Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

$143k in 8 months, he's well on pace.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Superior is a good company. Look for a dedicated fleet if not with Superior with someone else. usually steady work, decent pay and no tank washes.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammonman
Superior is a good company. Look for a dedicated fleet if not with Superior with someone else. usually steady work, decent pay and no tank washes.
Cyanide's terminal is 30 miles from my Michigan place. I've got a PM out to him BUT NO REPLY YET! :x

I know nothing is automatic, though. Paul McGraw was with them and then they hired a bunch of guys onto his terminal and he couldn't get enough work. I've also heard something about them going to mileage pay, I don't know if that' true or not.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Board Regular

Cam, check out Heniff.

As far as I know we at Superior are not going to mileage pay. The system here pays well you just have to learn how to make it work for you, takes a couple of months depending on how aggressive you are about your business. I am under load right now with a 2276 mile (practical) load paying me 3.04 loaded with the FSC.

If you want to stay more southern then you need to talk to Millers. Nothing pays better than tanks you just have to get away from that company you are with.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Cam...

Like I said earlier in my p.m. to you a couple weeks ago, we are not going to strictly mileage pay, that's pretty much your call when you hire on here. If you were to run out of Westville, you're one, going to be at an all-I/C terminal and two, going to have the opportunity to be home frequently (though that commute may be a little far everyday!). Also, you're predominately going to run shorter trips in the 250-mile and under range. These (several are listed below) pay pretty decent even before the FSC you'll get. Now concerning FSC, this is one thing that has changed recently in the last couple of months. If you do what is considered a "normal" system load, you will be paid as most other O/O's in the industry; that being a set %. If you get a true "dedicated rate" load, you'll be paid a higher fixed rate that is adjusted accordingly to current fuel prices (much like normal FSC). For example, take the run I normally did to Huntsville, Alabama (560 paid loaded miles, 560 paid empty miles, 1,120 total miles out-and-back).....

A classified "system" load there has a base gross rate of $1509, and last time I ran one of these I received a 35% FSC for $528.15 (works out to .943/loaded mile FSC, and .471/all miles for the round-trip). So for the typical driver on percentage this run would've paid $1463.73 total, whereas me having been on mileage pay I would've gotten $1541.99 total.

Now compare that same load but tagged "dedicated" as last I ran it, and it now has a base gross rate of $2,039 and an FSC of $1.29/loaded mile at the time ($722.40). The percentage driver would make $1,986.58 total, whereas me having been mileage pay I would have gotten 1,775.20 total.

As for Paul's situation when he was here, he (or any other I/C here) could've transferred terminals if necessary in order to get the work/income he needed. I don't know his personal business nor do I care to, but had I been in his shoes I would've transferred as soon as the mass influx of drivers occurred. I'm a firm believer in making waves if need be in order to accomplish the mission and meet my goals!

These runs below are listed with the rates applicable to them from back in Jan. 2008. These rates are what's actually paid to the truck and before the FSC. All runs originate from Valparaiso, IN and end at Westville, IN after unloading in the respective consignee's city...

-Valparaiso, IN to Plymouth, IN, then back to Westville, IN: $276 revenue before FSC @ 81 miles round-trip equals $3.407/mile.

-To Rochester, IN and back: $306 @ 130 miles equals $2.353/mile.

-To Goshen, IN and back: $309 @ 158 miles equals $1.955/mile.

-To West Chicago, IL and back: $337 @ 184 miles equals $1.831/mile.

-To Channahon, IL and back: $257 @ 146 miles equals $1.76/mile.

-To Grabill, IN and back: $388 @ 235 miles equals $1.65/mile.

:wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammonman
no offence,but dedicated usually never pays as good as system work.One exception is herbicide work(dedicated) it pays better than anything hands down.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member

There he is! What do you say, Cyanide!

$1541.99/1120= $1.38/mi

$1775.20/1120= $1.58/mi

Well, that's definitely what I'm trying to get away from :wink: But, that's not what I'd be doing if I signed on there.

Those shorthaul loads might be alright, it depends somewhat on the fsc. By the time you load, drive the two lanes and unload, it's probably about one a day, is that right?

It's tempting to work out of a terminal so close to the house. Right now, however, I'm trying to get out to Kansas City- oh, actually, I never know where I want to be! I really need to be able to go from KCMO to NC. Getting to the house is actually secondary for me.

Well, I appreciate you answering. I did get one more PM, a vote of confidence for LTC. I guess we'll see.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
Cam, check out Heniff.

As far as I know we at Superior are not going to mileage pay. The system here pays well you just have to learn how to make it work for you, takes a couple of months depending on how aggressive you are about your business. I am under load right now with a 2276 mile (practical) load paying me 3.04 loaded with the FSC.

If you want to stay more southern then you need to talk to Millers. Nothing pays better than tanks you just have to get away from that company you are with.
$3.04 x 2276 = righteous! 8)

You're saying Superior is very good, Miller is south, and check out Heniff, huh? I tell you what, if there are too many good jobs to check out, I'll take that problem anyday! Crap, this is what I was looking for after being off work for 3 months due to a bad ticket (that got dismissed...) I've messed around for about four months here, burned up that primo summertime driving opportunity, and I'm looking at the job changeover again- I could have had it all the first time...if I hadn't believed...a lie!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Like we spoke of before on the phone a few months back...

You can still run out of Westville and do system loads, without having the high deadhead miles that I did running the dedicated stuff. Concerning those shorter runs, yes, most are one a day but there's entirely too many for me to list on here that pay in the same neighborhood as those listed (I picked the ones that I knew about at the time). One day you could be going to Ohio, the next Minnesota, the next Pennsylvania etc. Anyway, point is the guys out of Westville enjoy being home often while making good money. Don't forget also that those figures I gave you were all at 50% loaded/empty miles. Obviously if you run the system here you'll make more, just as Mike, Maniac, and Stan do. You just need to be with the right company! Hope things will work out for you this next time around regardless of who you go with. :wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 09-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
Like we spoke of before on the phone a few months back...

You can still run out of Westville and do system loads, without having the high deadhead miles that I did running the dedicated stuff. Concerning those shorter runs, yes, most are one a day but there's entirely too many for me to list on here that pay in the same neighborhood as those listed (I picked the ones that I knew about at the time). One day you could be going to Ohio, the next Minnesota, the next Pennsylvania etc. Anyway, point is the guys out of Westville enjoy being home often while making good money. Don't forget also that those figures I gave you were all at 50% loaded/empty miles. Obviously if you run the system here you'll make more, just as Mike, Maniac, and Stan do. You just need to be with the right company! Hope things will work out for you this next time around regardless of who you go with. :wink:
Thanks Cyanide. I'm on my second week off now, I can't wait to get back to hauling freight (more specifically, living in the black instead of the red). The easiest thing was to walk into the LTC terminal here in KC. It's where I want to be and it's just a great facility for someone like me who has no wife or kids to get back to but just wants to take a break and then go make some more money. I'm getting mixed reviews on going into LTCs system, though, so it's not an easy decision (plus, they'll take a week or two to go over my app).

In the meantime, there's a little Slay franchise right here, and I spent a couple hours talking to one of their drivers and the 'franchise' owner and terminal manager. They definitely need O/Os and it was very personal, I guess we'll just see.

Westville DOES have appeal to it, with my house, my mom and my siblings just 40 miles to the north. Decision time. Thanks a lot for the help.

If that $1.58 would basically be a minimum, and half those miles are MT (running light), less time spent at tank washes, waiting around... That would be a good way to make money.