User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation earl Henderson / Henderson trucking Salem Illinois (hays)

any one know anything good or bad about them I am thinking of joining them but don't know much except reeffer , and close to home

I am experienced with 10 plus
No tickets.
No accidents
Clean DAC / MVR

They say that they have regional out 7 / 10
Home 2
I have 3 little ones so regional a must
I only live bout 90 miles from corporate office and bout the same to st louis drop yard bout 1 mile off 55 (I 55 )

Any info would be great

Thanks

Miles , equipment , logging , safety record , benefits. Etc
Old 12-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Board Regular

I am currently driving for them, have been since first week of September. Keep in mind I drive team.

To say this in the nicest way.....they are the most god awful company. I don't know how they stay in business. They are beyond disorganized. Every load we pick up has sat around somewhere until it is impossible to make delivery on time. The planners make non existing appointments, send you to the right place at the wrong time, or the wrong place at the right time. I now double check everything, can't trust them to do their job.

They have kind of 'forced' per diem. Due to the high administrative costs of not doing the per diem, you have to now give up a penny a mile. Mind you, that was never mentioned by recruiter, I was told we did not have to take it, they are starting the "administrative fee" after the first of the year.

They were advertising pay based on PC Miler practical miles. WRONG!!!! After working there we found out not true, I don't even think they are HHG miles, more like whatever they feel like paying you. We carry a laptop with the PC Miler program on it, so I can verify this.

Forced dispatch, with a love for Con-Way loads. At least for us teams. That means running nonstop in our 64mph truck until we get there. God forbid we have to eat. 42 or 43 hours from LaSalle, IL to Renton, Wa (Seattle), which is doable, in good weather, but tight with the slow truck.

Their health insurance is only a minor medical plan, which again was forgotten to be mentioned by the recruiters, they kept telling me about the great medical they had, yeah, if you are there for a year or were hired before May I think. Dental pays $1000 a year a person, vision, don't know, haven't used it, prescription plan is a joke, kind of a discount plan, and it covers very little.

And before all of you jump on me for not checking them out......I did, I even know someone there, but I guess even my 1000 questions weren't enough to get the total truth out of them.

They lie, lie and lie. I caught our lovely dispatch in so many of them I have lost track. Not that I have a ton of love for them, especially after being told....exact words here......we are going to get out of you what we can, and however we can, and my personal favorite....I have been there too, like we all have to suffer the BS as drivers, like it is my special badge to wear.

We have to fight to get a few hours to do laundry or shower and eat. I got to give them credit, we are busy. Getting a restart is spent fighting off dispatch who wants to dispatch you while you are trying to get your hours back. I have to say, my dispatcher is all right, laid back and cool, but as soon as he leaves the vultures descend down on us, trying to push, push and push.

We make decent money, 45 cents split, over 5000 miles a week

As a single you top out at 37 cents a mile, don't know about the regional.

We drive a pretty new truck, 2008 Columbia, 200,000 miles on it, APU, they will take out the cabinet behind the driver seat so you can put a real fridge in if you want. Not possible with the new trucks anymore though. Lots of new reefer trailers, some older dry vans. As a regional guy you will get a small sleeper truck (48" sleeper only)

The only thing that has to match on your log is fuel, which will be often with 90 gallon tanks.

They allow pets with a pet policy. $300 taking out in increments of $100 a week. They also have a rider policy.

They make you pay for your physical and drug screen, refundable after 6 months maybe.

You have to buy load locks and king pin lock and a cuff for the air line on the trailer and a air valve lock. You will get that back when you turn them in, or so they say.

They will try to keep you on the road until the last minute, and your home time is from midnite to midnite, so if they get you home at 11:59 pm that is being home on time, next 48 hrs off, and dispatched at 12:01am. For us it normally means to be playing shuttle driver all day long in St. Louis so we don't get home until way late.

Any more questions feel free to ask. They are just not for me, a lot of folks seem to like them, as you can tell we don't. This is my point of view, so take it with that grain of salt. And yes, I am looking because I am getting frustrated at the way things work here.

PS we did just get a $25 gift card to Walmart for Christmas.

