User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR9501
after going thru orientation, do u get to choose which account u want?...or do they just stick u in on and say have fun?
no way could i possibly put up with a 62mph truck...snoooreeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!...lol
Well they will not hire you if they dont have a new account lined up, ready to start soon, or an opening on an existing account, so you WILL know what JOB you are going to an interview for. They only hire if they have an opening, so I'm sure it will be discussed what that opening is.

Quote:
no way could i possibly put up with a 62mph truck...snoooreeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
It's slightly annoying at times, but overall you get used to it, and not to brag, but if you made the money I make, then you put up with it and smile all the way to the bank. I'm not going to complain about a few MPH difference when I get home every single night, weekends off, and still make more than many many OTR drivers.

If truck speed is the deciding factor in if you take a job or not, then you should probably just go work for a gypsy outfit that will let you run 95mph, but pay you $400/week. At Ryder, an attitude like that will just carry onto other employees and management that will get sick and tired of hearing piss-n-moans real quick and will end up making you a black sheep that they will just be waiting for you to give them a few excuses so they can "cure their cancer".

Believe me, I share a truck with someone like this. It's just a matter of time until he gives them a reason to release him.

A good attitude and good work ethic will make you go far at Ryder.

Just out of curiosity, did you see that they were hiring in your area, or are you just looking into the company and putting a random application in? Where are you located?

Adapt and overcome.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM

i'm putting in random local applications, but havent decided if i want to go back otr yet...i'm also waiting for a copy of my DAC report to help make my desision for me...i have an idea, but not positive what it looks like...
it should be here in the mail any day now...
but i'm also waiting to see if i get aproved to go into the Port nearby, i am hoping to hear by friday,,,then i will work only local and come home everyday and make around a grand a week...
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you see that they were hiring in your area, or are you just looking into the company and putting a random application in? Where are you located?[/quote]

Yes they are hiring in my area jacksonville fl. What about the pay?/ thanks for all the info thus far. MIke
Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 PM

i Just looked they have like 12 local flatbed jobs, and 2 regional van w hazmat jobs? in my area
Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Board Regular

I don't know what area of the country you work in for Ryder, but in Southern California, policy for all accounts was "5 on-2 off"...(Santa Fe Springs). Ryders maintenance was very good and I don't recall any service managers "kissing anyone's ass"...they just fixed any problems. You have been with them since April...I was with them for 7 years. Sure the loads and accounts are different, but you DO have a choice in what you do. I originally started on the Nissan Motors account. I did'nt care for the dealerships, so requested something else. Was transferred to Delphi the next week with no problems. The bottom line is, at Ryder YOU do have choices. If you pick a bad account and stay with it, then that is your issue. In Southern California, they still offer Kaiser and Delta Dental at a very low weekly cost for family coverage and the 401K was .50 for each dollar contributed. Never got screwed on payroll or benefits or being home which says a lot for Ryder. And if you leave on good terms you are always welcome to come back. Ryder is one of the better companies out there..
Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh my god. I cant take this ludacris anymore. Everyone wants to debate.

How the helll do you have an option of moving to a different account if there is nowhere to move to (IE. NO OPENINGS!)

Maybe I should have been more clearer for all the braintrusts.
SURREEEEEE YOU HAVE OPTIONS!! Just hope they have openings in another account.

Theres my info. Run with it or toss it in the can.
Dont make a damn of difference to me.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Ryder has good and bad like the other guy has been saying I do work for them off and on but I can work when I want to pretty much. I work for a driver staffing agency. Ive done a ryder acount where I have to push carts of oxegen weighing up to 800# pounds up driveways and into buildings. normaly I would refuse the job but was slower two months of year. Worked a Ryder acount for six weeks thru June.Paid for hotel and food per diem the whole time. it was the John Morrell in sioux falls south Dakota. No touch all lumpers paid for no questions asked. peice of cake. It was reffer job. And the fricken trucks were set at 62 miles per hr. a first for me. though I was past by a Ryder truck from another company doin 70. Any ways what Im about to tell you could apply to all truckers Ryder or whoever. After my first run down to Indy. IN from Sioux Falls,SD At 62 mph I got right on my computor to find A gadget to go around that governer issue thing, and in about five minutes. I found what I was looking for. But WARNING if your not a smart sensable driver it can make or break you.. Just remember 3 tickets and your out of the driver seat for a while. With that being said check out the Safety Pass Pro on your internet. just run safetypasspro .com this is to make your truck go faster than you governer setting. GOOD LUCK TO ALL. and like what they said pick and choose what the Hell you want. :lol: :roll:
Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 AM

Not sure bout ryder but our trucks are leased from penske and there set at 70-75. Other companies leasing penske trucks are set in the 60's. I think it depends on the company itself as to how fast the trucks go. 70s my limit here in jersey its just on the cusp of causing problems and getting ran over by the hustle n bustle of the east.. If u get in good with ur area mechanic he can turn it up a few for ya. or hook up a safety pass pro and turn it up urself.Not sure bout ryder but penske wont fix anything unless u complain for months.

Last edited by INKTOXICATED; 11-09-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Rookie

I've been with Ryder Integrated for almost 5 years. They have been a great company to work for. There is a pretty wide pay range, depending on which account you are on. My regular account is a day work flatbed job for a steel company and it pays well. Benefits are better than most. Insurance is reasonable, two weeks vacation to start (can start taking after 90 days) and I'll pick up another week the first of the year for 5 years service. Some accounts don't pay that great but once you get in the company, you can easily bid on other openings as they come up. The trucks are slow (62-63 mph) but they are pretty well maintained. Ryder is VERY big on safety and compliance. If you are not, it's not the place for you. It's a large international corporation but the local and regional managers have always gone out of their way to treat me / us well. If you do a good job at Ryder, they will be good to you. Never heard of the 5 on, 2 off thing around here. I worked 6 nights a week when I started.

Last edited by RRaccoon; 12-14-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member