lease purchase is not the way to become an O/O, that is done by saving any extra money you can and using it as a down payment and buy a truck on your own, where you are not tied down to any one company if things go south at that company. Never be indebted to a company for more than a job....

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Rookie

Good company,you get the miles. just be careful an watch your back with management
Old 01-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Board Regular

I have a friend that pulls reefer for them. He says he's happy with the miles he's getting, especially considering the overall state of things.

They just took him out of his 376 EXH & gave him a newer 387 & he's having nothing but problems with it. He does say that the co. is pretty reesponsive about fixing stuff. He's blaming most of the probs on whoever drove it before him. Anybody that leaves the interior like a pig pen probably isn't real good on the rest of the truck.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I tried getting on with them a short while back...They simply had no open trucks!

All seats full...Standing room only
Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
A lease purchase is not the way to become an O/O, that is done by saving any extra money you can and using it as a down payment and buy a truck on your own, where you are not tied down to any one company if things go south at that company. Never be indebted to a company for more than a job....
Hey Mike yeah I totally agree with you. Saved quite a bit toward buying my own and then the economy started nose diving. I spent have of it trying to survive but I guess I better start saving up again and do it the right way. Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. I ran into a guy yesterday who worked for them and he said he loved it. They treated him well so I guess they are a pretty good company.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Default May Trucking

I used to drive for them, and would recommend them to anyone.

I started out with a Pete 379 (few dents & dings on the outside, but mechanically great), changed to a Pete 387 (low miles, and very nice), and ran dry vans in the Western 11 for them. In that time I also pulled two reefer loads. The trucks were governed at 60 mph (up to +3mph with good mpg), and the two day dm's I had were a pleasure to work with. You don't need a hazmat endorsement for the Western 11, but will for the 48 fleet (reefers).

The freight was slow at the time with some weeks being right around 1,900 miles a week, and then others would be over 3,000. The pay, and average miles is comparable with other companies. I never had any problems with getting paid for what I did. The few minor scale receipts that weren't included were paid in my next paycheck when I provided the payroll department the receipt. I had a personal matter that when discussed with the supervisor was resolved without issue, and did not result in less miles as a result. When I submitted my two weeks notice my miles did not drop off, and they did not "forget" when my last day was. The same can be said for home time, as I never once had to remind them, and always got home on time. They did what they said they'd do, and I delivered the freight safely, legally, and on time as I said I would. That's about all I can ask for, and was very happy with May Trucking.

Sure there were annoyances. Driving 60mph in a 65-70mph state for one, but it's their truck and if they want it driven 20 mph I would have (while looking for another job. The idle policy and lack of apu's while running CA (I understand why they want idle time reduced, and I benefited from the program, but can see why many drivers didn't like it). The cruise control would not work if the lights were on which got really annoying when in light traffic areas where I could use it but wanted the added visibility of running with the lights on. Most of their customers are great, but a certain distributor in Tracy, CA could make even Gandhi go postal. Night dm's won't plan you on a load so if you get empty in the middle of the night you might as well go to sleep. Oh, and getting planned empty on a Friday afternoon in Salt Lake City.

I enjoyed my time at May and would gladly go back to work for them.

Last edited by Flying W; 03-29-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: needed to remove a word or two to make a better sentence
Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Still no cruise at night? Wow. That was in place when I worked there in 2004. What was the official reason for it, if you ever heard?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Still no cruise at night? Wow. That was in place when I worked there in 2004. What was the official reason for it, if you ever heard?
It reduces the number of 61 mph power naps.