User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hill Bros or Tyson?

Drivers,
Do any of you have experience with either of these companies? I'd like to hear from you all on what the day-to-day operations of these companies are like.
I hear a lot about "researching" companies to hire on with, but I've recently realized that I don't know how to do that. All I can find is the slick, publicity BS websites for the companies.
I'd like to hear from the people who face the snow, crazy dock people, and have to sit on the side of the road in a truck that's decided to quit. These folks know what I'm asking.
Thanks in advance.
Jewels
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Board Regular
Default On second thought...

These are probably too big, too. I just love their big, pretty trucks!
Nevermind. I'll just keep reading.
Jewels
Old 05-18-2008, 11:22 PM

Jewels,(if this is even a legit post) surely you are capable of clicking on the search icon at the top of the page and entering those 2 companies. You can do it if you try. I am rooting for you.Good luck!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 AM

Jewels, I currently drive for Hill Bros and have a friend who drove for Tyson last year. The two fleets are quite different -- Tyson uses the smaller Volvo 670 trucks while Hill uses the larger Volvo 780's (and some other models as well, like the KW T-600).

It is difficult summing up any company in a line or two. However, you might be interested in my blog at http://leasepurchasejournal.blogspot.com/ which gives something of a day-to-day view of what goes on, for me at least.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Board Regular
Default 5 seconds to meltdown...tick...tick...

Yes, it was a legitimate post. Your sarcasm wasn't necessary. I'm sure you're proud that you've mastered this site so well, eh?

To the poster who bothered to offer genuine help:
I will check the website listed. Thanks for that. It's the sort of information I was looking for.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Rookie

Well jewels I will be going thru orientation this Monday(June 2), so I will be happy to give you my insight on how it goes at Hill Brothers.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Default Re: On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsnTools
Jewels
Sorry Jewels, I didn't mean to offend your delicate psyche. I didn't think it was legit becauser of this inane post. If you would have just went with your FIRST post, I could have believed it. The sophmoric post(about the "Big ,Pretty trucks) made it look like it was coming from some Goober.I will certainly be the last to claim I am any computer expert. I just thought everyone knew about the search function. I guess I was wrong. You just crossed me up. Again no offense OR sarcasm intended. You just don't know about 1/2 the posts in here,They all ask the same thing. My apologies Maam !!! Good luck !!!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Default Re: On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeeater
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsnTools
Jewels
Sorry Jewels, I didn't mean to offend your delicate psyche. I didn't think it was legit becauser of this inane post. If you would have just went with your FIRST post, I could have believed it. The sophmoric post(about the "Big ,Pretty trucks) made it look like it was coming from some Goober.I will certainly be the last to claim I am any computer expert. I just thought everyone knew about the search function. I guess I was wrong. You just crossed me up. Again no offense OR sarcasm intended. You just don't know about 1/2 the posts in here,They all ask the same thing. My apologies Maam !!! Good luck !!!
Please get over yourself. Nobody likes a wannabe msg board hall monitor. Run along and tell people to move off the fuel islands or something.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Rookie

I will say if you want to hire on to a "real" company this is the place to go.

After they hired me, I never heard the word bus! They put me on a plane and flew me up to omaha. The hotel they use is nothing short of the best. I have never, in ten years, seen a company put their drivers up in such a nice place. They use the Comfort Inn & Suites, off 72nd in Omaha. All drivers get a private room which is huge. In the lobby they have a terrific restaurant & bar. The hotel serves a full hot breakfast each morning at 6:00am.

Orientation is a very long 4 1/2 days. But they do their best to break up the day to help. Unlike most places they don't give you a small plain tidbit for lunch, they actually take the entire class out to a different restaurant each day, and you get more than enough. Monday morning is the usual paperwork time. Then lunch, and after it's off to the doctor for your physical and drug screen. Tuesday is broken up between video's and more paperwork. I will say you will fill out more paperwork here than anywhere! On Wednesday you will meet people from all the different departments, including Pat Hill himself. Thursday you will finish up with what didn't get done on Thursday, then truck assignments and road tests. Then Friday you will get your first dispatch.

The trucks are incredible for a company trucks. They use Volvo 780's. They have the 81 inch studio sleepers. Built in norcold fridge/freezer, bottom bunk transforms into a table with two seats, more storage room then you can imagine, and Thermo King APU'S. Most of the drivers(incl myself) keep the table set up and just use the top bunk to sleep. The inside of the sleeper feels like your in a mini RV. The trucks are set at 68mph also.

My true opinion of Hill Brothers is it's a real at home family atmosphere, everyone makes an effort to learn your name and uses it, no numbers here!

Well I hope that helps, if you have any other questions just let me know and I will do my best to help you out.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnirenberg
everyone makes an effort to learn your name and uses it, no numbers here!
Yeah no numbers at Hill Brothers...like the 70 hour rule, 11 hours of driving, 14 hours of working, etc. I used to run with those guys in my outlaw days.

What a fucking joke! Read this guy's post, it's all about hotel rooms, constellation sleepers, O/O spec'ed Volvos, etc...who gives a shit besides the lifestyle crowd? Curiously absent is any mention of pay, bennies, and hometime...which is what we're all really out there for (hobos excluded).