User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson View Post
Hey thebaldeagle655 if you dont mind me asking who do you drive for? Sounds like a decent company to do that.

No problem at all, I driver for Westar Transportation out of Jolly, Tx. I average around 2500 - 2700 miles a week with the occasional, well, let's just say, can't quite log that many Two weeks ago we were extremely slow, I got 1600 miles for the week, last week, Christmas week, I got 3400 miles and was home 2 full days and 2 1/2 days for Christmas. Unloaded Monday in Kimball, Ne, no loads up there so they deadheaded me to Duke Ok. (665 miles) and I am off until Thursday afternoon for New Years. They get you home when they can! I have been EXTREMELY happy with them!

Most of our runs are Duke, Ok or Acme, Tx to the Houston area then North from there. A lot of Oklahoma (all over) some Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, North and South Dakota, and a little Montana. Flatbeds but they now have a heavy haul division with trucks both in Jolly and Midland.

We now have yards in Tulsa, Lone Star, Tx and Midland, Tx.

PM me if you need more info. I think they have a $500 sign-on bonus at this time. If you do apply, get with me and I will give you my name because drivers get a matching bonus for referrals.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Board Regular

PM sent
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 PM

That was ME who told of the driver going 1000 miles out of route to go home, no it wasn't a stretch and no it wasn't a counter story. (I have sat at the counter in a truckstop 1 time in 19 years and left the waitress a $10 bill, got up and walked out before my food came because I couldn't take the conversation and lost my apetite.)

Anyhow, on to the driver going home, I recognized the load on his truck, it was from one of our regular customers and whether or not he was actually headed to Miami I can't say but he was headed East on I-12 east of Baton Rouge when I seen him. He did state to me that he runs home all the time if he's got the time regardless of miles. And with that being said, I never seen or heard anything from LS about routed miles or out of route miles. The only mention of miles was when on an OD load and your taken way out of route by permits they need to know the route you took before sending in your empty macro so that you get paid for the extra miles. That was it.

I personally would never run that many miles out of route for any reason. I will however run the, what I deem, the quickest route and if a company has a problem with me running 10 to 20% over to get there quicker and I might add with less wear and tear on the truck then I don't need to work for them anyway.

LS deadheaded me 1300 miles to pick up a load and that same week they deadheaded another driver from Tacoma, WA to Laredo, TX for a load going 900 miles. It happens and it happens often especially when you get into specialized equipment.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Swift is really watching the out-of-route miles now, so says the Qualcomm.

AND

They won't be reimbursing for showers any more..... sell your Johnson (soap) stock because there will be lots of stinking Swift drivers!!! :hellno: uke:
Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655 View Post
No problem at all, I driver for Westar Transportation out of Jolly, Tx. I average around 2500 - 2700 miles a week with the occasional, well, let's just say, can't quite log that many Two weeks ago we were extremely slow, I got 1600 miles for the week, last week, Christmas week, I got 3400 miles and was home 2 full days and 2 1/2 days for Christmas. Unloaded Monday in Kimball, Ne, no loads up there so they deadheaded me to Duke Ok. (665 miles) and I am off until Thursday afternoon for New Years. They get you home when they can! I have been EXTREMELY happy with them!

Most of our runs are Duke, Ok or Acme, Tx to the Houston area then North from there. A lot of Oklahoma (all over) some Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, North and South Dakota, and a little Montana. Flatbeds but they now have a heavy haul division with trucks both in Jolly and Midland.

We now have yards in Tulsa, Lone Star, Tx and Midland, Tx.

PM me if you need more info. I think they have a $500 sign-on bonus at this time. If you do apply, get with me and I will give you my name because drivers get a matching bonus for referrals.

Hey!! I've made my way through Jolly a time or two!! I know I have seen the Westar lot...just didn't know what the place was called.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post

AND

They won't be reimbursing for showers any more..... sell your Johnson (soap) stock because there will be lots of stinking Swift drivers!!! :hellno: uke:
I think swifts policy has been, or at least it was when i was ther, is no more than 15% out of route miles. mAny more and they can get upset.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
I think swifts policy has been, or at least it was when i was ther, is no more than 15% out of route miles. mAny more and they can get upset.

Exactly right, but now they don't let you take home your truck unless you are within 50 miles of terminal or trip route
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

ahh, that is a difference. Closest place they could get me usualy was norfolk, va about 60 miles away from the house and usualy they could only get me to food lion in butner, nc or lowes dc outside ronoke rapids, nc and those were in excess of 100 miles from the house. Those were my home loads usualy.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I was dead headed about 500 miles once for home time, but most of the time 200 miles was the max.

It is comparing apples and oranges however if you are talking company drivers or owner/operators. An O/O might choose to DH home 1000+ miles rather than sit and wait on a decent paying load or haul really cheap freight, especially if their last load, or loads up to the that point said they still had a healthy profit even with the DH.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post

AND

Please tell us you that you will still shower, reimbursed or not.