User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
call me stupid, but i have turned down trucking companies because of their all auto fleets... sorry, have you guys ever heard a jake brake on an automatic 379 pete before?? i want to cry?? sad!!
If someone has an automatic in a 379 Pete, the engine brake will sound EXACTLY the same...
Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Us Xpress = Have to have 6 months experience to work with them though.

Interstate (green trucks you mentioned before). Not sure how many months of experience you need though.

P.A.M Transport = Hiring only East of the rockies.

W-H Transport = Hiring east of the rockies and in WI.

D.O.T foods = seemed to have auto's from what I've read about, don't quote me on that or anything.

Summit Trucking = runs auto shift. But I don't think they hire in the western states.

I've noticed, that most of the autoshift trucking companies are East of the rockies.

I stick with my 10 speed, but when times changed, an automantic could come in handy. There's things called the Ultra shift, which is manual/auto. I think you can go manual with a push of a button or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hope that helps? =P
Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Board Regular

I started on a 10 speed, but my current company has almost all auto-shifters. I thought i'd be all "autos are for wussies," but i guess it turns out I'm a wussy. The big thing i really appreciate is the extra floor space.
I don't think i'd ever want to try a true automatic, but the autoshifter works pretty good. sometimes i manually shift so as to get thru the gears quicker, especially while bobtailing.
i have partook of the auto-shifting kool-aid, and it is good.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:07 PM

I work security at a Freightliner dealer right now (long story, starting with Heartland express in December). I drove an auto shift for a few days at the last company I was at. I hated it. When you were backing up you had to keep pressure on the accelerator or it would start free-wheeling and you could end up going forward. Thats not a good thing. Thats just my personal preference though.

Here's why you shouldn't like them. You wouldn't believe how many auto's they bring in on a hook at out Freightliner dealer. Lots and lots. Skyline Transport out of Nashville, TN has all auto-shift. They brought 3 in on hooks either Thursday or Friday night. Thats just one company (and I'm only there at night). Pretty bad when you've got that many problems. Might I add they weren't the only ones brought in with that problem, just all from that company. Problem is, they might work great on flat land or light loads. You get a fairly heavy load and then throw it in the hills down here, they get stuck in gear. A lot of times you can hit the drive shaft with a hammer and the shifter will work again, but it won't last maybe 5-10 miles. After it happens once, you better take it to the nearest shop. You might say this is a bunch of bull, but I see this happen every night. They are making a killing off of warranty auto-shift work.

Do what you want, but they've used the manuals since vehicles came out. I think they've got the bugs worked out pretty good...