User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie here!!!!!

I am a Newbie and need to pick one of these companies. I have my choice from two companies. I can either go with Swift or Warner? Which company would you pick? I live in Washington State and would like to get home at least twice a month if that is possible and I would like a company that I can leave with for at least a year.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Default Re: Newbie here!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey2007
I am a Newbie and need to pick one of these companies. I have my choice from two companies. I can either go with Swift or Warner? Which company would you pick? I live in Washington State and would like to get home at least twice a month if that is possible and I would like a company that I can leave with for at least a year.
swift or werner? Thats like asking would you rather be stabbed or shot. Id look into a co. called interstate dist co since ur in wash.BOL
Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Board Regular

I take it you meant Swift or wErner?

With all due respect (none) to the Marten Driver, I trained with and have been with Swift about four and a half years.

I had two very good - not perfect - trainers and spent about 75% of my 6 training weeks pulling Northwest Heavy Haul. I can say with complete confidence that there is no better training, period, than NWHH. You will learn how to drive a truck. You'll learn how your truck is going to react in a whole bunch of situations you'd be a lot less likely to encounter elsewhere in the country. With that kind of training you can take a truck just about anywhere with a lot more confidence.

That said, if you choose to stay with NWHH, you'd get home at least weekly or at least as often as you'd care to. If you choose OTR, like me, it would more or less depend on how far you were willing to wander. I like going coast to coast and corner to corner. You need to understand that freight moves the truck. You could get a load to the East coast that takes 5 days and then spend 2 weeks (or more) trying to get back.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 AM

How much exp. do you have. I'm starting with marten transport and they have been very honest with me and if the person i was on the phone with didnt have the answer they would get back to me the same day. I'm starting orientation tomorrow morning and i'm relaxing for now lol at the hotel room that they pay for and they are paying for 2 meals a day and all i do is pay for dinner which is good enough for me. I know i cant toot my horn too much till i get assigned a truck but i think they are a good company and no company is perfect and nor is any driver. Best of luck too you and do some research too, talk to the drivers of the company you would like to drive for.

Later
Byron
Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Rookie

I think that I will give Marten a call and see what they have to offer. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you talked to Gordon Trucking (GTI).
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Board Regular

that's like asking ointment or suppository

Lol
Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
I take it you meant Swift or wErner?

With all due respect (none) to the Marten Driver, I trained with and have been with Swift about four and a half years.

I had two very good - not perfect - trainers and spent about 75% of my 6 training weeks pulling Northwest Heavy Haul. I can say with complete confidence that there is no better training, period, than NWHH. You will learn how to drive a truck. You'll learn how your truck is going to react in a whole bunch of situations you'd be a lot less likely to encounter elsewhere in the country. With that kind of training you can take a truck just about anywhere with a lot more confidence.

That said, if you choose to stay with NWHH, you'd get home at least weekly or at least as often as you'd care to. If you choose OTR, like me, it would more or less depend on how far you were willing to wander. I like going coast to coast and corner to corner. You need to understand that freight moves the truck. You could get a load to the East coast that takes 5 days and then spend 2 weeks (or more) trying to get back.
Please I could care les if you show respect to me on this forum.Swift speaks for itself,if you dont like my opinion to f'n bad.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Rookie

Well the best bet is to ask drivers from both companies. At a truck stop most will be up front and say what they don’t like or do like about the company. I have been with swift going on 4 years this Nov. the problem asking some one on a here is that about 75% to 80% of the people that bash swift on here or other forums never drove for them. I use to live In Tacoma, Wa , but I moved to Gulfport, ms. I am on a dedicated account with Swift I haul containers from the ports of Gulfport and New Orleans I get .38 a mile get any where from 3000 miles to 3500ish a week and I get home on weekends and depending on the load I get to sleep at the house 1 to 2 nights during the week. Swift has been getting there butt in gear the company is making a lot of strides for the better.

UTURN2001 sig says it all and it boils down to that
Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

Please I could care les if you show respect to me on this forum.Swift speaks for itself,if you dont like my opinion to f'n bad.[/quote]

It isn't that I don't like your opinion; I like all opinions. It's that there is no basis for yours while there is a strong history for mine. You tried to help the OP with conjecture and I tried to help with the facts.