User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How would they know you are running an inverter?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
How would they know you are running an inverter?

Well One way:

Your truck is in the shop in North Liberty( corporate headquarters )--

Example: Russ- the owner came out to the shop and climbed in my truck and two others and went through our personal luggage, clothing, bags, etc looking for "anything" I guess--- then he asked/told/ordered a mechanic to "pull the idle time on Unit XXXXX", not my unit but someone elses-- I suspect, he found something he didn't like in that man's truck-- then he wanted to know if the guy was wasting HIS fuel or not... the deciding factor as to "giving the guy the boot"..... but that's just speculation....

but having the owner search your personal effects in your sleeper would be disagreeable to many drivers.... but it happens at Heartland.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Board Regular

while it may be their right to do that stuff, it sure isn't a good way to build trust.
treating your employess like suspects is a great way to drive off the good people.
what i like about driving a truck is that as long as i do my job, they leave me alone. if they start tossing my truck for no apparent reason, that's when i start dusting off the resume. I prefer to work for a company that doesn't hire people that need watching.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Does anyone know the address for the terminal in Atlanta? I wanted to look at it on Google maps, maybe even a street view, but I can't find it on Heartland's website. The address Yellow Pages gives me is for a Family Dollar in a residential neighborhood. I doubt that is the terminal very much. The road its on though has a good sized Petro right off the interstate. It may be the right exit, but not the right address.

Thanks guys. I'm getting ready to pack up. Leaving tomorrow about 1 PM for ATL.

I haven't heard from anyone else on this board or others who are going for orientation this week, either. If you are, let me know. Maybe I'll make a few new friends while there.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
Example: Russ- the owner came out to the shop and climbed in my truck and two others and went through our personal luggage, clothing, bags, etc looking for "anything" I guess--- then he asked/told/ordered a mechanic to "pull the idle time on Unit XXXXX", not my unit but someone elses-- I suspect, he found something he didn't like in that man's truck-- then he wanted to know if the guy was wasting HIS fuel or not... the deciding factor as to "giving the guy the boot"..... but that's just speculation....
WOW to this paragraph........
Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 PM

My theory on the truck-checking thing is this- its their truck, they have a right to search it. My parents weren't on this new-fangled "kids need their personal space" idea. They would check my stuff and my room if I gave them a reason, but they never did.

As long as you're not doing or hiding anything wrong, it shouldn't be a problem. Its not for me. Some people don't look at it this way, but I do. As long as they own the truck, they have a right to look in it. If they find something I shouldn't have (drugs, alcohol, company-banned items) then they might have just saved themselves a lot of money by firing me.

Most guys scoff at the "no-inverter" policies of many large companies, but I've seen trucks that have burnt down when an inverter isn't used correctly. A lot of the danger could be resolved if the company would just put the inverter in themselves (or factory-order them), but they aren't going to spend the extra money.

I think more companies ought to be getting APU's on their trucks. That would keep the driver more comfortable, kill the idle time to '0' and with the Carrier APU I had, it had a 120v plug right in the sleeper. The APU had to be running, but thats when you need the inverter in the first place, isn't it?

I'm not worried about most of the policies I've heard of so far. I go into a company looking at it like I'm borrowing a truck to drive. If you look at it that way, its easier to remember why they want the idle down, no inverters, etc. I'm not saying I have to be HAPPY about it, but I understand WHY they do it.

Getting stuff packed up now. Looking forward to the Greydog ride tomorrow!

Still looking for the address to the Atlanta yard. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Rookie
Default Heartland address in Atlanta

Getting stuff packed up now. Looking forward to the Greydog ride tomorrow!
Still looking for the address to the Atlanta yard. Thanks!

Here you go. The 3350 Bankhead Hwy NW address was confirmed by calling the Phone # listed on google maps. You really gotta love google maps!! Best of luck.

