User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Things have changed :cry: <---> :wink:

Have a temp milk license ( still need to take the test, but not a problem. )
I have a better run takes 11 to 14 hours to do 4 days on 2 days off.
Love being home every night, pay cks are great, probation is over in 1 more month, then i get a raise!! they took over a few more farms and had to hire more drivers, thus putting me up higher on the list

Only down fall I've ran into is, someone moved my motorcycle while I was out working. Really ticked me off, I keep it out of the way, but guess someone wanted that itty bitty spot I was in.

Called dispatch about it, they are going to look into it ( like if they will find out who and why :roll: but at least they are trying, and are going to talk to the night watchman to make sure it doesn't happen again. Guess I just need to lock my forks so it doesn't happen again.

They also said it's time to figure something out :? think they mean putting in motorcycle parking spots, not sure but will ask, I know of 6 or 7 other people that ride bikes to work, so I hope that's what they ment.

This company gets better and better every day in my eyes, could be the last place I ever work.

with the gas prices as they are looking at putting my motorhome someplace and on days I'm "really Tired " crash out.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

That's great it's working out for you. The commute must take some getting used to after a long shift.

Can you say where your runs are?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Never heard of a Milk License before...is this something the Health Dept requires or your employer???
Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
Never heard of a Milk License before...is this something the Health Dept requires or your employer???
Washington State Department of Agriculture requires I have this. As far as the drive back home after a long day... I know someone that has a tractor trailer repair shop. Going to ask and look into maybe putting my motorhome in his yard so I can get proper rest. He offered to store it before, but staying in it is another story. going to have to get with the CITY and say something like I'm security or something so they don't try to boot me out.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Board Member

well got my Milk License last month, almost fell off a milk storage tank during the test, but it was a breeze, flew through it. The drive to and from work after long hrs at work are getting easier.

Been rescued 3 times ( means I ran out of the 14 or 16 hours allowed for that day, and they send a pickup to swap with me so I can get back to the yard "on the clock" or they get me a hotel for the night. Have done both )

Got another raise with another one coming in a month or 2. Pay checks are getting bigger , and they have been better then working otr from day 1.

This last pay check was 2300.00 take home, after taxes, medical, 401k ect I use to have to bust my butt to make a little less then 1/2 of that before I got into trucking. Wish I would have got into it sooner, saved my old tired body.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

things just keep getting better....
Went to a meeting today, and they said lay offs were just around the corner.
So I went to the big boss after the meeting and asked if I was on the list of people getting laid off.
Answer was no, and in fact, I was being transferred to Pasco, 10 miles from my house in Jan.

They are doubling the drivers in Pasco to meet the need... this is awsome
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm getting back to a place where I would want to drive again, but the long hours is not something I'd want any part of.

Once the Pasco yard is up I'll give them a call. Maybe they would want some part time drivers. Part time sounds like it would be around 35 hours... lol :lol:
Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2 View Post
things just keep getting better....
Went to a meeting today, and they said lay offs were just around the corner.
So I went to the big boss after the meeting and asked if I was on the list of people getting laid off.
Answer was no, and in fact, I was being transferred to Pasco, 10 miles from my house in Jan.

They are doubling the drivers in Pasco to meet the need... this is awsome
Nice to see that you and Milky worked out. Good for you.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Board Member

winter driving in smooth core tanks has it's moments. thought I left a brown mark on the seat once, but didn't. cks keep getting bigger, and bid time for new routes start this month, so I may loose my route. Can't think of anyone in there right mind that would want my route, but it's constant and I know what I'm doing and what time to start.

It's nice to know when you run out of hours ( during a run ) the office doesn't get pissy , they just get you a hotel and you finish your route the next day. Things happen like flats, chaining several times a day, or the other driver your swapping with is behind, and you just can't make it back to the yard.

OR you read where your going and read it wrong like DBO and DPO.
Last second route change, your 4 hours behind before you start and rushing. DBO is normally a baker city swap, and DPO is a plant in Portland. Yup I did it, went to baker city to find out I needed to go to Portland.

Felt like a dunce when I called asking where my swap was. All they did was ask if I had the hours to make it to Portland and unload. I looked and said I'll have about 20 minutes left after unloading if I don't have them wash my tanks. They said get moving and they will get me a hotel near by. Told them I was sorry and they said it happens. Learned a lesson... slow down... no matter how far behind you think you are, pay attention, and double check.

Doesn't look like Pasco is going to expand now. Key work is looks, still not sure, so I may have to keep driving to Sunnyside for work. Got use to it, so no big deal if Pasco doesn't double it's man power.

All in all.... Great company to work for, and glad I made the switch.

Oh forgot ... Bidding... There are a couple of runs going up for bid that not to many people will want to do, If I lose my route I'll put a bid on them. Requires you to lay over for 1 night and finish the run the next day. Not to many people want to be away from home, so think I have a good chance of getting this run if my route gets taken away from me

Last edited by glasman2; 01-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Rookie
Wink Milk Man

Glas:

I'm a fellow milk hauler from the state of Michigan - and I love it.

I had to get a Milk Haulers license also. It's a food grade thing. Since I do pick up from a farm and deliver to plants in a 5 state radius .

I drive for a O/O, so my pay is by the load, most days it works out (as far as breaking it down by the hour). There are days though that getting caught at the dairy really kicks ya right in the azzzzz, but 90% of the time you can get in and out.

I'm glad everything is working out for you, and I know for a fact that the money in killer !

Keep both hands on the wheel , and take her slow in and out of the curves, and always get ready for that nice little " SURGE " !!!!!!!