Last edited by Sabine; 12-24-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 PM

thanks for reply

I been talking to vicki the recruiter

Here's what she says

Cascadia truck
7/10 out 2 home
38 cpm to start
She told me bought that American worker INS I called them it is a joke u are right
But she did say after 1 yr get blue cross bl shld
79 per week family cov

I called a local insurance rep can get family covg for
450 per mth and 17 for dental and vision
This is thru united health care / golden rule plan

Copay doctor is 35
Drugs 10/30
Major medical 2500 ded then 100 percent
Cap 5 mil per person up to 7 people
Out of pocket max 7500 family per year

That equals to bout
130 per week for good stuff

Rate guaranteed 2 years presxusting accepted

Big network

Has chropractoric up to 15 visits for copay 35

She. ( vicki) tells me I can average 3000 per week easy and will go no farther than Denver on regional no NYC home time is full days off says lots of
Dole lettuce etc
Loose leaf logs
Good maint
40 per drop hook ( maybe 35 she said not sure)
New trls
New trucks (condo )

Let me know what u have heard from solos if u have spoke to any of them at yards

I think I saw on another board u were looking at
Link amwerica
I posted a reply there for u

Will Henderson let u take a 10 he break or are they run and gun
She also said their turn over was only 58 percent
Is that true or she fudging that

Thanks for your reply
Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Board Regular

I am willing to bet you right now, that you will not get one of those new Cascadias. The still have some of those small sleeper trucks, and guess what, as a regional driver, you will be first in line for one of those. One of my friends who has been there almost 5 years took a month of for medical reasons and he got a truck with about 220,000 miles on it, no new one. They do give them out, but for some reason I doubt to a new hire on a regional run.

Most single drivers I talk to say they get about 2500 miles. I only talked to one who is busier, so I don't know if you would get that many miles. Same friend struggles to get that often, I don't think he sees more than 2500.

They think nothing of having you sit around for a day or two to pick up one of their "important" customer loads, rather than keep you rolling, even happened to us as a team. All that for a $25 layover fee. Woohoo.

Their insurance is not worth the money you pay for it, can't get out of it until later in the year.

My solo driver friend has gone once to Hunt's Point in all the time he has been with them, earlier this year. I had to hold his hand on the way in and on the way out. I used to run to NYC from St. Louis every week, so I don't mind. I think he felt like he was being sent to Iraq without any weapons to defend himself.......

They have decent equipment, well new anyhow, just about as cheap as you can get on the interior though. I know they are getting lots of trucks in right now, but again, do not hold your breath on getting one of those. We as a team got a used truck, they only Cascadia went to a team doing the lease thing. That is out of 7 of us in orientation. They made someone give us their truck, and they got a new truck.

Their turnover may be like that, I don't know. They have a wall with pics up, with your hire date, and there are quite a few oldtimers there. But, I also noticed that about 30 or 40 pics are gone since the last time I was there, quite a turnover for just a few weeks. One of the things that I know is driving us teams away, is the Con-Way freight. I worked for them, my husband got ill, had surgery, got fired the day after the surgery, and died a few weeks later. I don't want to deal with Con-Way and was assured I wouldn't. Of course that was another lie. That's about all we do, so I am ready to walk. Never mind the fact that at Con-Way we would get paid about 100 miles per trip more than here.

Yeah, you get to take your break, and as a single driver, I can assure you that you are not treated quite as much as a machine that should run, run, run, but as an individual. I just don't think they pay enough, especially with your experience. Read between the lines, there is a lot of stuff recruiting tells you that is just half true, or often just totally untrue.

A lot of freight is drop and hook. At least for us.

Loose leaf logs, yeah, not that it matters, can't speed with the slow truck anyhow. Just the fuel stops need to match within 15 mins, nothing else is looked at.

The shop is ok, but unless you bitch whine and moan you are expected to hang out in the drivers room until they are done, even if it takes all nite long, and be ready to go again first thing. They will put you up, but not without a fight for the most part.

Thanks for your reply to my thread. I hope this helps, I hope you think this through really good. Other than their constant lies their total disorganization is a huge draw back for me. If I did my job like half the office personnel did, I would drive 500 miles a week and go on break the rest of the time. drives me crazy, I hate a place that doesn't have their ducks in a row.

Good luck
Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Rookie

I am starting with Henderson on Jan 12th. I am doing the lease purchase as a solo driver until my wife can join me in about 18 months. I was told 2800-3000 miles a week as an otr driver. I have been approved by John Christner and TransAm also but doing research and talking with other drivers it seems like Henderson would be the best fit.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Board Regular

good luck big orange......I hope it works out for you. All I can stress is, that while on paper you should be able to do the miles, but I don't think most singles see more than about 2500. And for the lease....yuck, would not touch it with a ten foot pole, you have to consistently run 3000 miles or more to make a half way decent check.

