User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Good Tanker Jobs in Memphis???

Hey guys I am wondering what tanker companies here in the Memphis area would be considered top quality carriers? I am familiar with Skywalker and Cyanide's threads - actually, that is the reason I have decided to focus my career in this direction. You guys can also include the fuel haulers too, along with the other food grade and chemical companies. If there are any good dry bulk companies, dont forget to add them! I like the idea of being paid well for everything I do and not treated like a second class citizen by the shippers and dispatchers. I would appreciate any help you guys can give. 8) 8) 8)
Old 07-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

:wink: We (Superior Carriers) have a yard there, as does Transport Service Company, CTL, and Oakley for starters. Oh wait, you said top quality carriers; take CTL and Oakley off of that list then...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure of who else may be around there but there surely will be more.

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Board Regular

Yeah, I talked to the terminal manager there about 6 months ago Cyanide. Was a lady...can't remember her name, but I do remember that she was extremely helpful and she invited me to stop by anytime and check out the operation. I am well aware of Superior, but I thought I would check and see what else is in the area. I am kind of interested in seeing what kind of fuel jobs are in the area in case I decide to stay a lil more local. The lady at Superior did mention that they were a busy terminal and that the loads there were pretty diverse. I would like to hear a lil more about the Memphis terminal from a drivers perspective if any of you Superior guys have any info. Thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Miller Transporters and Ergon Trucking have terminals down on President Island. They both pay fairly decent. Ergon has more local work than does Miller. Miller is union.

http://www.millert.com/
http://www.ergontrucking.com/

Hammond Tanklines is on President Island as well...they are a food grade carrier...and I don't know anything about them.

Kenan has a terminal in Memphis, as does Dupre..they will be probably the best, as far as fuel hauling jobs go.

Several of the companies in the Memphis area are "Jobber's" meaning that they buy the fuel from one of the "Oil" companies, then sell and deliver it to the C-stores, witht their equipment. Of those..you will need to walk and talk.

Transwood Trucking has a termianl in the Memphis area. They do both chemical and fuel in the area.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Miller Transporters and Ergon Trucking have terminals down on President Island. They both pay fairly decent. Ergon has more local work than does Miller. Miller is union.

http://www.millert.com/
http://www.ergontrucking.com/

Hammond Tanklines is on President Island as well...they are a food grade carrier...and I don't know anything about them.

Kenan has a terminal in Memphis, as does Dupre..they will be probably the best, as far as fuel hauling jobs go.

Several of the companies in the Memphis area are "Jobber's" meaning that they buy the fuel from one of the "Oil" companies, then sell and deliver it to the C-stores, witht their equipment. Of those..you will need to walk and talk.

Transwood Trucking has a termianl in the Memphis area. They do both chemical and fuel in the area.
Great info Orangetxguy! I knew you would be familiar with tanker companies in this area. Appreciate the info!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Ham....If you have a decent background, the proper endorcements, and a good attitude....get with Dupre. I would list them at the top end of "non-oil" delivery companies.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Board Regular

Stan, I have an excellent background but I am still in the early stages of planning out my career choices once I get trained. I know I want nothing but tanker driving. Probably gonna have to pay my dues a lil bit, but I have no doubt I can work for the best eventually. I have been raised in this industry since day 1 and unfortunately I know too much about van, reefer, and flatbed trucking. It seems to me that tanking offers the best opportunities at the present time. I have actually done quite a bit of ride along flatbedding, but I could care less to fight tarps for any amount of money!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Rookie

my vote would be for miller as i am with miller, drive down on presidents island and drive around all the tanker companies in your area are there to see.wonderman
Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Rookie

I would suggest that you check and see if there is an air liquide close to you. I just started there and it seems to be an excellent company. Good pay and benefits.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
I would suggest that you check and see if there is an air liquide close to you. I just started there and it seems to be an excellent company. Good pay and benefits.
Have been wondering how your experience with Trimac worked out.