Baldy.

heartland express atlanta ga - Google Maps

Heartland Express Inc‎ - more info »
3350 Bankhead Hwy NW, Atlanta, GA‎ - (404) 696-0834‎
exit 12 off I-285

to: 232 Forsyth St SW, Atlanta, GA 30303 - Google Maps

Greyhound
232 Forsyth St SW, Atlanta, GA 30303
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
while it may be their right to do that stuff, it sure isn't a good way to build trust.
treating your employess like suspects is a great way to drive off the good people.
what i like about driving a truck is that as long as i do my job, they leave me alone. if they start tossing my truck for no apparent reason, that's when i start dusting off the resume. I prefer to work for a company that doesn't hire people that need watching.
Amen to that- I started right out of school with Superior Carriers pulling a tank, though they do have their problems with some drivers, they are give atleast 3-4 chances before they are let go. That doesn't account for laying one over or some real obvious F.U. One of the best parts about this company is they have never questioned anything I have done, checked my truck, gear or personal effects. They ask me if I have everything I need, and the mechanic assisted me in hooking up my inverter. Have you thought of pulling a tank their baldy, though you will need your HazMat and start at 41.5/mile. BOL to ya
Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Default good luck,NOT!!!

boy pa for somebody that doesn,t even work there yet,you act and sound as if russ wanted your first born you would give it to him and tell him your parents didn't raise you to be greedy!! can't wait for the post's in the future when you QUIT because it wasn't what you were promised,that's if you'll eat crow and admit it.worked there myself years ago for nine months, the longest in my orientation class,their trucks were so stripped down that the floor gave my wife's feet blisters from the heat because the padding under the rubber floor was not there!! oh ya,go ahaed and not care if you are home tue or wed,you will find out in orientation that if you are home on a wed,they keep enough money out of your check to go recover the truck from your house if you quit,you will get it back on the next check,but you will be making Soooo much money that will be quite alright,RIGHT??? good luck at heartless express.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:18 AM

Thank you for that enlightened, educated post there ELGAUL. You really have a way with words... But apparently not with the 'shift' or 'enter' keys.

Listen, I have no allusions about Heartland. For them to live up to what they promised, it would not have to be much. My recruiter didn't tell me I'd be running 4000 miles a week or that I'd be spending every night in my bed. He was honest, believe it or not. Didn't sugar coat a single thing. You probably can't believe anyone could be honest in a trucking company, could you? I don't have to explain myself to you.

You're right, I might get mad a quit, but I've never done that in the past. Things have gotten bad at past jobs, but I don't just up and quit, I find something else to do first. I already said I was going to do everything in my power to make it work, and it was in their court. What does that mean there elgaul? That means if it doesn't work- IT WILL BE THEIR FAULT!

As for the searching truck thing... I never said I liked it, I said I understood it. Every company you work for, somewhere in the paperwork you sign will have a truck search policy. I guarantee it. They may never, ever, ever use it, but its there just in case. They have to cover their butts, too. Even if they don't search the truck, the DOT can anytime and you can't do squat, even if you own it.

Also, if you read real, real careful you will see I don't plan on being at Heartland the rest of my life. My recruiter knows this, and so will my dispatcher. I am going back to college to be a Pastor. Driving a truck is fine (my dad has done it for 25 years), but I don't want to do it the rest of my life. The job I have now (security) I was lucky to bring home $600 every two weeks, so yeah, Heartland is going to be a step up in pay. I'm taking a semester off so I can pay off last semester, pay down some bills, and hopefully save a little money in the process. I looked at all the companies around here (with my qualifications) and Heartland was the best choice. I talked to drivers (some of whom I've known a long time), I've looked at all the posts on all the message boards, I did my research.

Bottom line is this: they didn't work for you and they may not work for me. Thats as honest as I can be. But on the flip side, I don't hijack a guys post so I can say 'good luck, NOT!!' like a moron, so maybe I will have a better attitude going into this than you will. And maybe, just maybe, I'll do o.k. Might not, but right now I'm sitting at a 50/50 shot.

Baldy-- Thanks for the address. I looked it up on Yellow Pages and the address and number were wrong. Thats just great, ain't it? I think my motel is somewhere close to the terminal, but Headborg would know better than I. I know I got a cab companies # and an account # to get a cab from the Greyhound terminal to the motel. Never rode in a cab before... Could be interesting I guess. But, I'm also 24 and have never been in an airplane or helicopter in my life either... I'm from a small, small town in IL.

Just for the record, I wish all of you luck, in whatever you are doing. Including you ELGAUL. I hope you all have a wonderful day. I'm going to do my best to make sure mine is!