User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default looking at Maverick (flatbed div)

They are telling me 2200-2400 miles a week and home 48 weekends/year anyone currently driving for them please give me the lowdown.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Board Icon

That's 440-480 miles a day in a 5 day week since they say weekends home. It's possible but with all freight being real slow don't count on it unless you do their glass hauling(2 weeks out) or stay out 2 weeks at a time in the regular flatbed divison.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Rookie

I got a pre hire from them. They told me, since I live in Michigan, I could only do they glass hauling. And like you said, be out for two weeks. Training I believe is 1 month in North Carolina...
Old 06-07-2008, 02:32 AM

Maverick has flatbeds?
Just kidding

I don’t work for them but my take of their “home weekends” is you get 34 hours at home them you’re back on the clock, I used to park near a Maverick (or should I say he’d park by my truck) driver and he’d get in Saturday morning and be gone Sunday night, just enough time to mow the lawn and do his laundry.

I’d rather be out 2-3 weeks and take 3-4 days off in a row, but that’s me.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Board Regular

Yes you should get 2200-2400 miles most weeks. (I got 2800 this week)Yes a weekend is 34 hours at the most, get home late Friday or sometime Saturday and all loads on the trailer over the weekend must deliver by 1000 am on Monday so if it is 600 miles from the house to the consignee you dont get much home time that weekend. (last weekend left at 1100 am Sunday to go to Georgia) 48 weekends home per year sounds about right.

PM me for more specific questions if you have any.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Board Regular

I had a good laugh when I saw the orange trucks on their "for sale" lot.
but i suppose they've had them for 2 years, so they're probably ready to be sold.
for those of you who didn't know, Maverick bought out Schneider's glass flatbed division 2 years ago, equipment, drivers, and i think even a terminal in North Carolina.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Rookie
Default maverick

I drove for them and I was lucky to get 2000 a week im from michigan and it was also hell to get home. I tell you right now you dont have a clue what your getting into. They pay more for miles than vans but you will be spending a lot of hours between loading and unloading you basicly work 19 hours to get paid for 8 and your dirty and pissed off and tired most the time ( now thats livin). It woulda been a ok job if I didnt have a family and a wife and a motorcycle that I love to ride I coulda just drove forever and made steve williams rich while I ate fast food and pissed in a jug.
Trust me your in for a eye opening experience
Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by motozeke
I drove for them and I was lucky to get 2000 a week im from michigan and it was also hell to get home. I tell you right now you dont have a clue what your getting into. They pay more for miles than vans but you will be spending a lot of hours between loading and unloading you basicly work 19 hours to get paid for 8 and your dirty and pissed off and tired most the time ( now thats livin). It woulda been a ok job if I didnt have a family and a wife and a motorcycle that I love to ride I coulda just drove forever and made steve williams rich while I ate fast food and pissed in a jug.
motozeke...............who are you driving for now........???

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Rookie
Default Re: maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by motozeke

So who are you with ??? Were they the first company you drove for?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Everyone's experience is a little different I suppose, but when I worked for them they were the real deal. I don't know why some people have horrible experiences with a company while others have great ones. Just the nature of the beast in this industry I guess.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, 2200-2400 miles should be no problem at Maverick depending upon where you live. I know MI and TX might be a little different story from southern OH because they are right at the edge of the hiring area. Getting home and back out might be a little tougher there, I really don't know. What I do know is that I made really good money, drove a nearly brand new truck and was home every weekend for either two full days or close to two full days. 2500 miles/wk was rarely ever a problem, for me anyway. Like I said things may have changed, but when I was there the two biggest factors as to how much money you could make were: where you lived and how you planned your week. Honestly, the company had little to do with it, IMO.