User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

nice. thanks bro for the info. i'm just concered about passing a test for the fact of I haven't touched a tractor trailer in over a year, last week being the first time since i got my cdl liscense from schooling in june 07. I am a pretty good learner, if the trainer/instructor will show me what i am doing. AKA: mirror sight, etc. Such as arrow, they told me how to do such and such in the mirror but wouldnt show me in the mirror for themselves, i need a instructor in the seat to show me what i am looking for and all that. But i am a pretty good learner, just a few touch ups i pretty much need, my driving isn't horendous, it just needs a little bit of work, such as tight turns, and backing up thats pretty much it. I have no worries about being over the road what so ever. I can stay out for 2 months if need be. I am all about $$$. main thing is i' never give up, just was that arrow sent me home. But other then that the main problem was probably it being flatbed, i never had touched a flatbed trailer in my life, so things are a little complicated with that, i like the dry van and all that, alot more easier for me backing up and seeing what im doing.

As for jobs..i just applied on here for like 7 jobs that i met qualifications for. And i got a local company called SOUTHERN PINES TRUCKING that wants to hire me, so i'm gonna call them up tuesday and see what the deal is. I'll let you guys know as soon as something comes up. I hate flatbed though that's probably the worst job i ever seen lol maybe a few years down the line i'll like it, but not now i need to get expierence with the dry van first
Old 05-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Have you taken a good look at Southern Pines? Be forewarned they are predominantly suicide jockeys. Meaning they focus on serious HazMat (including radioactive materials.) It might be a good fit for you, but personally I have no interest in glow in the dark freight.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Rookie

yea not everything they do is hazmat cus i dont have hazmat just tanker endoresement, there a decent company and i live like 5 mins from thme
Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 PM

When I went to work for Arrow we were busy training Monday through Friday. We did not do as much training for driving as we did load securement. But then again orientation is not a CDL TRAINING CLASS.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: 22 years of age + Story about "Arrow Trucking"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwasherejr
2.) There training SUCKS.

then we go through road tests..and maybe 2 hours of training for mirror's. That's all. Mirrors. So we go on the road test on that thursday, everything was very rusty for me grinded gears, ran over a curb, and had trouble remembering what gear i was in) but all in all they told me $40 a day to go to training, so im there for 4 days and they boot me friday morning. Saying i failed and 4 weeks was not enough time for me to train OTR with a trainer.
Ok, let me see if I'm understanding this. You go to their orientation and you take the driving test. During the test you run over a curb, without much information it sounds like you could not control the vehicle. It also sounds like that you were given an opportunity (4 days) to get your 'rustiness' out - but again without much more information given I can only assume that you did not shake that much rust off. You then blame them for not 'training' you right?

Sorry, but the only thing I can say is ---- good luck.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Rookie

i only had one day of training with the mirrors. i got there tuesday and they were suppost to road test me tuesday and never did, and they had there favorites there. believe me they did. i didnt get a road test till thursday and i only got two (one after another) and that was it..i was gone..

im really not worried about it though i'll eventually get to where i need to go im just gonna keep reading and practicing
Old 05-26-2008, 06:20 PM

I think part of your problem is exactly what others have pointed out. You went into this expecting training. Orientation is not training. Yes, at a flatbed company it often includes load securement and the like, but no one is going to teach you how to drive or shift in orientation. Perhaps what you need is to find a company that offers a refresher course. Not full training, but a quick run through to get you back up to speed.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I can stay out for 2 months if need be. I am all about $$$.
If your wanting a job driving a semi OTR for the money. Well lets just say you won't last long out there, by your self, driving all day every day making peanuts.

Driving all day dealing with 4 wheelers, rush hour traffic, low overpass's, New York!. You could make the same money working as a manager with overtime at Mcdonalds. It's a stressful job at times, then factor in your 2000 miles from home and won't see home for a long time.

Waiting several hours to get loaded can be fun, several more hours to get unloaded. HOS are fun to follow to. Work 80 hours, log 60 get paid for 40!

I spent a year out there, may go back when I'm older, Only 24 myself. My new job I get paid hourly and no free time anymore its nice.

Oh and about the money, I went in with nothing to my name, came out after a year with a street bike and 15 grand in the bank... So you can make some, just be smart with it.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Rookie

like i said and i appreciate everything you guys are telling me i really do. in the long run it will HELP ME OUT. im not worried about work. $$$ is not the only thing i care about, i also like trucking because I dont have to have a boss in my face 24/7..it seems as if most of you pick out the flaws and keep running with it, i dont see why..i understand im being selfish and all but from my stand point you have to understand, i'm only 22 years old..I've never driven over the road, i'm sorry Im not 30-40 years old and already know about this stuff, because I dont. I come to you guys asking for advice. My biggest reason for trucking is i get to spend time by myself (alot of time) and i know about alot of the stuff that happens. believe me it will not bother me working as much and what not, you see theres sacrifices that have to be made in life and this IS the career i want. Yes, it may be stressful but thats life what isnt stressful? If i go out there and spend 1-3 years over the road, then i can come back and get a local job my dad works at this one company that wants to hire me in december, so we'll see what goes on. I'm a fighter not a quitter, and I will make it through this time. I just cant see myself working a labor job for 8hr the rest of my life, Ive done that since i was 17 and i just cant do it anymore im sorry. I need something less stressful on my body.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:18 AM

When I went to Arrow I had just gotten my cdl. Did not even go to a school. And like you the recruiter got me in as an experienced driver. However, before I ever took a road test I went to Dave Turner himself and explained that I was actually at a level below a cdl grad. Because I went to them , we were able to work through the situation and they agreed to send me with a trainer and let me have 2 extra weeks.