User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Don't think I'd want you as a soldier, Steve. Soldiers learn to take responsibility for their actions. You seem to want to blame it on actions of others. You screwed your CDL.

"Everyone tells me going into the military as an alternative is a death-wish, even more dangerous than driving a truck."

Shows you listen to others opinions and throw the thought out here to others, looking for us to make your decisions. Lets see, DOT's numbers say 5240 trucker deaths in 2005, 4808 in 2007. Hmmm. I found those stats in less than 5 minutes. You, chose to listen to "friends" say your chances of being killed is higher in the military. Maybe you need better friends.
DOT Puts New Rule In Place To Lower Truck Driver Fatalities

Steve, as a driver, retired army who recruited for 4 yrs, and fellow citizen, let me say, GET A LIFE AND BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT! I should find that Guard rctr and make sure if you go that u don't get any special promotion to E-3 or E-4 for your experience. Your experience, from what I read, blows. Giving you a promotion for it only makes you closer to E-5, where you can be in charge of soldiers. You are no where close to being in charge , leading and training soldiers. From reading your posts, you are the type of guy who'd be thrust into a leadership position way too early and cost lives. Kind of like alot of trucking company office personnel.

You're the type that has to air out his problems looking for solace, comfort from others to feel gratified. I've seen 18/19 yr old young men and women in uniform with more guts, determination and confidence than you'll ever have.

Stay where you are. I'm sure you can find a job driving a van servicing snack machines, carpets or dirty uniforms.

Do me and your nation a favor. Stay out of the military. Like driving jobs, you can be a driver or a steering wheel holder. Military doesn't want holders.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Rookie

Another typical idiot.
"Everyone tells me going into the military as an alternative is a death-wish, even more dangerous than driving a truck."

On another forum, I've rebutted this notion. We're just over 4k deaths in Iraq since 2001. Lets see. In the USA, about 16k murders a yr. about 38-40k traffic fatalities a yr. 200k + injuries from traffic accidents / yr. You know what? Military looks like a safe place to be.

Re-enlistments were at an all time high 1 year ago. that was b4 economic down turn.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe View Post
Do me and your nation a favor. Stay out of the military. Like driving jobs, you can be a driver or a steering wheel holder. Military doesn't want holders.
Wow, you sound like a recruiter!

I disagree. Much of the US military is an example of mediocrity at it's finest. There are many good men and women serving, but there are also many more who do the minimum amount of work possible to get by.

Much like truck drivers!!!

I have lots of respect for the military and those serving today, but let's not put them on a pedestal and use it to beat others up on the forums.

Please get off your high military horse....
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Much of the US military is an example of mediocrity at it's finest. There are many good men and women serving, but there are also many more who do the minimum amount of work possible to get by.
Tell you what Tom, let's go back in time so you can see how many of the Marines in my infantry squad sandbagged doing the minimum required while doing a combat patrol in Kuwait or Somalia. Or my ordnance crew on the flight deck of a carrier hand loading eight F/A-18s for missions over Bosnia and Iraq. Answer is ZERO!

I agree and see your point, especially considering younger people in m.o.s.'s that aren't extremely stressful and/or life-threatening, but those that do the minimum will not stay since they'll never make it past the required courses that are mandatory with higher rank and responsibility. If they try the instructors will simply weed them out, and if they somehow manage to slip through the cracks there, senior NCO's in the command will adjust their work ethic and attitude accordingly.

:thumbsup:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Board Regular

Ah, Carlo...see how I worded that? I said "much" of our Military. I certainly believe that there are many great units with great people...but in my 4 years, from '04-'07 including one year in a combat zone, there are at least as many folks who are in it to do the bare minimum as there are who have any pride in their job.

May have been different when you were in. I wasn't around back then!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Wink

Which is why I wrote that last segment in my previous post. I saw it as well but wouldn't personally allow it in my unit. Was I a hard-azz? 110% but, so were all of the guys I was in charge of. We all believed in work hard, play hard and pulled our weight be it when as grunts or Ordies. And oh, some of the playing we did when work was done!!!! :lol::rofl:

But yes, there are many who can't grasp the concept of the sayings that I have in my signature as well as the following...

"The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war!"

:thumbsup: Ttyl

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 01-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve38 View Post
Well, gee whiz Mr. Skywalker...I apologize for offending you. But with your first post calling me a liar and telling me to pull my head out of my butt, I think it was well deserved. If that is 'advice' then it seems to me that you pretty much personify what is wrong with this industry. The point I was trying to make in my previous post was that even if a driver has a great attitude and comports himself in a professional manner, he is still a trucker and gets grouped with all the negative, trashy stereotypical ones. And oh yeah, it seems to me that anyone who 'has been around here' and established a 'modicum of credibility' would know that taking a company truck into a private shop on your own dime results in immediate termination, especially under the circumstances.

Anyways, enough BS. Today was a good day, as I got my CDL back! Passed all my written tests last week, rented a truck, and passed the road test today. So soon I will be back on the road and undoubtedly living up to the "menace to the driving public" reputation that has been so deservedly bestowed upon me by some of my fellow brethen. LOL

And big thanks to everyone who found it possible to offer constructive criticism (positive and negative). I appreciate it. Maybe there is hope after all. :thumbsup:
Congrats on getting your CDL back and I appreciate your frankness in telling your story. I think you took responsibility and were just looking for honest advice, not sympathy. As a new trucker myself, I definitely try to learn from other's experience/mistakes, as we don't live long enough to make all of them ourselves!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Rookie

UPDATE: Good news! I started my new driving job yesterday! After only a week of job hunting, i found a company that would look at my whole record and not just the few black marks on it. The best part of all is that it's actually a better company than my previous one (not just my opinion either). So maybe this will serve as an example and inspiration to those drivers out there looking for work. There ARE jobs out there, but it takes a bit of effort to find them so you have to stay positive and be persistent. So today the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I'm headed north out of Texas. Peace everyone, and see ya on the road!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve38 View Post
UPDATE: Good news! I started my new driving job yesterday! After only a week of job hunting, i found a company that would look at my whole record and not just the few black marks on it. The best part of all is that it's actually a better company than my previous one (not just my opinion either). So maybe this will serve as an example and inspiration to those drivers out there looking for work. There ARE jobs out there, but it takes a bit of effort to find them so you have to stay positive and be persistent. So today the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I'm headed north out of Texas. Peace everyone, and see ya on the road!
Good Luck, Steve! Be Safe!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Red face

Nice.

It's good to read messages that will either lay the naysayers to rest, or fire them into "we're all gonna die" mode.

Other than that, stay safe and log those "million"