User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking

Last year during this time, I pulled Wally trailers, while driving for JB, all over Texas and Oklahoma. I did get paid extra for the stops. I liked it, all were drop n hooks, everytime I pulled into a Wally DC, I got to use the "left lane" at the guard shack, was treated good by all the Wally people. No complaints! I can see why those guys stay and why it's so hard to get on with WalMart.
JB's not that bad. You have to put in a few days in order to get good results. That goes with any job. If I knew I was going to sit at a terminal for a day or two, I'd "volunteer" to shag a trailer or two around town. madeup for the money I was losing by not being on the road. All what you make it, I guess.
There's more to trucking than sitting, bitching about not getting the best of everything. Sometimes ya have to hustle your way around.

And besides, I'd make a lousy burger flipper! I'm LEFT HANDED!!
down the hill
Old 12-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
WALMART is a private carrier. There is a BIG difference between PRIVATE carriers and common carriers. I drive for a PRIVATE carrier. Guess I should have said most but then again not everybody on this board is as anal as you.:moon: Everyone can't drive for WALMART or get the pay and benefits that they get.

Have you ever worked for a common carrier that has trucks DEDICATED to Walmart? If not, then are you sure that they don't? Some common carriers that have dedicated Walmart trucks DO pay the drivers hub miles, D/H pay, backhaul pay, and delay pay.
It goes like this... i make .32 cents a mile... i work a 6/2 sched.. The best week i've ever had was 2200 with two back hauls and a total of 10 stops... That bad boy after taxes came out to be 645 dollars after taxes... YES!!!

Now here's the break down, $15 dollars a stop if the truck has an muti stop load and $30 for a backhaul.. so there's a possibilty you could make 75 dollars extra on a load with four stops and a backhaul but its rare.. well at least for me... i run harder than most guys in most days putting in 12/13 hour days... But those Wal-Mart guys are making gravy compared to what i'm making... and some times you can get ****ed with a 150 mile run with an appt. after your last stop so thats holding your to only 150 so miles that day.. Not to mention you could slot for a 2 p.m. load and end up getting a load that leaves at 11 P.M..
So with your being sleepy and tired from being up that could affect your mileage also...
And yes D/H miles we do get from the last store going back to the DC Empty or from the Last store to the Backhaul site...
Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post

Let's see $500.00 for a full week in a JB Hunt hot-box......7 days x 24 hours= 168 hours of your time given to JB Hunt for that $500.00
= $2.97 per hour that you are gone from your home/family living in a truck.

My friend the McDonalds full time Breakfast employee. Works 4AM to 2PM, Monday thru Saturday at $8.00 per hour............
40 x $8.00 hour = $320.00
20 x $12.00 hour = $240.00
Total = $560.00 per week gross.
So, in essence 168 hours in one week for JB Hunt = $2.97 per hour.

If my friend were to give MickeyDs 168 hours of his life in a week, the break down would look close to:

40 hours @ $8.00 hour = $320.00
128 hours @ $12.00 = $1536.00
= $1856.00 gross for the week. Divided by 168 hours =
$11.05 an hour at MickeyDs!!!
as opposed to the $2.97 an hour JB Hunt stipend.

Working more to make less makes no sense. Need I say more?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
It goes like this... i make .32 cents a mile... i work a 6/2 sched.. The best week i've ever had was 2200 with two back hauls and a total of 10 stops... That bad boy after taxes came out to be 645 dollars after taxes... YES!!!

Now here's the break down, $15 dollars a stop if the truck has an muti stop load and $30 for a backhaul.. so there's a possibilty you could make 75 dollars extra on a load with four stops and a backhaul but its rare.. well at least for me... i run harder than most guys in most days putting in 12/13 hour days... But those Wal-Mart guys are making gravy compared to what i'm making... and some times you can get ****ed with a 150 mile run with an appt. after your last stop so thats holding your to only 150 so miles that day.. Not to mention you could slot for a 2 p.m. load and end up getting a load that leaves at 11 P.M..
So with your being sleepy and tired from being up that could affect your mileage also...
And yes D/H miles we do get from the last store going back to the DC Empty or from the Last store to the Backhaul site...
Walmart Grocery divsion for SNI I see. What I was talking about was Walmart DC loads. GM.

Honestly, I always thought SNI paid decent on that account. From what some of the drivers have said.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
So, in essence 168 hours in one week for JB Hunt = $2.97 per hour.

If my friend were to give MickeyDs 168 hours of his life in a week, the break down would look close to:

40 hours @ $8.00 hour = $320.00
128 hours @ $12.00 = $1536.00
= $1856.00 gross for the week. Divided by 168 hours =
$11.05 an hour at MickeyDs!!!
as opposed to the $2.97 an hour JB Hunt stipend.

Working more to make less makes no sense. Need I say more?
Now explain this. If everyone worked for McD's, BK, Wendy's, just how do suppose they would get the product needed to run the business so your friend could make that high dollar money.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Board Regular

what belpre does not add in is that those people at mikey d's actually have to work!!!! all i do is stare out the window, jam to some turns and visit with all my friends on the cb radio. seems to be easy money to me. alot better that having pimples from getting slattered with grease and dealing with bitch ass people because the wanted extra pickle, and you only put on one extra pickle. i think we got it better.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

01-01-2008, 01:59 AM
YoungZ.W.
Board Regular

That's like companies that dance around the pay per mile question with answers like you could earn this much in a year ,But don't want to show the pay scale that allegedly creates that yearly income, Because it's only like .26 CPM and not going to go up much for years and years ,And .26 cPM at 100k is only 26k not 45k ...And I don't care how eager you are to run freight you're not going to make 45k at .26 cpm as a solo driver as it would require about 185k miles a year

Yeah, your right on that big jeep. After talking to drivers at some companies and asking what their weekley mileage is it doesn't come close to what the recruiters have told me. I looked into a dedicated account for schneider pulling for Wal-mart here in Ohio. The recruiter said I would easily make $35,000 my first year. So, I go over to pumpkindriver.com to get the real deal. They all confirmed that the pay is no where close to what she told me. They start you out a .28 per mile and that account averages 1400-1800 miles per week plus your stop pay. One schneider driver I meet at truck stop that was working on it said he made more money delivering pizzas then driving on that account. It seems as though recruiters in general well say anything anymore just to get a driver in the door. When it comes to finding out about a company the only source I trust is fellow drivers. Well, not all recruiters but most of the recruiters for the large carriers anyway