User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fedex Ground

Hey everyone, its been a little since I been on CAD so just wanted to say Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone!!! Also I've been very curious about Fedex Ground. Normally I pull doubles for Fedex National as I drive for a subcontractor (not for everyone but I like it) so I'm kinda gettin the ropes of Fedex. The other week my boss calls me up and says to report to Fedex Ground in Phoenix Az. they need a little help for the holidays. Well I got an awesome dedicated run from Phx, Az. to Fort Worth, Tx. I believe it was 1089 miles one way and it was drop/hook and come right back to Phx. So me and my girlfriend did this for about a week before christmas and I truly enjoyed their equipment, dispatchers, other drivers. Everyone seemed nice and I want to know more about Fedex Ground. Knowing that they are 100% owner operator company does anyone know if they help you buy/lease a truck or do you have to own one already?? I have called their 800 number for recruiting but no one has got back to us, hopefully not a sign that its too slow and their not hiring, but any info that anyone has would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Board Regular

Not sure this is what you are looking for:

https://www.fedex.com/grd/indcontr/ICLanding.do?link=4

Link to the Linehaul jobs around the country
Old 12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member

TEAMS start at $.98/mile, top rate $1.06/mile
SINGLES start at $.97/mile, top rate $1.05/mile

where do I sign up?

and also didn't they take away the fuel cap program?

Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Hey everyone, its been a little since I been on CAD so just wanted to say Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone!!! Also I've been very curious about Fedex Ground. Normally I pull doubles for Fedex National as I drive for a subcontractor (not for everyone but I like it) so I'm kinda gettin the ropes of Fedex. The other week my boss calls me up and says to report to Fedex Ground in Phoenix Az. they need a little help for the holidays. Well I got an awesome dedicated run from Phx, Az. to Fort Worth, Tx. I believe it was 1089 miles one way and it was drop/hook and come right back to Phx. So me and my girlfriend did this for about a week before christmas and I truly enjoyed their equipment, dispatchers, other drivers. Everyone seemed nice and I want to know more about Fedex Ground. Knowing that they are 100% owner operator company does anyone know if they help you buy/lease a truck or do you have to own one already?? I have called their 800 number for recruiting but no one has got back to us, hopefully not a sign that its too slow and their not hiring, but any info that anyone has would be appreciated.
Go to YouTube and type in "FedEx Ground" and watch all the videos about wrecked doubles and packages scattered all over the highway. Last week, I was in the rocking chair of a convoy on the Mass Pike rolling along at 30 mph due to gusting snow and ice...and sure enough...here comes BillyBigRig FedEx Ground O/O blowing the doors off everyone with a set of doubles in the hammer lane.

It's cheap money and tight gate times. Why on earth would you do this when you could go to UPS and get paid $30.00/hr plus OT as a feeder driver to pull a set? Oh that's right, it's all about the shiny truck and the miles plus you have to pay your dues at UPS.

In a former life, I was a manager there back when they were called RPS (Roadway Package Service). They were no good then and they're even worse now. And former founder/CEO Dan Sullivan is an ASSHOLE!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
TEAMS start at $.98/mile, top rate $1.06/mile
SINGLES start at $.97/mile, top rate $1.05/mile

where do I sign up?
Your joking right?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM
floored

Fedex Ground - if you sign on don't expect a dedicated run anytime soon, those are bid on by seniority. I also know here in Sacramento work is SLOW, as with many other freight outfits. Tractor must be 5 years old or newer when signed on, must be white, blah blah blah..

I drove under an O/O there, he's running 4 trucks currently, but he's been there since before they were Fedex so he's got mad seniority points to get the good runs. As with anyone else, if its paying those kind of rates, buy an AFFORDABLE truck and figure your mileage on the low end when your working numbers so you can be sure you can cover costs and living expenses.

BOL
Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 PM
BANNED
Rookie

And another thing...FedEx Ground is getting sued left and right by states and the IRS for misclassifying their workers as independent contractors when they're really employees...and entitled to all the benefits that employees enjoy that big-time O/O's and I/C's don't.

So why would you work for a company that treats its employees like that?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Board Regular

Hey Mike,
I worked for RPS too in SLC and they were hammered crap back then. Not sure how it works now, but back then you had to buy your route from a the previous driver who owned it or from the terminal itself. I always thought what kind of BS is that?!. I liked the Comment about UPS tho' hehe. I had planned on going to UPS years ago to move up into the feeders,,,,,,12 year wait!!! My back lasted 2 years and then I left LOL and now I'm too old to go back.

I have checked several job offers in the papers for Fed ex Ground and each one was by a fleet owner for minimal pay and minimal bennies if any. The only perk was it was all drop and hook, 100 % no touch freight. I haul super sets now and love doing it, but I just never liked the attitudes there. I don't mean to sound like an ass to those of you that work there and like it, I'm just stating my own opinion and experiences.

Have a great new year Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Board Regular

i drive for a contractor at ground. i love it. but there is alot more to it than what lbj, cfm, coolio, and ,mike hunt says. he worked in the docks...does he know that it sucks to drive for a contractor? alot of it depends on the contractor, the runs he/she has, etc. this whole thing..industry is not a a cookie cutter deal. some like it, some hate it. some people choose to be miserable assholes ther whole life and others choose to love life and everything that goes with it. floored knows about fed ex...on the west coast. i know about fed ex between columbus and the east coast. it is all different. columbus has good dispatchers, jersey has shitty ones. would i buy a truck and lease on? no. because of the reason that floored stated, when you buy a truck to lease on you start at the bottom. no dedicated for a few years, and right now you may get one maybe two runs a week, and those runs might suck for miles. would i buy someones run and truck with points. yes, in a heartbeat. btu that is me, i am not you.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
i drive for a contractor at ground. i love it. but there is alot more to it than what lbj, cfm, coolio, and ,mike hunt says. he worked in the docks...does he know that it sucks to drive for a contractor? alot of it depends on the contractor, the runs he/she has, etc. this whole thing..industry is not a a cookie cutter deal. some like it, some hate it. some people choose to be miserable assholes ther whole life and others choose to love life and everything that goes with it. floored knows about fed ex...on the west coast. i know about fed ex between columbus and the east coast. it is all different. columbus has good dispatchers, jersey has shitty ones. would i buy a truck and lease on? no. because of the reason that floored stated, when you buy a truck to lease on you start at the bottom. no dedicated for a few years, and right now you may get one maybe two runs a week, and those runs might suck for miles. would i buy someones run and truck with points. yes, in a heartbeat. btu that is me, i am not you.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quote:
Mike Hunt wrote;
In a former life, I was a manager there back when they were called RPS (Roadway Package Service).
So that is why fork lift operators at RPS were such PIA's?? They were all managers??

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: