User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default AVOID WEST SIDE TRANSPORT

I just resigned with this company after 2 years.Most of the info posted on this sight about this company is true.I will say that most of the dispatchers and shop personnel are decent and honest people.My problems with this co were the inconsistent weeks,the hrs waiting on preplans after i was empty and the unfairness of the safety dept.I pulled a copy of my dac report and found out that they placed a non-preventable accident on my report for a cracked windshield that I recieved when a rock bounced off a concrete truck and cracked the windshield.I even gave the co the info from the concrete truck so they could follow up on this. I know they reported it as a non-preventable but I dont understand what the purpose of them doing this is.During the Christmas holidays they had 3 loaded trailers stolen from the Atlanta drop yard and i was dispatched from my home in south Ga to deliver one of the loads locally.When i got to the drop yard the trailer i was to deliver was gone.When i contacted safety about my dac report earlier this month the safety dir mentioned about the stolen trl.I asked him why he would mention me with this and was told that because i was the one who reported it stolen.This makes no sense to me.I really thought this was a decent co but it appears thet are not.I finally got a local job with a private carrier so i resigned and all i need to do is return their truck to Kingsport Tn whenever they get me a ld headed there.My opinion AVOID THIS CO.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
they placed a non-preventable accident on my report
So what is your problem with this? They are just saying that there was an incident which resulted in damage that was not your fault while the truck was in your possession. In a way be glad they did not tag you with a preventable, which they could have if you were following the other truck when this happened as they could have said you were following too close and they could have made it stick.

A non preventable incident does not amount to anything unless you wind up with several in a short period of time then it is going to start making people wonder what really is going on with you.

Quote:
the safety dir mentioned about the stolen trl.
What did he say that got you so riled up?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

I was there for 4 years-- Tim was always on my ass for something stupid- once called me at 8am- woke me up( I-29 Faucett, Mo) told me - he'd have to bring me in-- because so body called in on me that morning-- for running them off the road( I-44 south of St. Louis) they got the trailer number-

I asked him what the trailer number was---- then told the dumb ass to check the computer better-- I dropped that trailer in Tx the day before-- and had been on my 10hr break there in Faucett all night-- and wouldn't have answered the phone call--except I figured he wanted to bitch at me about the
"hard brake" data again-- I was gonnna tell him-- I'd circle the parking lot and give him Five more to worry about.

No, the staff there are ok-- it's the upper management/bean counters that are/were the problem.

Good luck to you ...where ever you are going.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Default West Side

You are pimped out to Lowes Home Improvement stores. You better like sitting a lot. Pay flat out sucked.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: West Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
You are pimped out to Lowes Home Improvement stores. You better like sitting a lot. Pay flat out sucked.
That's funny, I remember specifically- drop/hook at Lowes Stores & North Vernon, In--- sure double drop and hook at the stores-- but then again Lowes has the same arrangement with Crete too-- pull out empty and drop the loaded.

Yeah, the setting around waiting for them to remember who's been naughty & who's been nice-- who gets to eat next week and who gets to starve did suck- The pay was ok-- until they thought I'd love a .41 to .37 temporary
pay cut-- per "performance based pay"- just until you got your average back up--- i.e. while freight was hot & moving--. But I've heard they did away with that pay scheme-- and are playing a new game now.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Default West Side

I dont know about anybody else but I have never and will never kiss anyone's ass to get a load. I'm not a brown noser, and its impossible for me to be one. If they have something to keep me busy great. If they dont I'm gone. West Side was more concerned with keeping Lowes happy. I never got remotely close to the average they said I would. Just another run of the mill outfit using drivers while they can, then moving on to the next one. Definitely not a place to make a career by any stretch.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: West Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
I dont know about anybody else but I have never and will never kiss anyone's ass to get a load. I'm not a brown noser, and its impossible for me to be one. If they have something to keep me busy great. If they dont I'm gone. West Side was more concerned with keeping Lowes happy. I never got remotely close to the average they said I would. Just another run of the mill outfit using drivers while they can, then moving on to the next one. Definitely not a place to make a career by any stretch.
Yeah, but you and I are not Professionals-- we're truck drivers--- only professionals have careers-- we have dead end jobs that are truely "occupations" as they completely tie up our lives---

But, I tell you this-- because hind sight is 20/20--- a guy could do MUCH worse than Westside Transport. Much! The pay rate is in the .40's, the equipment is excellent-- well spec'd out, the freight( well ok- that went way down hill, unless you consider AFG glass good freight)-
The miles were average-- either that or I'm just too damn consistent from carrier to carrier 2500-3500 a week-- but very specific freight lanes.

If you don't live on one of their freight lanes- you're be screwed for miles and home time.

Paid orientation in which they also pay all your meals-- and don't restrict what page of the menu you can order off of.

The actually spend 20- 30 minutes time at the end of orientation-- going over exactly what accessorial pay-- and how much.

Paid pre-pass.
Free shirts every 3 months.
no opti-idle

Yeah, you could do much worse-- but maybe...just a little better-- but there's always trade off's.

Want to work for a huge company-- you're get treated like crap- but maybe be able to hide in the crowd and stay below the radar.

Work for a small company like Westside-- get less benefits, but much better treatment-- and there's no hiding the Tim Whitney--
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Rookie
Default a great company

I dont understand why eveyone is so upset about this company they do great. EVERY trucking company have flaws and you will search forever to find the perfect company, they do a great job keeps you busy and have all the benefits.