User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Can anybody tell me anything about Werner? I have read some bad things about them but you can't believe everything you read. So i thought i would ask you guys. Also, can you tell me about Schnieder as well

I am supposed to start working at Werner Enterprises very soon.It will start with the training.
I am getting worried some people on the internet say this company is suck.
I got the CDL A last week. I don't have any experience, but Wener said, no problem.

Wikipedia says Werner's turnover rate is 300% per year. What a number!!!!

If you, your friends,or anyone you know have worked at this company before, I'd like you to share the story.

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Scoe; 12-05-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Werner Enterprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMERJAMMER
Can anybody tell me anything about Werner? I have read some bad things about them but you can't believe everything you read.
When it comes to Werner, yes, you can believe all the bad things you read. The same holds true for CR England.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Rookie

Thanks Rev. I guess i will have to move on then.....Know anything about Schneider? I am trying to go with a company that will provide traning but i have seen that lots of folks have had some bad experiences. I really don't want to be another statistic.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMERJAMMER
Thanks Rev. I guess i will have to move on then.....Know anything about Schneider? I am trying to go with a company that will provide traning but i have seen that lots of folks have had some bad experiences. I really don't want to be another statistic.
Go to http://www.pumpkindriver.com/ and ask what theyuns feels about schneider.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Rookie

I just quit 3 weeks ago. I worked there for 10 months. My last paycheck says 17,366 gross made for the year.

say no to big blue
Old 09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

7 months pay at werner = 2 months pay at swift

truck almost always in shop - most common problem a/c and horn not working. 3+ hour on hold on with breakdown routinely. hardly ever home when i requested.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Werner dose pay pretty low but they arent as bad as some will have you to belive get 1yr experince and move on to a better gig
Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Rookie

I'll give you my experience in a nutshell (if I can type...it's taken me forever just to get this line done with no typos!)

I trucked OTR for 8+ years, took 3+ off. SNI told me as long as I had a year in the last five and could pass a road test, they'd bring me in as an experienced driver. I did, I did, and I went.

Been there a year as of this past Friday (9/12).

I am NOT what one would call a particularly hard runner. They want you to be safe and legal, and I am. I took a week off in March, and three weeks off in August (both unpaid, my choice...both family functions that were planned far in advance). I grossed in the low 40s for the first 12 months (or actually 11, if you consider my time off). I stayed out either two or three weeks at a time. I've run both ways, pacing myself so as to never run out of hours while I'm out, and I've run hard and taken a 34-hour-restart during my travels. If I'm out three weeks, I like a 34 in the midst of it. For two weeks, I don't care...I just see how my hours go. I also take my tractor home, saving me about a hundred bucks a month in gas commuting in my very non-economical Jeep. They usually get me home on time, but I've had to, shall we say, debate with support shift once or twice when it looked like I wasn't going to make it (my kids live away from me, and the weekends that I have them I have to be home on time...otherwise, I'm pretty flexible).

They required me to do a sleep study. Thank God they did. I probably hadn't slept well in 20 years. I now use a CPAP, and can't begin to tell you how much better I feel. It will become mine with nothing owed as of Oct. 15, when I hit one year of usage.

Their operating centers are for the most part very nice...good place to crash (figuratively!), shower, and eat. Trucks are average in terms of equipment, but slow (that doesn't particularly bother me, though...I'm pretty conservative anyway). The people on my board are terrific, but I'm now on my third load planner in a year. Pretty fair amount of drop and hook, but you hit streaks of live loads/unloads (coming off one of those weeks now).

Minuses: pretty much the standard things you hear most anywhere...weekend/after 5 PM support shift is of little value. Long wait times in some shops for PMs and the like. Some micromanagement. But they stress "safe and legal". I like it that way.

Overall, I've been pleased. Others would disagree. But the key is get your year in, then find a place that works for you. Every company is right for some, no matter who they are. Even (ahem) CRE and Werner, much as I hate to admit it!

Best of luck!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug
Werner dose pay pretty low but they arent as bad as some will have you to belive get 1yr experince and move on to a better gig
I agree with this statement, and Ill add my 2cents. (Ive been with Werner over 6yrs)
Werners pay scale is quite abit behind the rest of the industry. Especially OTR 48 state drivers.
Driving for Werner is as good or as bad as YOU make it.
Werner or any other carrier is not going to hand you anything "on a silver platter".
With enough persistance you can actually find a pretty good "niche" within Werner that can be lucrative. But...it does take some persistance and talking with other Werner drivers as you encounter them.
Werner is not necessarily a bad place to "cut your teeth" then move on to a different carrier after you get some experience.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug
I agree with this statement, and Ill add my 2cents. (Ive been with Werner over 6yrs)
Werners pay scale is quite abit behind the rest of the industry. Especially OTR 48 state drivers.
Driving for Werner is as good or as bad as YOU make it.
Werner or any other carrier is not going to hand you anything "on a silver platter".
With enough persistance you can actually find a pretty good "niche" within Werner that can be lucrative. But...it does take some persistance and talking with other Werner drivers as you encounter them.
Werner is not necessarily a bad place to "cut your teeth" then move on to a different carrier after you get some experience.
What keeps you there if you agree with the pay statement? With your experiance you could seemingly do much better?!