But, the equipment is nice, you will get a brand new truck more than likely. Have an attorney look it (the lease paperwork) over before you jump in with both feet.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Big orange

I will say this
John christnor trucking is a class act I just don't want to be gone 14/17 at a clip

From a. L/P stand point consider this

Payment weekly

H 606. Jc 550
Milage same 90
Reffer fuel 3 cpm h. 100 per paid jc
Bonus jc 2 cpm h 0

Trucks. H striped down. Jc O/O spec

Tolls
Jc paid prepass free
H 16 per mth prepass

I I were to buy a truck I would want a spec out unit and look at the residual buy out at end

Henderson 33,000 balloon
Jc 1.00 buyout

Milage pay for reefer fuel

If u set on a load no mile equals no money so why should u pay to keep unit running

If a company pays fuel no worries

Jc pays 2 cpm bonus Henderson pay 3 for fuel net 1 cpm put u must fuel trailer which 20 gallons at 2.00 equals 44.00 or 1800 miles or so give or take

I have done u some math
To compare

Based on new trucks and 3000 miles per week for rounding
And based on expenses given to me by recruiting depts

Henderson trucking

3000 @ .90 = 2700

3000 @ .3 = 90

3000 @ 9 = 270 ( surcharge )

Plates permits no charge
Qualcom no charge
Driver bond deducted 1 cpm or. In this case $30.00 for the week till 1200 met

Locks cuffs etc 1 cpm till 300.00 paid

Rev = 1.02 per mile ~ 2 deductions above = 1.00

Now you will get the 2 back once reserves are met

Deductions

Bobtail = 18.60 per week
Occ accident = 52.00 per wk
Fuel tax per mile = 1.5 = 45.00 ( ooida recommends not per mile flat but by state)
Phy dam 32.00 used 45 new
Accounting = 15.00
Prepass = 16.00
Prepaid legal = 8.00

Then fuel

Gross = 3170
Truck 606
Rev 2554
Minus. Deductions above

Fuel at 7 mpg = 428 gallons
@ 2.45 = 1048
1329 net

Maint = 6 = 180

Reefer fuel 40 gals let's say

Health INS. 120 per week family

948 net perfect week

Same week at john chris

Not so much detail

1103 net

Not counting assoriey pays

Fuel net works

J/c fuel net work will net u an additional

50 to 60 per week

That's my take

Both companies have apu units installed also
Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Sabine

What's up with their receiiters they don't tell u nothing unless u pry
I can tell u I agree disorginixed all the way

I have steller record drove for

Walmart private fleet etc

They have had my stuff 2 weeks and all she tells me is we are getting tons of calls ending in applications when I ask if it's first come first serve or most qualified she won't answer

I have her on email though guaranteeing my a cascadia truck said no problem. For

Cascadia
Regional run
38 cpm to start

Should I believe this or no what's your experience dealing with them ( recruiting)

Can I hold them to it I have been sheltered in walmart to long but could not move to Maine they are down sizing the general DC I had almost 5 yrs with them alone but had to resign best job I ever had

I have looked at

Crete
Shaffer

You got any thoughts I looked at Henderson do to fact close to the house

Thanks
Old 12-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Board Regular

Henderson is not the worst outfit you can go with, but in my experience, even with asking tons of questions, writing the answers down, checking with my friend, doing all the research I could, I feel pretty bad that they got one over on me.

I do ask all the appropriate questions, and in my opinion, the really big ones were the health plan, which I know they now tell you the truth, after I bitched about it, the mileage pay is not based on PC Miler, which I don't think they lie about any longer, since I called them on it about 2 months ago and last but not least, the way they are trying to nickel and dime us to death. With money here and there going to them, basically changing rules midstream.

You have to make your own decision, but based on my own experience I regret coming here. Considering how small a company they are, even though they are the biggest I have ever worked for. I don't get how they can be so screwed up.

The people are pretty nice, but nice ain't cutting it if you are taking money out of my pocket, screw with me in the multitude of ways they seem to be able to every week.

They do have APU's. You don't have to worry about staying warm or cool.

The recruiters are nice enough people, but keep in mind, that what they tell you, and what really happens is a world apart. They do not assign you the truck, they don't let you go home for home time, they don't dispatch you. They are selling you the job, and you are trying to figure out if the Gremlin they are trying to sell you is really as good as they say it is.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Rookie

The only reason i am not going with jct is the time out and from talking to other drivers they are forgettable about getting you home on the day you request. As far as health insurance i am covered on that, i am retired military so no need to buy any more. I was told the buyout on the 09 Cascadia is 15k. I haven't had a chance to find out the spec. yet but plan to next week.